• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Garchomp vs Dragonite

RenzokukenofCerberus

The Heart Break Kid
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen May 3, 2009
    Alright now this isn't the usual, "Who is better?", kind of thread. My question is, if you have a battle between the two which move is more effective Ice Beam ( Which gets the 4x effective but no STAB bonus) or say an Outrage which caters to their superior atk power?

I ask cause I know for sure that my friend loves to run Garchomp, and I've loved Dragonite since the R/B/Y series, and I decided to try and EV train Dragonite in Atk and Def to bolster him for a physical move from Garchomp kinda without realizing he may be wide open for an Ice Beam OHKO.

So to those of you who love to crunch the numbers, what has a better chance of dropping Dragonite and/or Garchomp the Ice Beam or say Outrage??

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
    Alright now this isn't the usual, "Who is better?", kind of thread. My question is, if you have a battle between the two which move is more effective Ice Beam ( Which gets the 4x effective but no STAB bonus) or say an Outrage which caters to their superior atk power?

I ask cause I know for sure that my friend loves to run Garchomp, and I've loved Dragonite since the R/B/Y series, and I decided to try and EV train Dragonite in Atk and Def to bolster him for a physical move from Garchomp kinda without realizing he may be wide open for an Ice Beam OHKO.

So to those of you who love to crunch the numbers, what has a better chance of dropping Dragonite and/or Garchomp the Ice Beam or say Outrage??
    i can forsure tell you your more likely to ohko garchomp with ice beam then outrage.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    ok i would say garchomp wins only if it uses Outrage and if it goes before Dragonite With ice beam.
    i'ev used outrage with my salamance and 88% of the time it kills its target in 1 hit.

Kudra

IV breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2013
    Well if I did this right, a + nature max sp attack ice beam from Dragonite against neutral sp. defense Garchomp with no EVs invested in defense will do Damage: 122.97% - 144.54% according to the calculator I used. Max HP neutral Sp.Def Garchomp with no Sp.Def EVs will take Damage: 104.52% - 122.86%. Neutral Sp. def Garchomp not EV trained with about 100 EVs in each Sp.Def and HP will take Damage: 102.62% - 120.68%. Keep in mind, these calculations are with all IVs of 31. Basically, unless your friend IV breeds and EVs his Garchomp to have full HP an Sp.Def including a + nature, it won't survive an ice beam. Just watch out for a Yache berry, it will negate some of the damage. Also, Garchomp is much faster than Dragonite, so use a choice scarf. I'll post the calculations for outrage in a few min once I get them done.

Finished with outrage.
    Unboosted max attack Dragonite (+nature) outrage against Garchomp with nothing in defense does Damage: 129.69% - 152.66%. Against max HP Garchomp it does Damage: 110.24% - 129.76%. 100 EVs in both HP and Defense does Damage: 109.42% - 128.80%. Basically its still an Easy OHKO as long as he doesn't have max defense. Still use choice scarf and once again, this is with all 31 IVs.

Last edited:

RenzokukenofCerberus

The Heart Break Kid
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen May 3, 2009
    Ahh cool, and I guess since the weakness to ice goes both ways equally those Dragonite Ice Beam numbers are comparable to Garchomp's... so it looks like it's a race to see who gets the first hit. LOL

God I was hoping it wouldn't be that cause Garchomp runs circles around Dragonite. Does Choice Scarf really make that much of an impact on the speed?

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    God I was hoping it wouldn't be that cause Garchomp runs circles around Dragonite. Does Choice Scarf really make that much of an impact on the speed?

Do you even know what it does? The Pokemon's speed is multiplied by 1.5. Of course it makes that much of an impact.

Kudra

IV breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2013
    Well, actually Garchomp has no Ice move in its arsenal barring HP Ice. Even if it did, Garchomp's Special attack is much lower than Dragonite's and Dragonite's Defenses are higer. And yes, Choice Scarf Does make that much of a difference. It multiplies speed by x1.5. Basically one speed stage up so it Can outrun even the fastet Garchomp as long as you have at least a few EVs in speed.

The CriminaL

Party King
    Years
    Give your Dragonite the Choice Scarf and some Ev's just incase Garchomp is faster, since Ice Beam won't defeat it easily so, give some Ev's in attack also.

Back