• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

(Gen V) My third team (random singles)

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2013
    This is my third attempt at a competitive team. So far it is my most successful, I think I'm roughly running about a 50% win with this team, which is bounds above the 10-20% I was running before with different teams. I feel I could get better with time as I get used to it's weaknesses

Rating was around 1180 or so when I started using team, got it up to 1380 or so since I started playing, so I'm fairly happy with the team so far.

I'm still fairly new to the game, some pokemon I still have trouble id'n. I find I get about 2-3 out of 10 wins that players will d/c.

No real theme just synergy with a gimmick thrown in.

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Ice Punch

Love this guy as he can take on a huge variety of threats, I took Iron fist over Guts because I feel over all I get more dmg out of it, since I don't use flame orb and I rarely lead with COnkeldurr

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Aqua Tail

Almost always included in my 3 pick for random single battle. His immunity to psy damage has won me more then one fight. Pursuit is an amazing checkmate type skill coming into pretty much any Psychic and does decent damage against a lot of others.

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Pain Split
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast

Love leading with this guy, though I haven't used Sub or pain split much Shadow Ball and Focus Blast gives me good coverage. Can 1hko or 2hko a huge amount of targets. Focus seems to catch a few off guard also.

Ferrothorn @ SHed Shell
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 hp/120 def/136 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Gyro Ball
    - Power Whip
    - Leech Seed

Don't use him as much as I should maybe, Since Leftovers is used by another, Shed Shell is mosly situational .

Aron @ Shell Bell
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 36 Spe
    Hardy Nature Neutral
    - Endeavor
    - Protect
    - Toxic
    - Sleep Talk

Love this guy, although he is easy to beat. Just having him in the party usually influences the opponents lead. I use him when there is no threat of flinch, sleep or multi attacks. Sure these situations are not often, but if they can do one of the above they will usually lead with it which gives me an advantage with the others.

Skarmory @ Rocky helmet
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
    - Spikes
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Roost

Barely ever use this guy, so he probably can be replaced. I even forget why I added him in the first place.

So there is my breakdown, any recommendations would be appreciated.

kgarra8649

Black 2= Beat in 1 day!!!!!
    Years
  • Your team is pretty good strength wise. The only problem is see with your team is that you aren't covering your weaknesses as well as you could. When I have a team I usually try to make sure I have a grass, water, and fire type pokemon. You have a grass, but no water or fire types. Plus, you have three steel types, which could all easily be taken out by a fire type. I would consider adding a water type and a fire type to your team, because it will cover that some of your weakness and help you in battles. I would suggest Emboar or Volcarona for fire, and Jellicent, Samurott or Carracosta for water. Going down your team, these are the only suggestions I have:

1. Conkeldurr: No complaints here! Conkeldurr makes a great wall.

2. Tyranitar: Again, no complaints here. Tyranitar is a great addition to any team, especially because he is a pseudo-legendary.

3. Gengar: Great Pokemon, just a couple things about his moveset. Shadow ball and Focus Blast are good, but I think you should replace Substitute and Pain Split with Energy ball (covers the ground type in case of Gravity) and Thunderbolt (a strong reliable move).

4. Ferrothorn: Great choice as it plays a role as a Spiker and a Special Wall. Your moveset is excellent, but I think you should change Gyro Ball to Thunder Wave. It's your choice, but I use Ferrothorn on my team and find Thunder Wave very useful.

5. Aron: Personally, I wouldn't use Aron at all because 1) He hasn't evolved at all and 2) You have too many steel type Pokemon. Again, it's your choice, but I would replace Aron with a fire or water type. Good water types include Jellicent, Carracosta, and Samurott, and good fire types include Emboar and Volcarona.

6. Skarmory: Good Pokemon, but again too many steel types. I would replace Skarmory with either a fire or water type, and as said above good water types include Jellicent, Carracosta, and Samurott, and good fire types include Emboar and Volcarona.

So far, good team. Your items, IVs and EVs are good, and I would rate it a 7/10 at this point. It's your call, but I believe some of my tips above may help you in battles.

Hope this helps!

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks for the comments, I'll look into tweaking gengar with those moves as Sub and Pain Split never really get's used.

Aron is there for the Endeavour gimmick. Although I use him in maybe 10% of might fights he plays mind games with the opponent.

I like your suggestions for replacing Skarmory, I'll test out a few of those.

Thanks again

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Guts is ABSOLUTELY mandatory on Bulk Up Conkeldurr. You don't need Flame Orb to make use of Guts. With Guts, Conkeldurr can easily take a stray opposing burn, poison or paralysis and strike back hard, whereas with Iron Fist, Conkeldurr is screwed over by the aforementioned statuses, especially Burn. 136 HP/252 Atk/120 SDef is the best spread to optimize its special bulk.

Superpower is the preferred option over Tyranitar's Aqua Tail to hit Blissey hard. Though the stat drops are a problem, Tyranitar can always switch out. If you chose Aqua Tail because you needed a way to hit Hippowdon, Donphan and Gliscor, that's okay too. 180 HP/252 Atk/76 Spe is enough to outspeed uninvested base 70s, unless level 50 stats are calculated differently.

In order for Aron to be effective, you NEED a Rapid Spinner to get hazards off the field, as they screw over Aron's Sturdy. Starmie is a good spinner to keep in mind:
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Psyshock/Thunderbolt
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Expert Belt
    Ability: Natural Cure

or
    -Scald
    -Psyshock/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
    -Rapid Spin
    -Recover
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 248 HP/32 Def/4 SAtk/224 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure

While Sleep Talk may seem to give a way for Aron to absorb sleep, I wouldn't recommend it, since it's screwed entirely by Taunt. Replace it with Hidden Power (Rock) just so it can attack (albeit weakly) while being Taunted. It also hits the rare Shedinja, which is a bonus.

Back