• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Games Deleting?

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    So yeah. I haven't played Yellow, Red, Blue, Silver, Gold, or Crystal in a long time.

I just recently put them into my GBA, and something weird happened.

On every game, my accounts were deleted...

How does this happen? Do accounts automatically delete when you don't play for a large amount of time?

That's stupid...

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    The older games have a problem where the save simply gets deleted due to a battery problem.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    So is there even any point in playing them anymore if the games will just delete themselves, or what?

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2011
    Well, do any new saved files get deleted? It could have just been something that went funky at one point if files still save. I remember at one point my file on my Red version got deleted (this was a long time ago), but every file made since then has been saved properly. Could be something like that.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    Well on Pokemon Blue, I turned on my game and it said 'Your file has been destroyed!'

It kind of made me mad when I seen it, and never really wanted to play it since then.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I sympathize with you, the same thing happened to me recently. I decided to look at my old Crystal file, and it wasn't there... no message or anything, just gone. So I started a new file and got to Ecruteak, but when I turned it on the next day, I got a message saying "Your save file is corrupted" and it refused to let me play.

Seems like bad future-planning on the game makers' parts to me.

Morgenstern

"Lame."
    Years
    Like Eon-Rider said, I think it's something to do with the internal battery failing. I know it's possible to replace them... But it might be more hassle than it's worth, because I don't think you'll get your old save file back, and you can pick up the older games really cheaply nowadays.

The same thing happened to my Pokemon Crystal /: May he/she rest in peace xD

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    Well that's weird with the first generation games. It's common in second generation games, but I've never heard of it happening with first generation games.

My first generation games work just fine, and so does my Crystal version, thankfully... But Gold and Silver, the batteries are done for. =(

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Well that's weird with the first generation games. It's common in second generation games, but I've never heard of it happening with first generation games.

My first generation games work just fine, and so does my Crystal version, thankfully... But Gold and Silver, the batteries are done for. =(
    Well...you CAN replace the batteries with a little bit of work. First gen games don't use so much battery power because they don't have to keep track of the time.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Reading things like this worries me, My Blue and Silver versions still work perfectly fine, but my concern with Silver is that the battery will die soon (To be fair, it's now 8 or 9 years old and my current game has over 300 hours racked up). I would be absolutely, genuinely gutted if that did happen as i'm pretty close to completing my Dex, I have plenty of well-trained Pokémon and basically i've got a lot of good memories of that game. Added to the fact that i've put so much time and effort into it, it'd be VERY disheartening for me.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    You should start looking in to things that you can possibly back up your saved data with if it's that precious.

Smooky

You blinked, didn't you?
    Years
    Reading things like this worries me, My Blue and Silver versions still work perfectly fine, but my concern with Silver is that the battery will die soon (To be fair, it's now 8 or 9 years old and my current game has over 300 hours racked up). I would be absolutely, genuinely gutted if that did happen as i'm pretty close to completing my Dex, I have plenty of well-trained Pokémon and basically i've got a lot of good memories of that game. Added to the fact that i've put so much time and effort into it, it'd be VERY disheartening for me.

Maybe you should get Pokemon Stadium 2, and register your Pokemon onto it. I'm sure you can find a working N64 and game, try pawn shops or look on the internet.

Then, you'll still have something.

Hope this helps.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    You should start looking in to things that you can possibly back up your saved data with if it's that precious.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea actually. Transferring my Pokémon onto Stadium/Stadium 2 won't be a problem at all.

Though tbh it's not so much the data is more the fact that i've spent literally months and months of my life on that game training and raising Pokémon and trying to complete my Dex. The thought of all that time and effort being completely wiped really doesn't bode well.

Maybe you should get Pokemon Stadium 2, and register your Pokemon onto it. I'm sure you can find a working N64 and game, try pawn shops or look on the internet.

Then, you'll still have something.

Hope this helps.

Only just read your reply, sorry XD

But yeah, like I said above I can transfer my Pokémon onto Stadium 2 easily, that's really not a problem. It's just all the effort i've put into the game over the months and years. Would be devastated if it got lost.

That said, the game won't last forever. It's quite a morbid thought but it's a bit like death - inevitable lol.

Thanks for the advice though ^_^

Last edited:

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    There's a problem where the internal battery expires. It happened to my friend's Crystal version. The game has a battery in it which it uses to save games. Eventually, it expires.

Kevo182

Hero of Hyrule
    Years
    What about with 4th generation games? Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.
    is the same thing going to happen to these?

Valeran

Miserable Memories
    Years
    The way that DS and other games are handled are completely different. I'm pretty sure a DS game is just a flash chip which doesn't require it's own power source like a battery.

Unfortunately older carts of all types suffer this problem, it's not unique to Pokemon, the Game Boy or even Nintendo. So you can't really blame the "game makers" and saying it's bad future planning. Everyone single cart-based game will have the issue eventually. Game developers usually expect you to have moved onto another game they made before it happens.

Years
    I sympathize with you, the same thing happened to me recently. I decided to look at my old Crystal file, and it wasn't there... no message or anything, just gone. So I started a new file and got to Ecruteak, but when I turned it on the next day, I got a message saying "Your save file is corrupted" and it refused to let me play.

Seems like bad future-planning on the game makers' parts to me.

I wouldn't go that far. You do realize the Gen 1 and Gen 2 games are uber old right? All things come to an end. The more you play it, the sooner the things gonna crap out on you. Sure, I was devastated when I turned on my Red Version (Completed Pokedex) to find the save file was gone, but...it happens. I've had the game since...3rd grade? (is in college now). My silver is also broken, but it's my fault (used the pokebox cheat thingy on it to get masterballs).

You can't really blame the maker for the game not working 10 years in the future, lol. Technology just wasn't good enough back then. Most things NOW wont last ten years.

HiroUey

Pokemon Master of Masters!
    Years
    Its hard to let go, but i guess you have to, I have a crystal where my old save file was deleted, so i started a new one, i saved and cut off and then cut it back on, that file was also deleted. I also have a blue version that wont even start, it shows the gameboy sign and then when its suppose the years(1995-19somthing) the screen is just blank

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    Aye - this happens to my Silver version :( It's sad because that was my favourite of all of the games I had! XD *goes to buy another copy from Amazon*

Back