• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gameplay vs. Graphics

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2011
    Gameplay vs. Graphics

I have created this thread to discuss the factors of Gameplay vs. Graphics within hacks.

Of course, although a great "all-rounder" hack is much more prefered, I would much rather play a hack that has been completely scripted to improve Gameplay than I would playing a hack which has only been re-tiled/mapped.

"Icing on the cake." (but where's the cake?!)
    I do not feel that a hack based solely upon new Graphics is very interesting. Sure, it looks great, but the Gameplay hasn't changed much, or at all. I think this is much more common in new hackers which have not been hacking long enough to have learned, or understood, any scripting. I'm saying this with experience to back me up. I have noticed that just about everytime I go to start something, it always seems to be the Graphics.

"Running before you can walk."
    I think that it is too easy for new hackers to download programs, such as AdvanceMap, and start going crazy with mapping. I know these programs are very useful, and I wouldn't change them for the world, I just think that it's the wrong approach to be made when starting out. If I could forget everything I knew now, to go back and start with scripting, I'd do it in an instance! New hackers are onto something new and get carried away, they have essentially no real experience of hacking. (Some people may have different views when it comes to the meaning of hacking.)

Anyways, I've put forward some of my views...and now it's your turn! I hope there's a lot to talk about here and look forward to reading everyone's point of view on this topic.

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
  • Well, just as a suggestion, which is how I started with my hacking life... Just get the basic mapping knowledge, and A LOT of scripting knowledge. Then, when you are making your game, do the basic mapping and make one or two maps, and after you finished mapping and planning the locations of events and NPCs, start scripting. Then keep mapping other few maps, and switch to scripting once again. Do not worry about your mapping being too bad at first, because, at the moment of the release, BEFORE you release the Beta, you should make a checkout of your maps, and start improving them as you can.
    In the end, do not worry too much about mapping, that can be easily improved as time passes, however, we would enjoy much more seeing new events going on the game EARLY, and we could say "hey, with just a little improvment on the graphics, this game would rock!"

Gameplay > Graphics, and Prism is a good example (my game was also when it was starting, now that I have a lot of gameplay done I can now start worrying a bit more about the graphical part)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I like this thread. I, myself, prefer the gameplay a million times over the graphics. If twenty years ago people could play videogames with horrible graphics, I don't know why nowadays a game is bad just because the graphics aren't almost real. Unless I can't tell what anything is, I don't care. As I already said, I prefer Wind Waker over Ocarina.

In that sense, I think that hackers should concentrate first in scripts, plotline and some features before getting awesome graphics. Once again, Prism should be considered the best example ever: G/S/C graphics, but some features which would put Nintendo to shame. In the other hand, we have some games which offer an identical gameplay, but great graphics. The big problem is that I already know the 99% of what they can offer, so it's difficult for me to get interested.
    Again, the main cause is that changing graphics is much easier than changing anything else, so most of the people only do that at the beggining :\

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Gameplay Over Graphics, because, even though a game might have awesome graphics, it may have s***ty gameplay and then I never want to play the game again.

Hell, my hacks get flamed a lot because of Graphics, but I seriously think people could make a New or different style of Sprites and tiles other than the Pokémon even if the game being hacked is Pokémon. That's one of the reasons I chose to make my hack a South Park hack, It's a completely different style than Pokémon's spiriting style.

Also Prism even though it's a GSC hack, I'd play it anyday over a GBA hack, since CBM has made they Gameplay super awesome.

Godot

That's one of my rules.
    Years
  • Gameplay > Graphics. Definitely. I'd take Prism over some of the advance hacks here ANY DAY. I really despise those people who come onto Prism or some other GSC hacks' thread and go, "OMG, a GSC Hack, EWWWW! I'm not playing it cause it has horrible graphics! Make it advanced!" People who think this are stupid, for one reason... Gameplay > Graphics. Another prime example is the Wii. There's one reason it has outsold the other systems... Gameplay > Graphics.(well, and maybe the price XD) But you get my point, eh?

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    Exacly hmmmmmm graphic or gameplay what good side of rom hacking shall i pick? Oh yes gameplay of course because if you worked on graphics more then scrpts and maps you would hardly get any work done so i suggest u work on graphics only when youve done the main things.So what if prism has terrible graphics if you noobs will say in the prism thread "please make this a GBA hack the graphics arent good" you can be quiet because CBM added a hell of lot features.

If you think graphics are completly terrible in GBC then when you play red,ble,yellow and grren and also g/s/c did you complain about the GRAPHICS ????HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!.You people probably got into graphics when r/s/e and fr/lg was out so you probably dumped those good old GBC colour games.

Last edited:

~*Pikafan*~

Man I gotta stop leaving!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 23, 2011
    Gameplay >>>> Graphics anyday. If you have a GBA game with horrible gameplay, it's not much of a game, is it? Like everyone else is saying, Prism is an amazing game using G/S/C. I use GBA games for a few reasons:

1. It has all pokemon (except for Sinnoh)
    2. I have more tools for GBA games than for GSC and I can't find any tools for them.

If it weren't for those two (especially number 2), then I'd be hacking Gold, Silver, or Crystal probably.

spenceroone3

<he eats lots of burgers.
    Years
  • I'd hack GSC as well, but it is a lot harder, though I have lately done a bit of GSC scripting (Thanks to Blazichu :D )
    And I'm gonna say:

Gameplay = Graphics

mainly because I believe a good hack is one with good gameplay and graphics. Don't you agree?

I still like GSC hacks though, who cares about their graphics? It isn't possible to import sprites with a 3rd gen pallete, so you know that they can't fix it anyway.

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
    Years
  • Always, ALWAYS gameplay over graphics. Graphics are an important feature to tell the player where he/she is and what's going on, but comparing Gameboy color to Gameboy Advance, it's just eye candy.

Have you read reviews for video games that got a 9/10 in graphics, but a 5/10 or 6/10 in gameplay? We probably all have.

This is a problem with the mainstream media of video games as well. Theres many games that always boast on how great the graphics are, but the gameplay is very poor. I feel the quality of video games in general have been dropping in the recent years just because the video game companies focus on graphics more than the gameplay. Of course lots of reviewers are bias too and can deem it bad and unplayable just because the graphics aren't the best, so maybe they feel they don't have a choice. Of course theres good video game companies that make good graphics and good gameplay.

Graphics are the prime selling factor in video games - when you see a commercial on TV, it shows you a screen/video of the video game, what's the first thing you notice? Graphics. They can't demonstrate really how it's like to control these characters and all the other gameplay features, so they usually state the basics "you can shoot enemies in yet another unoriginal first person shooter etc. Rated M for Mature".

As long as I can see and understand what's going on, then the graphics are fine. Anyone can make a game based on eye candy, but it takes true talent and imagination to add and contribute to the already broad gameplay of Pokemon games.

Last edited:

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
  • I'll take a game with average graphics and great gameplay over a game with great graphics and only average gameplay. any day. no questions asked. The gameplay is what makes it fun, the graphics are extra

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    Went said:
    As I already said, I prefer Wind Waker over Ocarina.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Wind Waker has the better graphics and Ocarina has the better game play. Reason for me saying that is Ocarina has very square graphics as you can plainly see and Wind Waker has very smooth graphics that doesn't appear to be a bunch of squares.

Now that I got that point across, it is always gameplay over graphics. Look at the Mario Bros. games they are an excellent example of this. It might not have the best graphics but it has really fun and entertaining gameplay. Graphics on new consoles are getting better and I respect that as long as the gameplay side is keeping up with it. Many hacks just need to worry about the gameplay instead of the graphics.

Years
  • Gameplay > Graphics.

Hack's Don't need great graphics to be a great game.
    Look at Liquid Ocean, a former HOTY and it's still using FR tiles, maybe it has a new palette but still using Mainly original FR tiles. Graphics should be treated like the final touches on a hack.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2011
    Hey All!

Great to see all of you posting your views, this is exactly what I wanted to see...discussion! I wasn't too sure if this thread would take off at all, but it does seem as though there's a bit to talk about.

I think you can all see it's been established that Gameplay favours over Graphics when it comes to hacking, that's what 90% of you have stated up until now.

As for the other 10%:

And I'm gonna say:

Gameplay = Graphics

mainly because I believe a good hack is one with good gameplay and graphics. Don't you agree?

I would say that:

[the perfect hack] = Gameplay + Graphics

Of course everyone wants to play the perfect hack, but individuality rules out the perfect hack. Not everyone enjoys the same hack another person does. That's why people create their own hack, which may be their way of expressing what they think their version of the perfect hack is.

That's why Prism wasn't made to look like eye candy, if it was, I'm sure it would have been GBA, fow show.

I understand what you're saying, I just think that a lot more time should be taken to increase the level of Gameplay within a hack. :)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Sorry to burst your bubble, but Wind Waker has the better graphics and Ocarina has the better game play.

Again, that's only personal taste. I sincerely enjoyed loads more sailing than being lost in a lot of dungeons. Because OoT, since you grow up is only that. Dungeons.
    If you prefer, I still like more WW than TP.

As to spenceroone3, of course a game with both graphics and gameplay is awesome. But think that, for whatever reasons you can only have one of them in its higest level. What would you choose?

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2008
    I feel that the gameplay is much more important than graphics. Too often people, in an attempt to "beef up" their graphics will create horrid tilesets that make my eyes scream when I look at them. The main focus of a game is well...to be played, not to be looked at (although that is what you do to play it, but that isnt the point).
    In a perfect hack, I think that gameplay is still more important than graphics. The gameplay is why people play a game, graphics can augment that, but they should not be equal, gameplay should always have priority.

Antwhan

setting up for the big beta
    Years
  • ah the age old debate.... since I'm in a hobnobing mood after getting bck from an xmas party, i'm going to make some:
    crysis...a gorgeous mofo of a game.....but it's got nothing new in the gameplay department...

the yearly games, we all know them....all loathe them....they come one to take stabs at wallets everywhere....yet eventhouhg they continue to look better they still kinda play the same, w/ no major changes....

mario galaxy...nt an hd game, but it plays amazing, and still looks well enough...

ratchet and clank games....they hve good visuals but continue to evolve the platformer in great ways....

gameplay is much more important than graphics....heck even some 8bit games play great 2day and we still will pay and play them...

it's better to wrk on gameplay then wrk toward grpahics

Aqua Mudkip

LOL I'm okay!
    Years
  • Aqua Mudkip:/ I'd choose GamePlay cause that's the main part of the game. You can't have a glitchy and boring game. Cause that would be too "noobish" or something else. On the other hand, Graphics is also needed to add up better GamePlay and appearance.

So my answer is: GAMEPLAY/

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Gameplay is the best answer to anything you want to accomplish. A hack is always about gameplay no matter what the graphics may look like. The people should really concentrate on the plot, scripts and everything else that makes a game special.reaks my heart, when someone says, how bad these hacks are, if you do not like these hacks, then why post on the threads? Why? We don't need absolute colorfulness, the main point is that its always about gameplay, yeah sure FR/LG has greater graphics than the Metal/color games, but does it really matter. People should not comment on a game by the graphics they should really appreciate the game.

~Celebi

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
  • Well Anyone can do graphics, Not everyone can Make a Asm hack.

So I'm going to say Gameplay > Graphics

Graphics won't do good, when you're playing the same FireRed, Even if you have Great Gameplay Sometimes you'll get tired of Old Graphics.

I wish I could say more, but...

Back