• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gender Problems

SamuraiGallade

Blademaster
Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2012
    Isnt anyone bothered by the fact that the Pokemon game producers still havent fixed the gender problem (Machokes and the like can be girls, etc.)? I dont understand why they dont fix it. I simply ignore what the games says the gender is. To me, Machokes are always guys, Gardevoirs are always girls, etc.

So what do you guys do about it?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I'm not bothered simply because genders doesn't matter that much at all. I'd actually be more frustrated if they "fix" it (which isn't really fixing it tbqh, just ruining it for me :x).

Just throwing my thoughts in there.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • I don't find genders a problem because sure it sounds strange that there are female Machokes and male Gardevoirs but to "fix" it? If they did then the Machop line won't have any egg moves and players are forced to get a female Ralts in order to have a Gardevoir. "fixing" the problem will BRING more problems.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Genders really have nothing to do with the Pokémon at all. They are only important and related to breeding, egg moves, abilities, and so on. The Machamp line has a male design, the gender has nothing to do with that, it's for breeding-related things. Legendaries probably aren't genderless either, but they are made genderless so you can't breed them. There are exceptions of course, for example Tauros and Miltank, who are solely male and female respectively but that is concept-related. Tauros is a bull, and Miltank is a cow, so in those cases it's conceptual, same goes for all other single-gender Pokémon.

Last edited:

Kaioken

FireRed
    Years
  • Yeah gender is pretty essential in breeding, I'm not a fan of female Machamp either, but I know there's plenty of woman out there who can kick my ass, besides at least we got female Blissey, if it was male I'd flip -o-

Years
  • Seems to me that sterotyping Pokemon like that would be kind of like saying all walruses should be male, or siamese cats must be female. Just because we as humans percieve something to be more masculine or feminine doesn't change the fact that we live in a world of two genders, and pokemon reflect that.

Years
  • Well they did make egg system like when you leave two machokes male and female you get lv5 machoke or machop idk so they had to make every pokemon with two genders so the eggs can be created...anyway its just balance,I always catch male pokemons i think
    they are stronger.

Entei is only legendary I would be sure hes male
    hes coolest too

Gender Problems

Last edited:
    Years
  • it is pretty bothersome that some pokemon are not strictly m/f when they should appear to be. but then again, if you only had one fixed gender, they wouldn't have that many of that pokemon due to breeding issues...unless mewtwo decides to come back and clone again xD

Years
  • Isnt anyone bothered by the fact that the Pokemon game producers still havent fixed the gender problem (Machokes and the like can be girls, etc.)? I dont understand why they dont fix it. I simply ignore what the games says the gender is. To me, Machokes are always guys, Gardevoirs are always girls, etc.

So what do you guys do about it?
    This would only complicate things even more, because it raises the question of how male-only Pokemon species are able to reproduce.

Sure there's Ditto, by are there really enough? Plus doesn't Ditto just turn into a clone of y- My word!

TEAM BLUE

Friendly Trainer
    Years
  • lol I Try to ignore it but am sometimes disturbed.XD Although later i don't care.:D Oh also is Jynx always a girl??? I have not noticed it a lot since i don't battle it.XD

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2015
    Nintendo could just have gender differences for those pokémon (so no new lines are needed) like unefazant an jellicant. Because to be honest female Machamps creep me out =s

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I kind of find this idea silly.

Gender Problems

This is a poodle. It is male as well as female.

Gender Problems

This is a flamingo. It is male as well as female.

Gender Problems

This is a wolf. It is female as well as male.

Gender Problems

This is a hawk. It is female as well as male.

Does the animal kingdom in general creep people out?

Vendour

Water & Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2014
    Exactly, Toujours. I was thinking about preparing a post similar to yours yesterday lol.

Gender Problems

Elephants are huge "masculine" looking animals, and yet there are both male and female elephants.

Gender Problems

Swans are very pretty and serene "femenine" looking animals, and likewise there are male and female swans.

It's not quite a Pokemon gender problem, as much as it is a personal quirk of yours that irks you.

Years
  • at first when gender was...let's see introduced more in gold and silver i kept wondering why there were male and female goldeens etc. Overtime i looked up various animals and compared them with pokemon and accepted it. Also a machoke/machamp wearing a sports bra?...Nah i like Pokemon the way they are!

Cazzef

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I don't really have a problem with gender, but their appearances could use some changing at least.

-Connor97-

Yeah that's that super bass
    Years
  • I dunt really care about the genders in pokemon 8DDDD well tats if i need to breed something i guess ;)

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    It bothers me. Who wants a male jigglypuff? and a female machoke is just... awkward... I mean really?? XD But I can't help but think of the older episodes when there was no gender difference in appearance. weeeeeird stuff

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • Some pokemon are more of a problem then others. Lets go back the machoke example, it's like a humanoid bodybuilder. It looks alot like us, and as you know theres a huge diffrence in looks between our males and females. I've never seen a (normal) girl that looks like a buff man, sorry....

Back