• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game vs Hack

Years
  • I've been planning a game for pokemon for some kind, but should it be made into a "game" or should I hack? I know that pokemon "games" are more versatile, but is it easier than hacking?

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • Games - you can create virtually anything with gamemaker software. Such as a lot of customizable things. And, you can have all regions.

Hacks - You have something to start with. It's easier in my opinion. (Mostly because a lot of the stuff is programmed for you. (i.e. flags, sprites) Plus, anyone can make one with the use of tools, even if it's just a map edit.

I've never tried game-making, but I've heard it's rather difficult. I'll definately try it down the road.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Games aren't actually hard to make, now that there's a completed Pokémon starter kit for RMXP. It has all the 3rd gen Pokémon, moves, abilities and items coded already, as well as parts of 4th gen.
    What hackers call 'scripting' is much easier to do with RMXP, and has more features which can't be done in hacks. What game developers call 'scripting' is impossible with ROM hacks.
    Here's the main advantages of each method, assuming you use the starter kit:
    ROM Hacking
    -Attack animations.
    -Already have a region to start with.
    -Ability to play on GBA/DS using flash card.
    -Don't have to code advanced features such as contests.
    -Tools are free (RMXP costs $60).
    Game Dev
    -Not restricted to editing pre-made things.
    -No 25 new Pokémon limit.
    -Less limitations overall.
    -Much easier to insert Pokémon, sprites etc.
    -No need to index sprites.
    -'Scripting' is much easier.
    -Can add new effects for moves, items etc.
    -More control over some things.
    -Most importantly, you can edit the actual game engine, for example, you can change the menu system or the screen resolution.
    -However, the scripting language needed for more advanced features is quite hard to learn, but when you do, you can do nearly anything.
    It really depends on what you want to achieve. Try looking around the hacks and games to see what's possible with each method. If I tried ROM hacking, it would feel really limited compared to what you can do with RMXP.
    And asking in Game Development is going to be a bit biased. Try asking the same thing in ROM Hacking.

EDIT: You could always try both, and see which you prefer.

Xiros

-Pokémon Omega Creator-
    Years
  • I've been planning a game for pokemon for some kind, but should it be made into a "game" or should I hack? I know that pokemon "games" are more versatile, but is it easier than hacking?

Actually, it's up to you. Rom Hackers will say that hack roms are better, and game makers will say that RPG Maker/Game Maker is better.
    I'm a rom hacker, and i'm also starting on RPG Maker, and it isn't truth that a hack is "much easier", they both have their easy part and their difficult part.
    I suggest you to play rom hacks and also games made in rpg maker or game maker, etc. and then decide.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • Ive started with RMXP some years ago and also have tried ROM hacking. I found out Rom hacking alot more difficult than rmxp, maybe because you have to have alot of tools not just one like rmxp and i had alot of problems indexing sprites.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2015
    It really depends on the person. Ive seen people who can hack roms easily, while I find it very hard, and people who find RMXP hard, while I find it very easy. Really, it all comes down to what you think is easier. Just try a little of both.

I attempted ROM hacking, because as of right now there is no way to play RPG maker games on the psp, while there are GB and GBA emulators for it, and I liked the idea of being able to take my game with me. I couldn't quite figure it out though, even with all the tutorials I found. Other then that, theres really no difference. You can make a quality game either way.

Geeked

Pokemon Crimson Version
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2012
    After trying both, I've come up with the conclusion, that RPG Maker is easier for me.. however, I've found that the Rom hacking Community is more popular than this.. So I figured If I hack my hack would be played more than if I made a game... But then I found other Communities dedicated to RMXP.. So I'd go with Game developing, for it's easiness, you could release it on several communities, and there's a tut to turn it into a single (.exe)

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    Games would take longer to make, but they would be much better, and more glitch free than Hacks, however, Hacks are a great alternative if you want to make the product you plan on making faster.

Back