• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
crap you're right :/ lol seems like the only alright move he could get by the 8th gym is dig and night shade.
Well, not necessarily if you use Spinarak until it gets to level 40, or even better, 43, as your Ariados will have Psychic as well as Poison Jab. It'd be great if toxic is available earlier, though. Shame that it is (again) at the Battle Frontier..... Well, Dig isn't that bad, either. I presume you'll already have the Dig TM before the 8th gym (Maybe, as I don't really remember where to get it)

move tutors have bug bite? I'm not sure about Signal beam either.

All i know is, bug bite = move relearner (
Signal Beam = breeding
Well, they are available in the move tutors, and oh yeah, I didn't even notice about the move re-learner as Ariados can learn bug bite from him.....

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
Years
move tutors have bug bite? I'm not sure about Signal beam either.

All i know is, bug bite = move relearner
Signal Beam = breeding

I'd highly advise against it. First of all, Beedrill's stats aren't that good either (lower than Ariados's, even). He's also much squishier, for that matter. You will want to take advantage of his speed for offensive attacks. Toxic is an attack that requires more survivability, Beedrill has none of that. Without his speed, he would be crappier than Ariados >_<.

I used to teach Brick break to beedrill (not sure if it's was TM on following GENs) but this solves a lot of issues -- such as fighting against Rock and Ice types without a steel-bug pokemon (really tough situation). It also gives him an edge against Dark Pokemon.

oops my bad I completely mixed up toxic with toxic spikes lol... with beedrill you can throw down toxic spike get hit down to 30% activate swarm (hopefully) then use x scissor for a lot of damage.
Also in soul silver both bug bite and signal beam are taught by move tutors.

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
oops my bad I completely mixed up toxic with toxic spikes lol... with beedrill you can throw down toxic spike get hit down to 30% activate swarm (hopefully) then use x scissor for a lot of damage.
As for Bug Bite, Ariados can also learn it from the move re-learner as Bug Bite is one of its starting moves...Didn't notice that earlier.

Sindrie

Years
Yea you can get Dig before the 3rd gym is beaten in SS I might try that but I might grab pinsir so i'm unsure who i will throw it on. I'm unsure if I will pick up heracross/scyther/pinsir do to them being so mainstream and arguably OP (heracross >.>) so far I plan on using ledyba,spinarak,Butterfree,Beedrill. I have actually beat the game before using only scyther/heracross/pinsir so I don't know if I want to use them again they make the game so easy.

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
Yea you can get Dig before the 3rd gym is beaten in SS I might try that but I might grab pinsir so i'm unsure who i will throw it on. I'm unsure if I will pick up heracross/scyther/pinsir do to them being so mainstream and arguably OP (heracross >.>) so far I plan on using ledyba,spinarak,Butterfree,Beedrill. I have actually beat the game before using only scyther/heracross/pinsir so I don't know if I want to use them again they make the game so easy.
Well, if you think that they'll make the game too easy, then you can just avoid using them. But still, keeping one of them as safety measures won't hurt, though.....Again, if you want challenge, then don't include them in your party if you don't want to.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

That's a very risky tactic.

1) You're only throwing one toxic spike per attack.. dealing minimal poison damage per enemy. Poison may be quite useful... but only if it's used with the right combination (of pokemon, and moves). You'd find Spore/Stun Spore or the likes to be much more effective against team battles, at least for most of the story.

Why? Since bugs are kinda squishy in the first place, you couldn't rely on Poisoning every other opposing opponent -- always assume that they can kill you as soon as you take yours out. If you paralyzed/put them to sleep, you probably won't even get a single team member dead. I'd imagine the worst if you went against a crobat -- who can't be poisoned, is fast against most bugs, and is a flying type.

I did mention using Toxic on Ariados, which may make you think that's quite ironic to what i'm saying... But toxic can be used on selected opponents, and effectively. Once you throw out Toxic Spikes, you have no control of status infliction anymore -- which i think bugs are best with. Especially with the likes of Scyther who'd make use of Sleep/Paralyze to build up some damage from Swords Dance.

2) With one slot down, you only have 3 more for other attacks. Let's say you have Twinneedle, Poison Jab, Toxic Spikes and X scissor. How would Beedrill fare against bulky Psychic types (imagine natu, with your attacks being not very effective and outspeeding you)? How would the rest of your team fare against rock types? Against Dragon/Flying types (which, once again, aren't affected by spikes)?

While the idea is pretty nice. Bugs struggle a lot against most other typings, you'd have to make your moveset more versatile and reliable than that. Toxic spikes isn't just a move for Beedrill >_< Forretress, maybe... but not beedrill. Throw that X scissor immediately, but don't allow the opponent to land a free hit. Beedrill might be the last pokemon you'd have to outspeed the enemy. (altho you might have scyther, or yanma, or smth... which have WORSE movesets than beedrill -- in terms of versatility/type coverage)

Last edited:

Sindrie

Years
That's a very risky tactic.

1) You're only throwing one toxic spike per attack.. dealing minimal poison damage per enemy. Poison may be quite useful... but only if it's used by the right combination. You'd find Spore/Stun Spore or the likes to be much more effective against team battles. At least for most of the story.

Why? Since bugs are kinda squishy in the first place, you couldn't rely on Poisoning every other opposing opponent -- they can kill you as soon as you take yours out. If you paralyzed/put them to sleep, you probably won't even get a single team member dead. I'd imagine the worst if you went against a crobat -- who can't be poisoned, is fast against most bugs, and is a flying type.

I did mention using Toxic on Ariados, which may make you think that's quite ironic to what i'm saying... But toxic can be used on selected opponents, and effectively. Once you throw out Toxic Spikes, you have no control of status infliction anymore -- which i think bugs are best with. Especially with the likes of Scyther who'd make use of Sleep/Paralyze to build up some damage from Swords Dance.

2) With one slot down, you only have 3 more for other attacks. Let's say you have Twinneedle, Poison Jab, Toxic Spikes and X scissor. How would Beedrill fare against bulky Psychic types (imagine natu, with your attacks being not very effective and outspeeding you)? How would the rest of your team fare against rock types? Against Dragon/Flying types (which, once again, aren't affected by spikes)?

While the idea is pretty nice. Bugs struggle a lot against most other typings, you'd have to make your moveset more versatile and reliable than that. Toxic spikes isn't just a move for Beedrill >_< Forretress, maybe... but not beedrill. Throw that X scissor immediately, but don't allow the opponent to land a free hit. Beedrill might be the last pokemon you'd have to outspeed the enemy. (altho you might have scyther, or yanma, or smth... which have WORSE movesets than beedrill -- in terms of versatility/type coverage)

For sleep powder/stun I will leave that to butterfree 91% sleep powder is pretty lulzy you can sleep lock the entire game XD also I think you underestimate beedrill and swarm he can sweep entire teams with swarm and x-scissor. I'm not much of a min-maxer or a "hard-core" player I just use what pokemon I like.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites" - Elite Four Karen

but yeah back to ariados I think he will be pretty hard to use for most of the game but I guess with a combo of dig/psychic/pin Missile you can cover a lot of types.

EDIT: also one thing we forgot about spinarak is his access to insomnia that is very useful against psychics and ghosts.

Last edited:

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

For sleep powder/stun I will leave that to butterfree 91% sleep powered is pretty lulzy you can sleep lock the entire game XD also I think you underestimate beedrill and swarm he can sweep entire teams with swarm and x-scissor. I'm not much of a min-maxer or a "hard-core" player I just use what pokemon I like.
It's quite the opposite. I've used beedrill a lot. All my monotype runs always involved him (well now he just got replaced by vespiquen), so i do know his limits.

Sorry if i sounded pushy, though. I just imagined that Beedrill is your most offensive pokemon in your current team, and it would be wisest to keep him best as that -- an offensive pokemon. Yes, Swarm and X-scissor is the awesome way to go... but you most likely would be dead before that swarm kicks in if you allow an opponent to hit you. He's really squishy, that's what i'm trying to point at. Nonetheless, these are just advices... no need to follow them. You'd enjoy it more if you discovered better movesets on your own, anyway. Happy buzzing! kekeke

but yeah back to ariados I think he will be pretty hard to use for most of the game but I guess with a combo of dig/psychic/pin Missile you can cover a lot of types.
It will actually be harder to use Ledian XD He's so weak that you'd only take him out to revive others. Try not to rely on Pin Missile, though. With only effectiveness against psychic, grass and dark.. you're better off using another bug pokemon with better speed/bug moves (Psychic types will mostly outspeed Ariados, and him being a bug/Poison type, that means OHKO >_<).

edit: As for butterfree, using Toxic Spikes with beedrill, you cannot sleep/para lock them when they're already poisoned, could you? That was my very point in the previous post.

Sindrie

Years
It's quite the opposite. I've used beedrill a lot. All my monotype runs always involved him (well now he just got replaced by vespiquen), so i do know his limits.

Sorry if i sounded pushy, though. I just imagined that Beedrill is your most offensive pokemon in your current team, and it would be wisest to keep him best as that -- an offensive pokemon. Yes, Swarm and X-scissor is the awesome way to go... but you most likely would be dead before that swarm kicks in if you allow an opponent to hit you. He's really squishy, that's what i'm trying to point at. Nonetheless, these are just advices... no need to follow them. You'd enjoy it more if you discovered better movesets on your own, anyway. Happy buzzing! kekeke

It will actually be harder to use Ledian XD He's so weak that you'd only take him out to revive others. Try not to rely on Pin Missile, though. With only effectiveness against psychic, grass and dark.. you're better off using another bug pokemon with better speed/bug moves (Psychic types will mostly outspeed Ariados, and him being a bug/Poison type, that means OHKO >_<).

edit: As for butterfree, using Toxic Spikes with beedrill, you cannot sleep/para lock them when they're already poisoned, could you? That was my very point in the previous post.

I plan on picking up either pinsir or scyther as my heavy hitter. Ledian is pretty bad yeah lol XD but you can give him thunder and ice punch so he can cover more than ariados.

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
I plan on picking up either pinsir or scyther as my heavy hitter. Ledian is pretty bad yeah lol XD but you can give him thunder and ice punch so he can cover more than ariados.
Ice punch as well as Thunder punch are physical attacks, while Ledian's base attack power is really low....Hence, I don't think Ledian should be included as a physical hitter. Which makes Ledian is better as a special attacker or a support/ baton passer in my opinion. But still, it depends on your preference.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Well that'd be fun. How about Forretress? He's fun too! (and at least not that OP to make your game too easy. lol)

There's also Paras.. a bug/Grass hybrid, although suffers the same problem as Ariados. Lastly, Yanma? I think you'd love him :P

Sindrie

Years
Ice punch as well as Thunder punch are physical attacks, while Ledian's base attack power is really low....Hence, I don't think Ledian should be included as a physical hitter. Which makes Ledian is better as a special attacker or a support/ baton passer in my opinion. But still, it depends on your preference.

WOW thanks for pointing that out for some reason I was thinking he had like 85 attack... he has 35 thats just pathetic lol yeah I might have to rethink using him now XD

Never used Forretress but I may have to change that soon but I have used yanma and love him :3. I have used paras but his evolution is creepy! hes a zombie! lol

kinda related question: is scizor OP earlyish game? like around the 3'rd gym b/c I could do some trading with a friend and get him by the 3rd gym do you think he would blow up the game? I like using strong pokemon and all don't get me wrong :D but I try to avoid "press A to win pokemon" b/c of my attention span of a 3rd grader I will get bored before I beat the game XD

Last edited:

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
WOW thanks for pointing that out for some reason I was thinking he had like 85 attack... he has 35 thats just pathetic lol yeah I might have to rethink using him now XD

Never used Forretress but I may have to change that soon but I have used yanma and love him :3. I have used paras but his evolution is creepy! hes a zombie! lol

kinda related question: is scizor OP earlyish game? like around the 3'rd gym b/c I could do some trading with a friend and get him by the 3rd gym do you think he would blow up the game? I like using strong pokemon :D but I try to avoid "press A to win pokemon" b/c of my attention span of a 3rd grader I will get bored before I beat the game XD
Scizor is good, and I don't think it will ruin the game or makes the game too easy. There are still challenges even if you own a Scizor. I mean, the game won't be blown by simply possessing one Scizor :P

Oh, and if you think the game is too easy to beat, you should totally give the battle frontier a try......

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Which makes Ledian is better as a special attacker or a support/ baton passer in my opinion.
Most likely so. With Silver Wind and Agility, the results could be really wonderful.

As for Scizor.. hmm.. he has a moveset similar to Scyther's, and the only difference is the Steel - Flying change. I think that's a big difference though, since bugs' main problems is their squishiness. Scizor has speed, bulk and power, on that matter.. which makes him a really tough powerhouse >_<'a Although i suppose it wouldn't be so gamebreaking as compared to, say, a dragon pokemon.

He'd fare well in any situation, and that's probably the best i could describe him with.

I guess it's entirely up to you. But good luck!

Sindrie

Years
Scizor is good, and I don't think it will ruin the game or makes the game too easy. There are still challenges even if you own a Scizor. I mean, the game won't be blown by simply possessing one Scizor :P

hahaha ok sorry for the kinda dumb question most of my pokemon years is with the 1st gen and grass type at that I've only recently become a fan of the bug type. I think it would be interesting to try scizor out I have never used him but I have heard from people he is OP.. but odds are they just lost to him a lot and don't like him lol.

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
What do you guys think about Exploud? I was thinking of using it, and what should be the most suitable moves for it? (Excluding the breeding method)

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

What do you guys think about Exploud? I was thinking of using it, and what should be the most suitable moves for it? (Excluding the breeding method)
Well, first off, as one of the most versatile pokemon, he can use any offensive move without any problems. Ice Beam, Earthquake, Shadow Ball - you name it; he can use anything really well.

However, you will have to keep an eye out on every physical attacker you fight. If they have a fighting-type move, your Exploud is most probably pooped. His speed is pretty bad, not to mention his defenses. Squishy. That aside, you should have absolutely no problems at all trying to figure out what you want to do with him. He's like a snuggly doll you can dress with any costume!

For his moveset, it's really simple thanks to his stats. You won't have to think about physical/special at all... you only have to look at an attack's raw power and accuracy!
- Ground/Fighting/Fire (preferrably: Hammer Arm [egg move] / Brick Break / Fire Blast / Equake)
- Ice/Water (Surf / Ice Beam)
- STAB move for the others (Uproar / Hyper Voice / Return)
- move that covers other types

Ground/Fighting/Fire is mainly to counter Rock/Steel Types - although with an Ice/Water move, you can already take down rocks easily. Rock/Steel types are top mention because your STAB move makes little to no damage against them.

Ice/Water, aside from the mentioned, can help counter Fire, Grass or even the pesky Dragon types.

STAB, for those you could easily kill without type advantages. A lot of Psychic, Dark, Bug and Grass fall here.

Other. This is probably the most important piece to solve your puzzle. This particularly points to the first choice in my list -- If you chose a ground type earlier, then it means pokemon like Skarmory and Bronzong would be a pain for you to battle. In that case, putting Fire Blast in your "Other" category solves that problem. If you chose fighting, again, Skarmory could be a pain... as well as Scizor. Fire Blast shows yet another entrance. Now If you chose Fire Blast and picked Surf in your 2nd slot, then you can insert an Ice type here... or even a psychic type... ANYTHING! Whatever you feel might benefit your team the most could easily go here.

Last edited:

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
Well, first off, as one of the most versatile pokemon, he can use any offensive move without any problems. Ice Beam, Earthquake, Shadow Ball - you name it; he can use anything really well.

However, you will have to keep an eye out on every physical attacker you fight. If they have a fighting-type move, your Exploud is most probably pooped. His speed is pretty bad, not to mention his defenses. Squishy. That aside, you should have absolutely no problems at all trying to figure out what you want to do with him. He's like a snuggly doll you can dress with any costume!

For his moveset, it's really simple thanks to his stats. You won't have to think about physical/special at all... you only have to look at an attack's raw power and accuracy!
- Ground/Fighting/Fire (preferrably: Hammer Arm [egg move] / Brick Break / Fire Blast / Equake)
- Ice/Water (Surf / Ice Beam)
- STAB move for the others (Uproar / Hyper Voice / Return)
- move that covers other types

Ground/Fighting/Fire is mainly to counter Rock/Steel Types - although with an Ice/Water move, you can already take down rocks easily. Rock/Steel types are top mention because your STAB move makes little to no damage against them.

Ice/Water, aside from the mentioned, can help counter Fire, Grass or even the pesky Dragon types.

STAB, for those you could easily kill without type advantages. A lot of Psychic, Dark, Bug and Grass fall here.

Other. This is probably the most important piece to solve your puzzle. This particularly points to the first choice in my list -- If you chose a ground type earlier, then it means pokemon like Skarmory and Magnezone would be a pain for you to battle. In that case, putting Fire Blast in your "Other" category solves that problem. If you chose fighting, again, Skarmory could be a pain... as well as Scizor. Fire Blast shows yet another entrance. Now If you chose Fire Blast and picked Surf in your 2nd slot, then you can insert an Ice type here... or even a psychic type... ANYTHING! Whatever you feel might benefit your team the most could easily go here.

Thank you :)
Another one, my Exploud's atk right now is around 20-30 points higher than its Sp. Atk. So, should I give it Fire Blast, or Fire Punch?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Another one, my Exploud's atk right now is around 20-30 points higher than its Sp. Atk. So, should I give it Fire Blast, or Fire Punch?
Fire Blast's still a better choice.

and minor correction: Magnezone -> Bronzong. I thought it was Magnezone with the Levitate ability >_< which make ground-type moves useless.

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
Fire Blast's still a better choice.

and minor correction: Magnezone -> Bronzong. I thought it was Magnezone with the Levitate ability >_< which make ground-type moves useless.
Oh, okay, Fire Blast then....Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back