• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gameshark & Action Replay

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2014
    If you use a Gameshark, or Action Replay on a genuine copy of a Pokemon game, to say catch a Mew, or a Shiny Pokemon, does this damage your game? Are there any disadvantages to it, other then the fact that you cheated?

I've always wanted a Mew, but it's pretty much impossible to get one without a Time Machine to go back into time and go to Toys R Us, or using a cheating device.

I just don't want to hinder my SAVE FILE, or chances of battling other games.

Thanks for the response in advance.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • If you cheat correctly, there is no down side other than that you know you cheated. No one should even be able to tell that you cheated.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • It won't mess up your game.

If you're playing the GBA generation, hack away and go get that Mew. Nobody's gonna hound you down for that.

If you're playing the DS or 3DS generation, you could try to get a legitimate Mew/Shiny in a WiFi trade. If you can't find a willing person, just hack for your own entertainment and be sure not to trade away your hacked Pokemon. That's where the issue lies for me, as you can do whatever you want in your game, but once you ruin someone else's gaming experience, you're not playing adequately.

As for disadvantages, you may be prevented from battling at the official tournaments.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • As for disadvantages, you may be prevented from battling at the official tournaments.

Now here's something I'm curious about: if I use AR to get a (legal) event exclusive thus banning myself from tournaments, trade it to a different game, erase the save file and start a new one on the game where I used AR, and then trade the event exclusive back, am I still banned (the event exclusive just stays in the box and is never used on the internet in any capacity) ?

I'm not counting on battling online, just curious.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • I don't think hack checks check the 'mon in your PC, just the ones in your battle box. I'm not completely sure though. It's just better to get rid of it and err on the side of caution because once you're banned, good luck getting unbanned.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • After playing Frlg number of times. I decided to play Frlg one time with cheats for a change. I used cheats for wild pokemon appearance to get those pokemon that i never got.

Back