• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General game making help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Hekk

Game Developer
Years
  • I've noticed a few games like Pokemon Raptor EX where you can just download and play and it's made in RPG Maker XP. I'm making a Pokemon game in RMXP at the moment, and I hope to make it available for download, but I would like to know how to compress it so that the Graphics and Audio can't be stolen or altered, and that people who want to play won't have to install anything extra to play, e.g. RGSS-RTP.

The game is made using Pokemon Essentials.

The compression problem I'm having is that when I go to File -> Compress Game Data -> Create Encrypted Archive, after the compression has completed, when I try to open the single application it gets to Game.rgssad and then "Extract Failed" (or something like that) shows up and the Game.rgssad is much too small. So it doesn't appear I'm able to distribute my game. How does everyone else do it?

Another problem I'm having is I sent the "Graphics", "Audio", "Fonts", "Data" and "PBS" folders to a friend along with "Game" application, "Game" configuartion settings, gif.dll, RGSS100J and RGS102E.dll and wiimote.dll, but whenever he tries to exit a door, an error message comes up saying

"Script 'pokemonUtilities line 289 NoMethodError occurred"

What should be included in the files that you send to someone else for them to play the game as I have the feeling I missed something, as the game works fine when I play it through the application?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2022
    Hello, can anyone tell me how I write a script at event commands without going to next line if it doesn't fit in the script's input box? I have an event command script an it splits so it doesn't work properly.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Hello, can anyone tell me how I write a script at event commands without going to next line if it doesn't fit in the script's input box? I have an event command script an it splits so it doesn't work properly.
    Use extendtext. If it's still too long, put your code in a def in the scripts instead and just call that def in the event. You shouldn't be using huge amounts of code in the event commands.

Ryan Hekk

Game Developer
    Years
  • I've got a small question about talking to NPC's. How do you make it so that when an NPC asks you a question, instead of choosing from a list of choices, you can write in text input, and the text input is then checked to see if it matches pre-defined text. I'm doing this so that I can put a "cheater", who you write codes to and they check them in their conditional branch and return speech back and an item. I know how to do the conditional branch, I just don't know how to get text input from the user.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • I've got a small question about talking to NPC's. How do you make it so that when an NPC asks you a question, instead of choosing from a list of choices, you can write in text input, and the text input is then checked to see if it matches pre-defined text. I'm doing this so that I can put a "cheater", who you write codes to and they check them in their conditional branch and return speech back and an item. I know how to do the conditional branch, I just don't know how to get text input from the user.

That kind of features requires you to have knowledge of Ruby scripting.

Ryan Hekk

Game Developer
    Years
  • So theres no easy way to get input from a user, store it in a variable and check the contents of that variable? I thought that was a pretty basic programming skill. I just want to know how to apply it to Pokemon Essentials.

Is there any way to get the trainer name input screen to come up without it changing the name of the player, so that you can input answers to NPC's questions by selecting the letters, and then that being stored in a variable.

Last edited:

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
    Years
  • htfk84.jpg

How do I replace the backdrops?

I want to replace with the top screen with:

65mhs8.png

And the bottom screen with:

dcwsnq.png

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • So theres no easy way to get input from a user, store it in a variable and check the contents of that variable? I thought that was a pretty basic programming skill. I just want to know how to apply it to Pokemon Essentials.

I dont know much about ruby (or RMXP in genral) but it seems like it would be easy to do.

just call up the enter hero name event, and instead of modifying the hero name just replace it with a system hero slot.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • htfk84.jpg

How do I replace the backdrops?

I want to replace with the top screen with:

65mhs8.png

And the bottom screen with:

dcwsnq.png

You know they are not actually two screens right? To replace the graphic just make one called Loadbg.png as that is the picture but it does not exist xD.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • I dont know much about ruby (or RMXP in genral) but it seems like it would be easy to do.

just call up the enter hero name event, and instead of modifying the hero name just replace it with a system hero slot.

And an even better(easier) idea:

Make the textbox asking the question.

Save "$Trainer.name" to a variable temporarily(and not the same place where wild Pokemon data is stored this time)

Load the naming screen to rename the player.
    Get the trainers new name, and save it to another variable.
    And finally, set the Trainers name back to the variable that's storing the old name.

Last edited:

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    I've been at this for awhile now, and I still can't figure it out.

How on earth do you give a player multiple items in RPG Maker XP? I know what scripts I need to use, but I can't figure out how to arrange it correctly to make it work in game. I know people have successfully done this, so I ask, how do you do this properly?

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • I've been at this for awhile now, and I still can't figure it out.

How on earth do you give a player multiple items in RPG Maker XP? I know what scripts I need to use, but I can't figure out how to arrange it correctly to make it work in game. I know people have successfully done this, so I ask, how do you do this properly?

That depends, are you using RPG Maker XP, or XP with Essentials?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I've been at this for awhile now, and I still can't figure it out.

It's part of the "Change items" command in an event. Choose the item you want to give, then "increase" (i.e. give), then change the constant to give that many of the item. It's a very basic RMXP thing.

Although something tells me you're trying to use Pokémon Essentials, in which case this isn't the thread for this question. Try the Essentials thread.

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    It's part of the "Change items" command in an event. Choose the item you want to give, then "increase" (i.e. give), then change the constant to give that many of the item. It's a very basic RMXP thing.

Although something tells me you're trying to use Pokémon Essentials, in which case this isn't the thread for this question. Try the Essentials thread.
    I'm sorry. I figured it out. I had to look in the notes.html file for the right script. For future reference if anyone has trouble with this, this is the right script for adding multiple items in Pokemon Essentials. $PokemonBag.pbStoreItem( PBItems POTION, 5) take spaces out of paranthesis.

I know this should belong in the Pokemon Essentials thread, but my posts have been getting deleted from there with no explanation why.

Last edited:

digitairu

Gym Leader
    Years
  • Hello I am trying to make my own Pokemon game but I have one question. I am making the Pokemon Lab where you pick your starter and I want to make it so the Person can not leave until they pick their starter Pokemon.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • Hello I am trying to make my own Pokemon game but I have one question. I am making the Pokemon Lab where you pick your starter and I want to make it so the Person can not leave until they pick their starter Pokemon.

Check the Essentials Demo, It has a Lab example inside.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Check the Essentials Demo, It has a Lab example inside.
    There's also the wiki article "Choosing a starter", the first part of which specifically tells you how to do exactly what you want. I should know - I wrote it myself on Saturday. :cool:

This is also an Essentials question, not a general game-making question. Please ask this kind of question in that thread in future.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back