• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Freak should focus less on remakes going forward and do this instead

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • Instead of Game Freak making strict remakes such as Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, Game Freak should make future games that take place in previous regions, but with a completely different story and overall new experience. For example, instead of completely remaking the Pokémon Black and White or even Pokémon Sun and Moon on the latest console, Game Freak should make a completely different Pokémon game that takes place in Unova or Alola that has a different cast of main characters, newly discovered legendary Pokémon along with the previous ones, different story, and updated gameplay that allows the new Pokémon games to function similar to today's Pokémon games. This would be similar to, say, the Grand Theft Auto series, where different games take place in Liberty City and San Andreas, but with a completely different experience in each of those games. For instance, GTA 3 and GTA 4 both take place in Liberty City, and GTA: San Andreas and GTA V both take place in San Andreas, but each game is extremely different from the other. With this, we can get real updates on the well-being of previously known characters, see how the regions are progressing and changing over time, and so on. I believe doing this could also relieve the pressure of Game Freak having to create a ton of new Pokémon each generation as well.

What do you think?

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • This, this, this!

I've been practically for a completely new, nom-remake game set in a future Kanto/Johto for a while now - even moreso after playing the Alola games and later the fan game Xenoverse. Game Freak has been annoyingly vague about what happened to most of the characters past Sw/Sh and it's time for them to rectify that. It'd be awesome.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I don't think they'll ever stop doing remakes since that's more or less free money now due to the nostalgia of it all, but I do think this could be a fun take.

And they'll probably keep outsourcing them like they did with BDSP since they're doing big projects now that their workforce can't handle as is, but I do wish they'd entertain the idea.

Make something more in the general vibe of P:LA, but future, I guess.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • For Black/White, I'd rather they do a remake, but with a twist. Like, it's in Unova, but in the far future. I don't think remakes will ever stop, though. Over the years, they've definitely become less needed. I do want more Legends games, though, but Game Freak is extremely unpredictable every generation. Whether we get one or not is up in the air.

Years
  • It's really a shame they discard whole region after each Gen and only return to it with remakes. It made me not really care about each new region that much.

I would welcome new games with new stories in old regions. One wish I have is for story-focused game, that takes place only on small portion of the region and flashes it out more.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • That would be neat, but we all know thats not going to happen

We don't know this for sure. Pokémon does not seem afraid to try new things these days. They gave us Pokémon Legends: Arceus, which was a completely new experience than what we're used to from Pokémon. I can see them entertaining this idea sometime in the future.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    This is an awesome idea. A game with the mechanics and style of Pokemon: Sword and Shield set in the Johto region where you go through Johto and then Kanto would be amazing. It would be cool if they set the game up pretty much the same as these two but have different characters and different Pokemon in each region. You would still be limited to the Pokemon for Kanto and Johto but there would be different Pokemon and maybe even different gym leaders and Elite Four. Also, having new people in Team Rocket; maybe instead of Giovanni as the Team Rocket boss, his son or daughter has taken his spot. Also, maybe they could have "safari"-like regions later on in the game where you can catch some of the newer Pokemon. It would be cool to have the game set like 30 years in the future. I think this would also sell well because you would have the newer fanbase wanting to but a new game and the older fanbase wanting to buy the game out of nostalgia.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I don't see them abandoning remakes, but I do agree, and I hope the likes of Legends: Arceus will encourage them to explore this route further.

Back