• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Music Discussion

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
  • Since, for some reason, there's not a whole lot of music discussion here, I'd like to culminate it all (or most of it) into a thread so we can enjoy it with peers that are all explicitly interested in music. Feel free to post here with a new song you've found, a music video you want to share, a new band you've found, if you're reaching for recommendations, etc! If it's got to do with music, post it here. If you think it's big enough to be its own topic, absolutely feel free to make a separate thread on it. I won't be too strict about anything.

As for the first topic, what are your favorite albums of the first half of 2014? If it was released after January 1st and before June 30th, it counts. What are you looking forward to this last half of the year?

So far my favorites are Ultraviolence, x, Rave Tapes, and The New Classic. I especially love the first and third because Lana Del Rey and Mogwai are two of my favorite artists and the only ones I really watch closely for new releases. Nahko and Medicine for the People just dropped a new album this year as well but I've yet to listen to anything from it because I'm waiting for a time I can splurge it all so we'll see.

Last edited:

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Home, Like Noplace is There by The Hotelier
    Three Love Songs by Ricky Eat Acid
    III by BADBADNOTGOOD
    The Unnatural World by Have a Nice Life
    To Be Kind by Swans (maybe)

that's my top 5 right now. it's been a really lackluster year so far. looking forward to new Kendrick Lamar, Kanye, Caribou, Death from Above 1979, Interpol, Joyce Manor, Panda Bear, Rustie, and The Wrens. hopefully the second half of the year is better than the first.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2015
    Here And Nowhere Else by Cloud Nothings is quite easily my favourite album of the year so far. It was an instant hit and has only grown on me more since. It packs some of my favourite songs of the year with Pattern Walks and I'm Not Part Of Me.

The few other albums that have stuck with me are:
    - To Be Kind by Swans
    - A U R O R A by Ben Frost
    - What Is This Heart? by How To Dress Well

I have to agree with Matt about this having been a horribly lackluster year in music this far in...

I've got high hopes for the new FKA Twigs, Panda Bear and Shabazz Palaces records. Elsewhere I'm hoping on new records from Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West, but nothing confirmed yet...

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • So far in 2014 the only albums I've actually liked are; Sam Smith's In the Lonely Hour. He's such an emotive singer and his voice is amazing and full of technique. It get's a bit depressing after a while lol, but otherwise it's a solid album. Lea Michele's Louder, not bad for her first album and first time songwriting but the themes are little overdone, as in, very overdone. If You Say So, Louder, You're Mine, and Don't Let Go are definitely the album's standouts.

I also downloaded Anastacia's Resurrection and I admire her comeback after the crap she dealt with for the past few years but imo the album wasn't as strong.

There's still a few I want to get a hold of from the first half like Kiss Me Once, Sorry I'm Late, I Am Mariah, and Sheezus.

As for albums I'm looking forward to, I'd say Ariana Grande's new album is at the top of my list. As well as The Pink Print [Nicki Minaj], Chapter One [Ella Henderson], and Only Human [Cheryl Cole]

Apparently Adele, Madonna, and Taylor have albums coming out this year too. But the only one I can see happening is Taylor. Adele has been very hushed about her new music but her management did say she had an album scheduled for 2014.

(and bonus, waiting for Little Mix's new single from album #3 at the end of the year)

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Apparently Adele, Madonna, and Taylor have albums coming out this year too. But the only one I can see happening is Taylor. Adele has been very hushed about her new music but her management did say she had an album scheduled for 2014.

I've got my fingers crossed as well but she's said multiple times she dislikes her fame and probably won't drop another album given her rise in fame with 21 so I'm not overly eager in anticipation of my hopes being let down.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    The new Swans album is definitely some kind of great, don't think I could listen to it again though. Just how I am with them.

I enjoyed the new albums from The War On Drugs, Mastodon, Godflesh EP and Mac DeMarco. Nothing has really struck me so far though. The rest of the year looks more promising, too much to list.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • The new Swans album is definitely some kind of great, don't think I could listen to it again though. Just how I am with them.
    really if it weren't for that ♥♥♥♥in 35 minute track it'd be perfectly fine but Gira had to be ~*~*Edgy~*~* I suppose and throw that in there. the whole second half of that track is borderline embarrassing and kinda ruins the momentum. my favorite album of theirs is probably Children of God, or Swans Are Dead, idk

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
    Years
  • Sorry to derail the conversation, but the thread does say we can ask for recommendations ;)

I've become really bored with my playlists, and my search for new songs has ended in vain. Right now, I'm interested in A Flock of Seagulls, and Hootie and the Blowfish have caught my attention. I'm also a big REM, REO Speedwagon, Cars, and Animals fan. So basically classic, alternative, and a bit of new wave rock from the 60's-90's. Any suggestions?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    really if it weren't for that ♥♥♥♥in 35 minute track it'd be perfectly fine but Gira had to be ~*~*Edgy~*~* I suppose and throw that in there. the whole second half of that track is borderline embarrassing and kinda ruins the momentum. my favorite album of theirs is probably Children of God, or Swans Are Dead, idk

Yeah man, Swans have always been a band I can respect so much; but for me it's like reading a book with a plot twist and once you've read it once that's it, you'll never enjoy it that much again. Same for Have A Nice Life.

Now that I've checked my music library, I somehow forgot my favourite album from this year so far. Melting Sun by Lantlos, if you like shoegaze / heavy post-rock/metal, then definitely check this album out.

Also, A Sunny Day in Glasgow, not mind blowing but a good listen.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Sorry to derail the conversation, but the thread does say we can ask for recommendations ;)

I've become really bored with my playlists, and my search for new songs has ended in vain. Right now, I'm interested in A Flock of Seagulls, and Hootie and the Blowfish have caught my attention. I'm also a big REM, REO Speedwagon, Cars, and Animals fan. So basically classic, alternative, and a bit of new wave rock from the 60's-90's. Any suggestions?

Why not try a classic like The Who? Or maybe Boston. "More Than A Feeling" is pretty ♥♥♥♥ing amazing when you're in the mood for some symphonic style rock. I'll admit, it's a guilty pleasure of mine.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Sorry to derail the conversation, but the thread does say we can ask for recommendations ;)

Speedwagon, Cars... try Wham!, Santana, Suzi Quatro, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam, Dire Straits....

Or just try Talking Heads, Talk Talk , The Cure. The only three you'll ever need.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Sorry to derail the conversation, but the thread does say we can ask for recommendations ;)

try out The Smiths: they're similar to REM and The Cars, I think.
    as far as A Flock of Seagulls goes, try out New Order, The Human League, early Devo... stuff like that.
    as far as The Animals go, yeah, try The Who, Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Sonics.

let me know what you think if you ever get around to listening!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • So there've been some new music releases lately and I'm currently raving over Colony House's new album When I Was Younger and Bleacher's new album A Strange Desire. Has anyone listened to these yet or have anything new this month they're obsessing?

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • nothing really cool has come out lately. ): the new Joyce Manor was cool and I'm seeing them in September now which is also cool but other than that it's been a very Boring summer as far as music goes imo.

Years
  • To answer the questions in the OP, from the first half of the year the only album I've enjoyed has been Ghost Stories which still wasn't perfect so I'm going to have to go with an extended play instead, Cilvia Demo by Isaiah Rashad (it's long enough to be an album so screw it). There's probably two mixtapes I'd put before Ghost Stories too, it hasn't been a good half a year in terms of albums.

In the second half, I'm looking forward to Carter V, Lil Wayne's 'other album', the unconfirmed Kanye album, the unconfirmed A$AP Rocky album and while I didn't realise they were happening before I clicked this thread the Interpol album and Panda Bear project will be cool as well. I'll keep anticipation for Kendrick low since his verses have mostly been annoying recently and I suspect he won't release the album until next year anyway.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • In the second half, I'm looking forward to Carter V, Lil Wayne's 'other album', the unconfirmed Kanye album, the unconfirmed A$AP Rocky album and while I didn't realise they were happening before I clicked this thread the Interpol album and Panda Bear project will be cool as well. I'll keep anticipation for Kendrick low since his verses have mostly been annoying recently and I suspect he won't release the album until next year anyway.

Why is Lil Wayne still trying to make music... >.<
    Never been a big fan of any of the people over at YMCM as many of them are part of the problem in trashing my favorite genre of hiphop XD

I'm pretty surprised that Kanye's new album is most likely coming soon as Yeezus was released a little over a year ago. Nevertheless I do enjoy some Kanye and i'll be looking forward to it.

As for albums of 2014 that I like... not much really. Haven't listened to Ultraviolence, but I do occasionally enjoy LdL's music so I might like that. Not even gonna talk about The New Classica and all Iggy Azalea's doing.

@ultramarine Classic Rock? Queen would be my go to, but from what the bands you listed i'm not sure you'd enjoy the majority of their songs.

Years
  • Why is Lil Wayne still trying to make music... >.<
    Never been a big fan of any of the people over at YMCM as many of them are part of the problem in trashing my favorite genre of hiphop XD

I'm pretty surprised that Kanye's new album is most likely coming soon as Yeezus was released a little over a year ago. Nevertheless I do enjoy some Kanye and i'll be looking forward to it.

Wayne's had a good year to be honest, I'd very surprised if Carter V wasn't a good album. I couldn't care less about the rest of YMCM except Drake though.

If he does his albums the same way as Yeezus which was all written and produced in about two weeks then I guess he could release albums on a pretty regular basis. We might not get it this year though.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I saw Panic! at the Disco live last night and it changed my life. The whole experience was just so fantastic and even now I smile thinking about it. It's one of those things that leaves you with the worst depression after it's over because you'll never be able to relive it in person and the memories are great but the passion of the moment was incomparable. So the best parts were the fact ****ing WALK THE MOON (and Youngblood Hawke but I didn't know them, though they were fantastic) OPENED AND I COULD'VE CRIED with how hard I was shivering. I love them sooo much and never heard them live and elheroeoscuro promised that they were more than amazing live and they WERE. They performed a good 8 songs, one of which was new (Sidekick) and it was... so great. Jenny and I Can Lift a Car blew me away, and Anna Sun created the most euphoric atmosphere.

Panic! was great as well. They performed some songs I didn't know, or didn't know the lyrics to, which was expected. They opened with Vegas Lights which was perfect given the countdown at the beginning. That lead into Time to Dance and with the line that goes SHOTGUN READY the crowd was involved as well so that pulled the beginning of the show together. Everything else was just as amazing if not more - they performed Bohemian Rhapsody and killed it in every sense of the phrase.

I've always thought Brendon Urie knows how to put on a show and connect with his crowd, and that was affirmed when in the finale (I Write Sins Not Tragedies) he had the crowd singing the chorus by ourselves twice in a row and then told the band "do that again, that was ****ing fantastic" so we resung the chorus another two or three times and ;__;

so emotional, so grand I might have cried during the end of all things but

can i do it again pls

Back