• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gender Problems

Zeffy

g'day
Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Some pokemon are more of a problem then others. Lets go back the machoke example, it's like a humanoid bodybuilder. It looks alot like us, and as you know theres a huge diffrence in looks between our males and females. I've never seen a (normal) girl that looks like a buff man, sorry....
    Just because something is humanoid doesn't mean that it should attest to being human. Ever heard of female spiders who eat their mates? Spotted hyenas? Some anglerfish? Queen bee? They all have female dominance someway. Not really that much of a great comparison but just goes to show that female Machokes, Machamps, etc aren't awkward at all when you think about it.

[size="-20"]somehow this thread comes out as sexist to me lol
    [/SIZE]

Years
  • In nature alot of male birds are more colourful (prettier you could say) than females.
    What about a female Mr. Mime lolzzz

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • Hmm, I don't think there is no fixing to do. I think its more fun to have a female machoke or a male gardevior. I like to break the gender sterotype of that.

Males don't have to be masculine, and females don't have to be feminine. Also, I know people are bringing up the argument of the "Animal Kingdom". Well, thats not the best example to use as there is a "human egg" group.

Really though, I don't see if there is a problem.

I'm surpised Hikari didn't post these up (she made these), as they fit the thread.
    Gender Problems
    Gender Problems

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2012
    I don't really see the problem. They're just genders. Although, they've kinda started fixing stuff like Gardy (ya know, Gallade).

GhostQuill

Nooby Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2012
    I don't really care
    Sure itr's fun tyo make some jokes about it every now and then but really ...
    It's just a quirk of yours the appearance is too masculine/feminine for you to think otherwise when in real life this can happen quite normally
    If it helps, I like to think of my own reasons of why the Pokemon are liuke that, makes it easier to understand. At least to me

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    I don't like the idea of genderlessness. Rare or not, they have to reproduce somehow or they wouldn't exist at all. Arceus, Dialga, Palkia and Giratina are exceptions, since they're immortal deities and not really "real" animals.

I have a huge problem with Mewtwo being categorized as genderless, when he is so obviously, undeniably male. Some biological traits are restricted to gender, such as sound of ones' voice. Giovanni even refers to Mewtwo as a male in the dub of Mewtwo Returns, though I'm not sure how different it was to the original Japanese version :/

Years
  • I find male Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle, Lopunny, Kirlia/Gardevoir, Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable, Igglybuff/Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff, Minccino/Cinccino and Audino weird.

Especially Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle.

I only like the female ones.

In Black my Conkeldurr is female, does anyone find that weird?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I find male Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle, Lopunny, Kirlia/Gardevoir, Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable, Igglybuff/Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff, Minccino/Cinccino and Audino weird.

I'll accept everything else, but Minccino and Cinccino have always looked more masculine than feminine in my eyes. XD

Pokémon gender doesn't bother me in the least. I do make concerted efforts to catch only male pokémon for my in-game team (makes chain-breeding their attacks easier for post-game), but other than that, it doesn't matter if my Machamp is female or not. XD

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    It's a minor thing to me. I can't mind too much because it just won't change, so I just accept it. I used to make an effort to make sure my Gardevoirs were female and my Machamps were male, but it's not worth all that effort. I care more about natures/IV's now.

Years
  • I tend to choose the gender for each pokemon based off of the appearance. However, it doesn't really bother me that the more masculine pokes come in female species.

Years
  • In Black my Conkeldurr is female, does anyone find that weird?

What are your thoughts on my Conkeldurr being female?

I think it's odd but I caught her as a Timburr specifically to battle Lenora, I kept her on my team until Castelia City. She's in the PC now but I bring her out occasionally.

The Timburr line look masculine but they can be female.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • I don't see a problem really
    it's not like Pokemon have to copy human gender differences, they have different genetic builds, so gender differences in Pokemon will obviously be different to humans.

Years
  • Like everyone's been saying, Pokemon gender is just there for breeding Pokemon. It really serves no purpose other than that. Sure its weird to come across a Female Machamp but is it really that much of a problem to fix. Not trying to sound rude here, but if you don't like that gender of the Pokemon just catch a different gender one. There is nothing to fix.
    Also remember in I think it was in Diamond and Perl where they have diffrent sprites for the genders. At most they could do that in the games but other than that I see no problem in having a manly Mienshao or Female Machamp.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Personally, I don't think anything with a beard should be female (Beartic, Stoutland, Conkeldurr, etc.), and nothing with a dress should be male (Gardevoir and Gothitelle, etc.).

And male Lopunny?

No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    NO.
    NO!!!!!!

Years
  • Personally, I don't think anything with a beard should be female (Beartic, Stoutland, Conkeldurr, etc.), and nothing with a dress should be male (Gardevoir and Gothitelle, etc.).

And male Lopunny?

No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    NO.
    NO!!!!!!

In Black, my Stoutland, Conkeldurr and Beartic are all girls. And I'm still proud of them.

I have a few male Gothorita too, but with some females balancing it out.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Female bisharps are amazing.

I'm not too fussed on genders anymore, but male gardevoirs do make me laugh.

Last edited:
    Back