• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I don't think Alienware would be a good choice unless you were going specifically for a gaming laptop. And from what Quizel listed I think he's going to be doing other things more than just play games.
    It'd probably be a waste if he spent that amount of money on it.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
    I don't think Alienware would be a good choice unless you were going specifically for a gaming laptop. And from what Quizel listed I think he's going to be doing other things more than just play games.
    It'd probably be a waste if he spent that amount of money on it.

Correct, it will be used for everything (browsing, typing, photos, evertying.) The only computer gaming I do is Minecraft, and it is super laggy on my current computer.

Years
    Well at 10Mb/s the download speed you should be able to achieve is 1.2 MB/s to 900kB/s. If your speed is lower than 80% of the speed advertised call up your ISP and complain. When I was having connectivity issues, I found out that the ISP does not have to give you 100% of the advertised speed, however if it is under 80% of the speed, then you are getting ripped off.

At 15 Megabits per second you should get between 1.8 MegaBytes and 1.35 MegaBytes per second. (There are 8 bits in a byte so 15 / 8 = 1.875) (1.875 * 75% = ~1.35)

Conclusion, your either not getting what you paid for, or you are not paying for what you think you are. Now I am going to assume that '176 kb/s' is actually 176 kB/s, correct me if I am wrong. Little b means bits, capital B means bytes. That being said, if you download speed is 176 kB/s then you are getting just slightly faster than a 1 mb/s connection (1.3 to be exact).

This all assumes that you're not pushing through any traffic other than the download, though.

That machine you've staked out looks plenty suitable for your needs. If you need more space you could just go cheaply get an external hard drive.

ReignOfComputer

~éXtRéMé HaXoR~
    Years
    I'll probably be getting a new computer soon. Decided on the following for now, should I edit anything? Should I wait for the new processors?

ASUS Sabertooth p67 + i7 2700k
    Leadtek GTX580 1536MB
    G. Skill RipJaw-Z 1600 C9 (16GB=4x4GB)
    LG 12X Blu-Ray RD+DVDRW combo
    Corsair HX850 850W
    Corsair 120GB ForceGT
    Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling
    Aurzen X-Fi Forte 7.1
    CoolerMaster COSMOS II ~ Have you guys seen this? It's amazing.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
    I'll probably be getting a new computer soon. Decided on the following for now, should I edit anything? Should I wait for the new processors?

Leadtek GTX580 1536MB
    Corsair HX850 850W
    Corsair 120GB ForceGT
    Aurzen X-Fi Forte 7.1

Liquid cooling? Not a good idea unless you plan on doing some serious over clocking. Otherwise its an expansive pain in the @$$.

Blu-Ray is good, processor is over the top, might be cheaper to look at something a little lower end unless you need eight threads? D:

And as for my hypothical build:
    i3-2120T 2.6GHz LGA 1155 (Dual Core Hyper-Threading)
    SanDisk 120GB SSD SDSSDH-120G-G25
    8GB DDR3-1333 (2 X 4GB)
    Samsung Blu-Ray - SH-B123L
    All wraped in a Biostar ECO HD61 Barebone

If I can make it for two and a half years on a 1.5 GHZ dual core with 2GB of RAM, this should last me at least a year. This build is just waiting on my 1098-T document from school. As soon as I get it in, I'm filing my taxes and buying this with the cash I get for being a college student.

ReignOfComputer

~éXtRéMé HaXoR~
    Years
    I always OC my stuff, lol xD
    Not to mention the H100 is closed loop, which is handy.

Processor wise... They're kinda cheap lol. Only about a $30 difference between the 2600k and 2700k, etc.

I need my desktop to be better than my laptop, anyway. It's really weird that my laptop (ASUS G74SX) is currently better than my desktop.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
    I have a question on building this computer, I was thinking about going with a slightly better performance CPU, only problem is that it is a 65W instead of a 35W. The PSU is 275W. (This is the part where I never quite understood in my A+ classes) I will be using 8GB of RAM, the Processor is a Sandy Bridge, so the GPU is on die. I will probably be adding a WiFi card in the case, but other than that, there won't be anything else. How much power will I be consuming. Will the PSU be able to keep up with that?

Case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856115043

Years

Leadtek GTX580 1536MB
    Corsair HX850 850W
    Corsair 120GB ForceGT
    Aurzen X-Fi Forte 7.1

I always OC my stuff, lol xD
    Not to mention the H100 is closed loop, which is handy.

Processor wise... They're kinda cheap lol. Only about a $30 difference between the 2600k and 2700k, etc.
    Okay. Overall the build looks fine. There's no point going with the i7-2700K if you're overclocking, because they tend to get the same maximum overclock. You're paying more for a default setting that you're going to change anyway, but if you feel better getting the 2700K, it's certainly no worse.

The soundcard is overkill. Unless you're using $300 headphones, you're wasting your money. With good headphones, a $100 card will suffice, anything less and you're fine with onboard.

In terms of the H100 and Cosmos, despite both being obscenely expensive, they're awesome choices. Just check that there is enough clearance for the fans & rad between the board and the top of the case where it mounts. If not, an H80 is going to be fine for the Sandy Bridge chips.

The rest is great. If you're overclocking the GPU, consider the MSI Twin Frozr, Gigabyte OC or Asus DirectCU models of the 580 for the best cooling performance.
    I have a question on building this computer, I was thinking about going with a slightly better performance CPU, only problem is that it is a 65W instead of a 35W. The PSU is 275W. (This is the part where I never quite understood in my A+ classes) I will be using 8GB of RAM, the Processor is a Sandy Bridge, so the GPU is on die. I will probably be adding a WiFi card in the case, but other than that, there won't be anything else. How much power will I be consuming. Will the PSU be able to keep up with that?

You'll be right. With the SSD and wifi card, you come in at around half capacity. That's at absolute maximum load.

65W isn't actually a power usage, it's a maximum heat dissipation. They're closely related, but still. It's just a category. Eg, you might have 18W, 35W, 65W, 95W, 120W thermal envelopes. If Intel measures it hitting 36W at absolute max load, it's a 65W chip. That's also accounting for the worst possible, most leaky chip out.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Just a reminder that deleting your old post and then posting the exact same thing later is considered double-posting and infraction-worthy.

Happy Azumarill

All society is one big pie
    Years

with previous exspirence of this i can help, for what you are putting in your tower you need a 500w min, the wifi cards eat up a bit of power, the ram uses alot so 500 will be your point. i am running:

Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2Ghz
    2x1TB HDD
    ATI 5450 HD
    4GB DDR3 133mhz Ram
    Gibabyte G41MT-D3
    LG DVD RAM
    500w PS

ReignOfComputer

~éXtRéMé HaXoR~
    Years
    Okay. Overall the build looks fine. There's no point going with the i7-2700K if you're overclocking, because they tend to get the same maximum overclock. You're paying more for a default setting that you're going to change anyway, but if you feel better getting the 2700K, it's certainly no worse.

The soundcard is overkill. Unless you're using $300 headphones, you're wasting your money. With good headphones, a $100 card will suffice, anything less and you're fine with onboard.

In terms of the H100 and Cosmos, despite both being obscenely expensive, they're awesome choices. Just check that there is enough clearance for the fans & rad between the board and the top of the case where it mounts. If not, an H80 is going to be fine for the Sandy Bridge chips.

The rest is great. If you're overclocking the GPU, consider the MSI Twin Frozr, Gigabyte OC or Asus DirectCU models of the 580 for the best cooling performance.

I think I'll keep the 2700k, it's only a $30 difference anyway.

Hmm, guess I'll change the soundcard to something cheaper then. Will also probably change the Leadtek to the Asus one for the 580. Slight difference in price anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.

Already checked out the Cosmos 2, it appears to be able to fit the H100. This video tells it all, it's freaking awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkQ5Y6RlAwU

Years
    *looks at his small case*
    *sad* (not really)

Speaking of overclocking, I had my 2600K overclocked to 4.3 GHz (stable) for like a day, but I got scared :|
    I wasn't putting a lot of volts through it or anything. I think I'll do it again.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I'm thinking of taking Linux off of my desktop, but if I did that I'd have to reformat all the hard drives... 320gb, 500gb, and 1.5 TB... so definitely not looking forward to doing that. Also thinking I might just leave Linux on there because it works great as a stable media server, which is about all I use it for these days.

Thoughts?

Years
    Out of curiosity, does anyone have experience with HP workstation products? Awhile back, I saw one online for $268 that had 8 GB RAM, 2.6 GHz processor (didn't specify on core quantity) and an NVIDIA GPU. It was manufactured in 2006, so it obviously comes with XP. I'm just curious to know and see how their work computers compare to their consumer computers. It's an HP Xw9300. Awhile back, I actually thought of getting this very machine, too.

Years
    I'm thinking of taking Linux off of my desktop, but if I did that I'd have to reformat all the hard drives... 320gb, 500gb, and 1.5 TB... so definitely not looking forward to doing that. Also thinking I might just leave Linux on there because it works great as a stable media server, which is about all I use it for these days.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you could remove it without wiping all the drives. Unless you have them all partitioned to EXT?

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
    Out of curiosity, does anyone have experience with HP workstation products? Awhile back, I saw one online for $268 that had 8 GB RAM, 2.6 GHz processor (didn't specify on core quantity) and an NVIDIA GPU. It was manufactured in 2006, so it obviously comes with XP. I'm just curious to know and see how their work computers compare to their consumer computers. It's an HP Xw9300. Awhile back, I actually thought of getting this very machine, too.

Wow, after doing a quick Google search, I want one.

At school we have HP workstations. The ones we use are no where near this nice, but they do very well in terms of power. https://www.videomaker.com/article/11246/ This review I saw is from back in the day. It is right, you can adjust the idle speed of the fans. I know this because until I figured it out, my work station always sounded like a vacuum cleaner. When I turned the fans down. It was super quite.

Beware though. These workstations have dual CPU sockets, and most likely have two single core processors. Windows Home editions do not support more than one Processor. You will need to use Windows 7/ Vista Professional or higher, Windows Server, or linux to take full advantage of the multiple processors.

Years
    It all depends on your partition setup, which can get a bit complex with multiple drives, but the problem here is that GRUB overwrites the Windows MBR. After removing the Linux partitions (including the OS, SWAP, etc), you can usually restore the MBR via the repair section of the Windows installer disc (use the disc for the most recent version if you have multiple). The other option is to use Super Grub Disk. Follow the instructions here to restore the MBR, after removing Linux.

Feel free to chase me up if you get stuck.

HP's business-level (and enterprise, in this case) are certainly a lot more reliable than their consumer line, but we'd need more info to tell whether that's worth the money.

Keep in mind that workstation products are often big, loud, power-hungry and difficult to get parts for. Not always.

Years
    *is overclocking again*
    3:42 (hours:minutes) so far... about 9 hours to go. (Prime95 blend test)
    Going for 4.2 GHz, 1.272v @ load.
    I'm afraid to push this thing... I know that's not a lot of voltage.
    Once I see anything over 1.3v, I'm afraid of frying it :/ (Even though I've seen people running them at 1.4+ for over a year).
    I need the extra speed for video encoding.

4.5 would be nice, but I don't think I have a "good" chip... Some can run 4.5 stable on stock volts.

Edit: Awesome, >12 hours and still running.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back