• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Error] Game takes too long to save, and game crashes

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2023
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

So I've been working on my fangame for quite a while now, and just recently the game has been unable to save. It starts to save, only to be greeted by "The script is taking too long. The game will restart." which the game stops responding right after.

I don't think it's a hardware issue since the same happened on my gaming PC as well, and when I sent it to my friend to test. I tried going back to the base amount of Pokémon in the game, and it still stops responding. Same for the maps in game.

Only once I was able to save, but I've been continuing testing using the save states script to try to see what rooms, and the time I saved was only really a fluke.

Has this happened to anyone before? This only started a few days ago and I've been confused ever since! Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2024
    I didn't encounter it myself, but this type of error is usually caused by an "infinite or near infinite" loop.The script will always check if the code it's executing actually continues.If it loops at the same spot for too long it breaks out of the code, resulting in that error message. An example of this happening would be:
    Code:
    a = 0
    loop do break if a>0
      a-=1
    end
    Try looking in your code for anything you changed from the base Essentials version, especially for loops. :)

Back