• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Gen. IV or V Fangames

Generation IV or V

• Total voters

Sero

私はセクシーです
Years
  • I want to know which generation of Pokemon people prefer in a fan game: Up to Generation 4 or 5. I'm planning on making a game with Pokemon Essentials but can't decide on which generation, mainly because I hate Unova Pokemon but everyone has their own opinion.

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    Whatever you find most appealing.

Also, if you keep changing your system and graphics to the newest, you'll never finish.

Sero

私はセクシーです
    Years
  • I was really asking about the Pokemon themselves, not the graphics. I'll try to use the most complete set of graphics I can find anyway.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Pokémon from every generation count.

Because non-official games are not designed around promoting a brand-new set of Pokémon they don't need to choose from a specific generation only - instead, look at every Pokémon without considering their 'generation' but what matters the most, if they're what your game needs. It's about balancing types (Avoid ending up in a situation like how D/P had almost no Fire-types), balancing the progression from weak common Pokémon to stronger ones and generally making sure you have a good variety and freedom of choice for the player.

Remember that you're only one person, and many many more people than you should ultimately end up playing this game, who don't share your exact opinions on what the best Pokémon are.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2012
    I don't really care for the Pokémon past the first generation, but I love a lot of the features that came up in the later games. :3

Sero

私はセクシーです
    Years
  • Balancing the Pokemon was my original plan but I don't know much about the new Pokemon to do that without comparing stats for the 600+ Pokemon.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • I chose "It doesn't matter to me" but then as soon as I clicked the button I relized I should've gone with Gen V. Reasons:
    -Multiple use of items on party screen
    -SCALD. Heck yes, Scald is awesome
    -Minccino/Cinccino

I think it would be more awesome to see Sinnoh remade, though.

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    It really depends on the game you're developing in my opinion. You don't need to use only the Pokémon introduced in a particular generation, create your own Regional Dex with the Pokémon you like an the Pokémon that are important in your storyline instead.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    You don't need to include every single Pokémon from whichever generations you choose to use. For example, I wouldn't include Diglett/Dugtrio or Dragonite in my game because I'm not too keen on them aesthetically, but I would include other Gen 1 Pokémon. Other people may love Diglett, but I don't care because it's my game.

As has been mentioned, just choose which Pokémon you like, and if possible, make sure there's some kind of balance.

It's a very good idea to not throw all existing Pokémon into a single region anyway, because there are far too many and it would overwhelm the player. About 150 per region works just fine.

Awkward Squirtle

,@,e .ºoO
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2016
    Most people would probably prefer you to be up-to-date with game mechanics etc, but the Pokémon selection is completely down to you. Nobody will notice you haven't put it any 5th gen Pokémon if the game is good.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I like the Unova Pokémon, specially for have less type combinations like pure-water and more like Ghost/Water, Ghost/Fire, etc...

Remember that you're only one person, and many many more people than you should ultimately end up playing this game, who don't share your exact opinions on what the best Pokémon are.
    I think the same thing.

You don't need to include every single Pokémon from whichever generations you choose to use. For example, I wouldn't include Diglett/Dugtrio or Dragonite in my game because I'm not too keen on them aesthetically, but I would include other Gen 1 Pokémon. Other people may love Diglett, but I don't care because it's my game.

As has been mentioned, just choose which Pokémon you like, and if possible, make sure there's some kind of balance.

It's a very good idea to not throw all existing Pokémon into a single region anyway, because there are far too many and it would overwhelm the player. About 150 per region works just fine.
    I agree with the first part, but I say NO against only 150! I think that is the DP worst error making several battles again Galactic Grunts using the same pokémon again and AGAIN (Wurmple family and Zubat family mostly), even Platinum fix this. I prefer something between 250 and 350.

Sero

私はセクシーです
    Years
  • I won't make the Pokedex too large. Around 200 should be enough for me to manage. I'll use the results of the poll to see how many Gen. 5 Pokemon should be included.

Back