• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gameboy Adv < DS?

vizforte

The Memoriam.
Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    I really love pokemon, as most of you do. I have GSC, RSE, LG/FR. I wish to get a DS soon, and was wondering if I should trade in my Gameboy for it. I have other things as well, but the Gameboy could get me 20-45 bucks (not kidding) off of the DS at this one store. Only reason I am hesitant, is for one simple fact. Will I be able to PLAY my GB GBA games ON the DS?

I heard something about being able to put RSE into it to be able to have a Dongle effect and for Pal Park. But does that mean it would work with any GBA game? or even old skool GB games? Like Tetris, or Super Mario Land?

Thanks much, Vizforte. ^^

Years
  • I know for sure you can play GBA games in the DS. I am not sure about GBC or original GB games.

I would keep your GBA because you can not do any TRADING in any GBA game while in the DS, because the DS only trades over wireless and none of the GBA games support that wireless. If you have a gamecube that you transfer pokemon with you would also have to have a GBA.

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    Hmm, that is a good point. I do however have an old Advanced GB, before they got the light. So, I can hold unto that, if all else fails. Does anyone know, or able to findout if the old skool Gameboy games work in the DS?

Mewstor

Legend Reality
    Years
  • You can't play GBC or GB games on DS. Only GBA games.

Edit: And of course the DS games :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    DS can only play DS and GBA games.
    DS does not support any GBA link cables.
    So I'd suggest selling your SP and keep your original GBA just in case.

Le_Avatar

Experienced Trainer & Breeder
    Years
  • Yeah keep the GBA, in fact... I just bought one last week to be able to trade from Gamecube and with other peoples who don't have DS... Really worth it in my opinion :)

MegaMushroom07

Animal Crossing Most-Wanted
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    Keep it. If you have a Gamecube game, you won't be able to connect with the DS.

Harwinder

Pokemon Breeder - EV Trainer
    Years
  • Well, like everyone else said KEEP it for the following reasons:
    1. You can trade between all the NON-DS games.
    2. You can trade with the Gamecube Pokemon games.(if you have r/s/e)
    3. Just so you have one.
    4. That store is ripping you off with the price, you can sell a GBA SP to some people for $50.

MegaMushroom07

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    Or, you could keep it for 10 years, and sell it to a sweaty, unloved and obese fan of retro objects who browses Ebay whilst moderating a shallow website that reflects their lifestyle.

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    LOL, I didn't think you were. And if I had a Higher paying job. I would consider it, atm. I am going thru different collections of mine to sell off. Comics, games, and collectables. I've become less materialistic than I was as a child.

MegaMushroom07

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    Well, a lot of mods don't even get paid. Some stay on all day scanning the forums for minor infractions, and hit the 'BAN' key, which the personally fitted into their keyboard. Makes me wonder how such people sleep. No doubt surrounded by Coke, and take-away Pizza.

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    I wonder why is this in the D/P forum.

-MOVED-

And. MegaMushroom, I don't drink too much Coke.

It was on the D/P forum, because it started as a DP question. lol. It evolved into something else. Not my fault.

Back