• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    So do you know if the port still works? It would be a major bummer if the card didn't work when you buy it.
    Haven't tested it yet... I'm crossing my fingers though. If it doesn't, it'll be an excuse to get a new motherboard, lol.

Years
    …except this thread is on the verge of being renamed the "Macintosh Chat". Hint hint.

Pfffff.
    No it's not, honest. :P

Just because Macs are better... xD
    Ignore that comment, or a Windows vs Mac war will start!

I do miss talking about building and upgrading computers. When I use to do it, it was real fun and one of the first jobs that I didn't instantly get bored off! XD

Years
    It seems like everyone's* got a mac these days. I'd love to see the difference in market share compared to 10 years ago.

I use to hate them when I was younger, but I think it was only because it was a step in the unknown.

Now I love them because they so much more efficient in what they do. The reason I got a Mac was because I needed something portable that wouldn't fall short when I needed processing power and graphical power. All that is amazing, then with an awesome battery life on top of that? Sold! XD

I do Games Technology at University, so it fits what I need perfectly.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'll review it as a Windows rig, but you need to make sure all the parts are hackintosh compatible. I doubt the card will be.

Not too bad at all. What's the main purpose for this rig? If it's gaming, you want a better graphics card. If it's a hackintosh, you want better compatibility. Production, then it's just fine.

The 300 is actually a nice case. The cable management could be better, but they're nice enough to build in as well as looking great and being sturdy as hell. It will do the job, but the front panel cables are too short and you might be better off with a 902 or something. I'm personally considering the Fractal Define F3 in the future.
    It's actually supposed to be for both. Primarily, it'll be a gaming rig (for Windows), but I'll be partitioning the hard drive down the middle for use with both OSes. I still have to research individual component compatibility with OS X.

Thanks again for those recommendations, Archer. Some of the hardware that I chose was chosen because I was in a rush and because I wasn't interested in looking outside of Newegg for the sake of consistency. Do you (collectively) have any recommendations for the CPU, the fan/heatsink (I can also use an air cooler; it makes no difference to me), and the Wifi card? My hacker cave is located on the third floor of my house, two floors above my router, and I don't want to invest in a Powerline network that has no guarantee of working in my old house.

Going back to my potential gaming rig, I was intrigued by the 900, and it's only $20 more than the 300. The Radeon 6870 also looks good, but the higher price might be a little over my budget. I'll post more later.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    It seems like everyone's* got a mac these days. I'd love to see the difference in market share compared to 10 years ago.

The closest I can Find is the W3school's Browser OS chart, it basically measures what the Marketshare of OS use is by using browser meta. From What I can see it goes back to 2003, not exactly ten years, and it lists a 1.8% share for Mac in March of '03, which has risen to 7.6% last month. now obviously this doesn't account for the rise in ISP contracts in the past 7 years or the increase in availability of internet, but it does show that there is indeed a fair amount of increase in Mac user share.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Even if home use of Macs has increased the vast majority of computers can be found in the business sector. Apple really has no foothold there.

I am definitely happy with Windows 7 and use my netbook to try new linux distros with.

Years
    The closest I can Find is the W3school's Browser OS chart, it basically measures what the Marketshare of OS use is by using browser meta. From What I can see it goes back to 2003, not exactly ten years, and it lists a 1.8% share for Mac in March of '03, which has risen to 7.6% last month. now obviously this doesn't account for the rise in ISP contracts in the past 7 years or the increase in availability of internet, but it does show that there is indeed a fair amount of increase in Mac user share.

I was trying to find something like that earlier, but I failed. Haha.
    It is interesting to see that it is slowly on an increase.

Haha, I love how Vista is just completely dying. Love it; always makes me happy to see that. Such a HORRID OS.

Years
    VISTA IS SO NOT HORRID. It is a perfectly viable OS. It just needed a lot more resources than XP did, and was released when the machines on the market could barely handle it.

It was a horrid OS in my eyes then :3

It is a pretty silly thing to release then, when the machines on the market can't handle it...

Years

It is a pretty silly thing to release then, when the machines on the market can't handle it...

Microsoft is 100% at fault for Vista flopping, what with the hardware being too weak at the time of its release and the whole drivers fiasco they had upon release. Windows 7 is Vista with better resource management, honestly.

Years
    Microsoft is 100% at fault for Vista flopping, what with the hardware being too weak at the time of its release and the whole drivers fiasco they had upon release. Windows 7 is Vista with better resource management, honestly.

Well, I am on Mac OSX so, I haven't really spent a lot of time with W7, but I am sure it is better than Vista. XD

I think W7 was just, maybe, released at a better time with it patched together better?

Years

Speaking of horrid things. You went from one painful font to another...

It wasn't really MS's fault. They recommended 1GB with a minimum of 512MB (because OEMs complained). So what do the cheap-arse OEMs like HP do? They send out Vista on computers with 512MB ram and Pentium 4/D/Celeron crap with bloatware and wonder why people complain. Blame the manufacturers.
    This is pretty much it. It does have better resource management abilities on identical machines, though, from personal experience working with it.

Not really. Vista SP2 is basically the same as Windows 7. People get the wrong impression because the Windows 7 install is always fresher and cleaner. A fresh install of Vista upgraded to SP2 will perform very well.

After seeing the crap that most people install on their computers, the OS's performance means very little. Like most things, a negative placebo effect makes people find Vista slow. Put it this way - if I was running Vista, I would not pay to upgrade to 7.

Years
    Not really. Vista SP2 is basically the same as Windows 7. People get the wrong impression because the Windows 7 install is always fresher and cleaner. A fresh install of Vista upgraded to SP2 will perform very well.

After seeing the crap that most people install on their computers, the OS's performance means very little. Like most things, a negative placebo effect makes people find Vista slow. Put it this way - if I was running Vista, I would not pay to upgrade to 7.

The installs were the same age. And I was basing this off of experience with installs in a lab environment at school. Though that was only Service Pack 1.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    It's a shame Vista got a bad rap. It's actually a really awesome OS if you know how to use it.
    I do prefer 7 to it, though.

Years
    The installs were the same age. And I was basing this off of experience with installs in a lab environment at school. Though that was only Service Pack 1.
    SP2 made further improvements, so that could be it. "Basically" the same, anyway. There's going to be tiny optimisations here and there. And keep in mind that memory usage is not always a bad thing. Most new OSes will use what they are given. Snow Leopard is a great example, because it will often idle at 3/4GB, but if you run a game, it will just reassign the memory. It's better to have something in memory than on disk. It can also be little things, like the sidebar being enabled by default on Vista and not on 7.
    It's a shame Vista got a bad rap. It's actually a really awesome OS if you know how to use it.
    I do prefer 7 to it, though.
    Yeah, I still prefer 7, because there's a few little interface tweaks, as well as the Superbar. Either one is basically required for gaming, due to DX10 and other newer features. I feel the impulse for self-harm when people go on about preferring XP to Vista or 7 on a new machine. They come into work and order a $2000 (lower than it seems, due to the stupid prices we pay for things) gaming rig. And then winge about wanting XP on it.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Yeah, I still prefer 7, because there's a few little interface tweaks, as well as the Superbar. Either one is basically required for gaming, due to DX10 and other newer features. I feel the impulse for self-harm when people go on about preferring XP to Vista or 7 on a new machine. They come into work and order a $2000 (lower than it seems, due to the stupid prices we pay for things) gaming rig. And then winge about wanting XP on it.
    I've noticed this in people who aren't willing to adjust to the changes. But buying a new rig and installing XP on it is kind of dumb, especially when high-end gaming is on the buyer's mind. (I was guilty of this just a few months back)

Years
    I've noticed this in people who aren't willing to adjust to the changes. But buying a new rig and installing XP on it is kind of dumb, especially when high-end gaming is on the buyer's mind. (I was guilty of this just a few months back)
    We're talking i7s on X58 boards. So they have at LEAST 2.75 GB ram being wasted on a 32-bit OS. You just want to slap them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back