• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Gen I to gen VII

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    It sounds like we'll be able to move our Pokemon from the RBY re-releases to Sun and Moon, which is exciting, to say the least. But mechanically, how do you think this will work, given that the IV/EV structure supposedly made it impossible to move Pokemon from gen II to gen III, and demanded a reboot?

Also, given that the mechanics are so different, will the move change how you plan your RBY teams? I was thinking of making teams that were competitive by RBY standards, but those same movesets that work well in RBY may not work so well in modern games, with the physical/special split and changes in how many of the moves work.

SonOfASubmariner

Not the only one with an avatar R/B Golbat related
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2017
    Well, the transfer would yield some interesting results.
    Like Machamp with Fissure would turn out to have No Guard as an Ability.
    And Persian with Water Gun would end up having Technician and a Sp.Atk boosting Nature that isn't Modest.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I'll just be lazy and quote a post I made on another thread on this same subject :) .

Not really. The hardware/low-level software incompatibility (most probably the GBC and GBA networking protocols being too different to be compatible) was the main reason why Gen 1/2 and 3 could not connect. The new data structure is a result of GF realizing they no longer needed to ensure backwards compatibility and using this opportunity to create a new, more interesting, more balanced and kludge-free system.

I think the conversion will be simple. here's how I would do it:
    • Take each stat, calculate the ratio of EVs for this stat divided by the EVs in every stat. Then take the ratio of all gained EVs across all stats divided by all obtainable EVs, multiply by 510 to get the amont of EVs the convrted Pokémon will have. And then, using the ratios caculated for each stat, spread the EVs in the same proportion as they were in Gen 1 (factor in the ratio calculated for the Special stat twice, for obvious reasons). There sure will be side effects, because Pokémon in Gen 1 could have all their EVs maxed out instead of two stats, so a perfect ace in Gen 1 will become a Jack of all trades, master of none in Gen 7, but hey, what can you do?
    • Multiply the IVs by two and add one. Use the formula that is more or less used in Gen 1 to determine the HP IV (which didn't exist as an independent value back then) and to the same.
    • Use the same formula as in Gen 2 to determine the gender and whether the Pokémon is shiny.
    • Transfer the species, the nickname (they might not keep this one, with their paranoid censorship system and everything) , the moves and the experience points verbatim.
    • Everything else... well, there's nothing to base Natures, Abilities and everything else on, so that will be determined at complete random. Factoring in other data could make the conversion formula open for abuse (imagine if someone discovered a series of moves or something a particular Pokémon could have to get the best abilities in Gen 7) .

It's not a perfect algorithm, and I might have missed a lot of stuff, but this is how I imagine it working.

Years
  • I think the best thing to come out of the ability to transfer from the RBY downloads to Sun & Moon is the fact you could be getting old 1st Gen TMs onto a game with modern mechanics and that will allow for some new movesets for 7th Gen competitive play.

Years
  • I think the best thing to come out of the ability to transfer from the RBY downloads to Sun & Moon is the fact you could be getting old 1st Gen TMs onto a game with modern mechanics and that will allow for some new movesets for 7th Gen competitive play.
    I don't think that is going to be possible. Pokemon can't hold items in Gen 1. Also don't your items go back into your bag anyway when you deposit into Pokemon Bank? Oh unless you mean just teaching them the move in the Gen 1 games.

Years
  • I don't think that is going to be possible. Pokemon can't hold items in Gen 1. Also don't your items go back into your bag anyway when you deposit into Pokemon Bank? Oh unless you mean just teaching them the move in the Gen 1 games.

What I mean is, the Pokemon could learn a 1st Gen TM move and then be transferred to Sun & Moon to be able to use held items.

SonOfASubmariner

Not the only one with an avatar R/B Golbat related
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2017
    I just found out that Poliwrath knows Fissure in Gen 1. So transferring it to Gen 7 and leveling it up to make it learn Mind Reader would put it in the same league as No Guard Machamp with Fissure and Articuno with Mind Reader + Sheer Cold!

I'd have to say that we'd be seeing a lot of No Guard Machamps that know Fissure and Poliwraths that know Mind Reader + Fissure in online teams in the future for Sun & Moon...

It's scary when you think about it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I just found out that Poliwrath knows Fissure in Gen 1. So transferring it to Gen 7 and leveling it up to make it learn Mind Reader would put it in the same league as No Guard Machamp with Fissure and Articuno with Mind Reader + Sheer Cold!

I'd have to say that we'd be seeing a lot of No Guard Machamps that know Fissure and Poliwraths that know Mind Reader + Fissure in online teams in the future for Sun & Moon...

It's scary when you think about it.

I wonder if the No Guard + Fissure Machamps will get banned from tournaments, ranked online, etc. The Poliwraths require setup at least, but could still be problematic.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    I think it would probably be more prudent to just reset the EVs of any Pokemon being transferred from Gen 1 since those games didn't cap you out at 510 EVs total.
    It means you don't have to spend a reset bag (or equivelent tool) to properly train it if they give Pokemon with > 510 EVs an averaged down distribution and there wasn't a way to tell your EV count in those games aside from stat formulae.

Most transferred Pokemon are going to have their stats shift slightly anyway (apart from the obvious Special split) because they'll frequently have a stat-modfying nature and a few had their base stats adjusted in XY.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Boy, it sure would be something else if, since these stats will likely be randomly generated, if a shiny Pokemon gets randomly generated out of the transfer.

Back