• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen GEN 2 are bad starters?

AceTheHanyou

ShakeTheHanyou
Years
For the Gen 2 games, the starters (Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile) werent bad.
As time advanced and more starters appeared, they looked bad when comparing

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I have enjoyed every generation of starters except for Torchic so, i can't really choose.
Aww, what's wrong with the fire chicken? It was my favorite from the 3rd gen trio c: But I generally like fire starters, I guess. Almost always picked Cyndaquil in G/S/C.

People often confuse simplicity with something that is bad. The gen 2 starters are very basic and nothing about them particularly stands out. That said, I find them to be really wonderful Pokemon. I don't think they need a secondary typing or a mega evolution to make them great. I enjoy their designs and have always had a ton of fun using each and every one of them.
They would be pretty cool with some Mega evos though. The most difficult part would be to make one for Typhlosion that wasn't too simplistic I think.

Chikorita is underrated i feel. Its not the awesome sweeper that the water/fire starter is, and in general SP favors that type of play. But it got lot of tactical use, light screen, reflect, leech seed. Also, , while water types and arguably fire types are abundant, you cant really get a get a solid grass type until late game.
Yea, I always felt smart and cool when I managed to beat gym leaders with Chikorita or Bayleef (; But I most often picked Cyndaquil still.

Personally, I really adored the gen 2 starters. They looked so alien and energetic compared to the reptile-like gen 1 starters with their huge eyes and bulky designs. Chikorita is one of the very cutest pokémon, but I can't say I found its evolutions particularly useful. All in all, perhaps the gen 2 starters are a bit "boring" because they don't have much unique moves or typings to make them interesting in battles. But I still like their looks c: What mattered back then was perhaps mostly to make them very different from the Gen 1 pokémon.

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
Years
  • Age 33
  • ny
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
They may not be the strongest, but i found them the most adorable starters in all generations. Gen 5 starters are the worst in my opinion.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
I don't really hate the 2nd Generation starters; I only find them to be terrible compared to the other starters...except Delphox. And Emboar. And any other starter that sucks competitively.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Gen 2's starters are great. Their designs are a bit simplistic but definitely appealing. You have the cool Cyndaquil line, the tough Totodile line, and the adorable Chikorita line. They've got a lot of charm and I like them quite a bit, with the Chikorita line being my favorite (but props to Totodile for being cool, too!),

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 20, 2016
Tododile is my favorite however I've been using Chikorita a lot recently and I don't know why.
In my liquid crystal playthrough I'm using Chikorita right now.
I actually love the gen 2 starters.

Years
Feraligatr is a beast, so I nearly always picked Totodile. In my first ever playthrough I picked Cyndaquil. I'd say all 3 starters are fairly good.

Totodile is the speedrunners choice for Gen 2. Feraligatr can demolish everything including Red.

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
Years
  • Age 24
  • UK
  • Seen Jun 6, 2023
Personally I've always picked Totodile as my starter, mainly because I found it better looking than the other two and I usually go with water type starters. I have picked the other two at some points, but I don't remember ever having a problem with Chikorita. I did always try to build decent teams, so that might have helped a lot. Although they aren't my favourite starters, I don't personally find anything wrong with them :)

Mardovelin

cute + grumpy
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 19, 2018
i love these starters.

chikorita has no story, but i had a meganium card that i used to always use when i played with the cards. (i no longed have it though, rip)
cyndaquil was my first full-odds shiny so it earned a lot of my love and respect, especially since it's a fire type.
totodile was my original starter in hgss so i used it to demolish half the game with my ho-oh and ampharos. and spend half the game in the pokeathlon. good times.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
I was never a fan of Chikorita or any of her evolutions, but the other two are great starters. Typholosion was such a beast. If you leveled him up enough you could almost go through the entire game with just him and then maybe 2 or 3 others for backup, but you would definitely not need a full team of 6.

Nove Nu-Vonde

( acquaintances become antiquated )
Years
I myself have never been a fan of gen 2's starters. I might even go as far as to say they're my least favorite, even worse than gen 5 or 6's starters (though Serperior and Chesnaught really salvage those trios imo, whereas gen 2's trio has nothing). It's not that I particularly hate any of them, unlike Delphox or Emboar, they're just very, well, bland. The entire Typholsion line is passable, I suppose. Nothing noteworthy bad or good, just okay. Cyndaquil is pretty ugly actually but Quilava and Typhlosion are both a nice balance of cute and cool, albeit very overly simplistic. I mean, I'm all for simple design choices, not every Pokemon has to be some super beastly death machine, but there is absolutely nothing to make Typhlosion stand out from the rest of the bunch. It is the most generic Fire type ever, and for a Pokemon with as much symbolic importance as a starter, that is very bad. I may not be a fan of Delphox or Emboar but AT LEAST they tried to do something to stand out. It certainly doesn't help that I can't stop comparing it to a much better starter, Charizard, because Gamefreak was so lazy it gave them the exact same base stats. THAT alone is enough to make me hate Typhlosion. It does get extra points for making the game a breeze though.

I don't have much to say about Meganium. It's just a discount Venusaur, honestly. It's a green plant dinosaur best known for its big red and yellow flower, defensive stats, and an inexplicably popular middle evolution. Meganium is also pretty boring, design wise. I mean, not as bad as Typhlosion, but it's not winning any awards for most creative starter of the year, either. Not much to say here except that it's a slightly more feminine Venusaur (At least it gets its own stats though). I guess it's good if you want to play the game on hard mode?

Feraligatr is a mixed bag for me, honestly. Let's get the elephant in the room out of the way, first: the name. As in, it is reaching new levels of terrible, ESPECIALLY considering that we now have the technology to support 11 letter names and yet Gamefreak insists that this eyesore is acceptable. Was the concept of sticking the words "feral" and "alligator" just so incredibly clever to you guys that you just could bear to think of a new name? To take any letter out besides the O at the end? There are some Pokemon with some pretty lazy and unoriginal names out there, but at least they had the decency to spell them correctly. You don't see us battling with Talnflams or Flygns, do you? Outside of that, Feraligatr is okay, I guess. The lesser of the three evils. Its design clearly had far more effort put into it than I Can't Believe It's Not Venusaur!™ and every-Fire-type-ever over there, but at its core the base concept of Feraligatr is the least original of the three, and one of the least original in Pokemon, honestly. It's a blue alligator which is, who would have guessed, Water type. Oh boy, what a creative idea. Totodile and Croconaw are pretty cute though, I'll give it that. If I'm not picking Typhlosion because it makes the game a cake walk, this is the Pokemon you'll see me replaying Crystal or HGSS with.

TL;DR The gen 2 starters are easily my least favorite on account of being so boring and bland, and an uncreative meh Pokemon is arguably worse than a creative bad Pokemon.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Cyndaquil is the best; Quilava is one of my favorite Pokemon ever. I love Chikorita as well, and Totodile. I love Gen 2 starters because I think they are not too fancy but not too simple, they look enough like Pokemon intead of just real animals.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen May 22, 2017
gen 2 definitely are not my favorite batch of starters, but Meganium is underrated. It may be mono but if you capitalize on an almost all grass moves meganium its pretty OP.

TBH i think the pokemon(non starters) introduced in gen2 make up some of the worst pokemon in all the series. Id have to say gen 1 starters are my favorite, because...charizard...

Back