• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    In order to get the calculator to return IVs, you have to know how many EVs are in each stat, and vice versa. The calculators can't come up with figures for both, since they're added together to get the total. If you tell it how many EVs there are for each stat, it can figure out what the IVs are, or if you tell it what the IVs are, it can figure out how many EVs there are on that stat. It can't do both.

GoldenHouou

Abstract Nonsense
    Years
  • Yeah, you need to count the EVs yourself when you train a Pokémon; it's not something an online calculator can ever tell you (ironically enough, it could if you knew the IVs, but alas). Unfortunately, since you've already trained it without counting the EVs it got, it's impossible to find them out now, unless you reset his EVs with a reset bag.

Also, there is a guy who will tell you if your IVs are full or zero, and give a general estimation of your IVs in total. You can talk to him after you beat the Pokémon league, in a Pokémon Center in Kiloude City.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Going to merge with the Q&A thread sticky, in case you have anything else to clarify/to be clarified on how IV calculators work. But yes, you need to know the EVs to know the IVs, but getting a reset bag via Super Training or feeding it (lots of) berries that reduce EVs, such as the Hondew berry, will set them to 0, and then it's easier to find the IVs. (Super training, btw, will give you a general idea of what the EVs are - you can have up to 252 in each state, 510 total. But it's not that easy to gauge numbers from that display to be honest, and you're not going to get very accurate answers either).

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    I'm not even sure if Platinum can even connect to Battle Revolution, otherwise I wouldn't always use Pokemon Diamond to do the transfers.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I'm sure Platinum can connect, since my brother was playing my Revolution file the other day and it had all of my shiny/Ev'd/etc Pokemon and I distinctly remember those being on Platinum and not Diamond. I would say that the problem is your Wifi, since I remember having the same problem where my DS couldn't connect to WPA Wifi but I think it might be the 3DS. Do you have/know anyone who has a DS you can try? You only need a DS once for Revolution, to transfer your Pokemon. You can use a DS as a controller, but it's not necessary.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • I'm not sure if I should ask here or on the GSC board, but I'll ask here anyway.

Will resetting my Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Stadium 2 cartridges let me get Psyduck and Gligar again? I bought them used and both Psyduck and Gligar are gone...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    How does one Sketch Baton Pass onto a Smeargle? I don't see how it'd work since the Pokemon you're Sketching it from will switch out and then Sketch will probably fail.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    How does one Sketch Baton Pass onto a Smeargle? I don't see how it'd work since the Pokemon you're Sketching it from will switch out and then Sketch will probably fail.
    There are multiple ways. The easiest way is to do a double battle with only two Pokemon, causing Baton Pass to fail. Another one is sketching it off a Ditto that it transformed into one of your Pokemon. There is also a way with Taunting in a Triple Battle but this is a bit more complicated than the first method.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    There are multiple ways. The easiest way is to do a double battle with only two Pokemon, causing Baton Pass to fail. Another one is sketching it off a Ditto that it transformed into one of your Pokemon. There is also a way with Taunting in a Triple Battle but this is a bit more complicated than the first method.
    Oooooooooh, why didn't I think of that before. Thank you =).

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2014
    Transferring from Ruby

Hello.

I have not played a Pokemon game since Emerald and don't own a system newer than a Gameboy SP

I was told it was possible to bring Pokemon from that gen forward to the current.

What games/systems do I need and how do I do it?

Thanks

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • You'd need to buy a DS Lite (or an original DS with the GBA function) and a 3DS to get them all the way to XY.

In-game, I think you need to beat the Elite 4 in HGSS and speak to someone for transferring. Then, you'd need to beat BW/B2W2 and transfer through there, then buy PokeBank for 5$ off the eShop on the 3DS and use the PokeTransfer function to get them all the way through.

I also believe Ruby->HGSS only allows six Pokemon per day, which is cruddy, but meh.

Someone else might be able to give more thorough descriptions of the NPCs and stuff you need to talk to, but you'd definitely require a 3DS and an original DS or a DS Lite + at least two other Pokemon Games, completed past the Elite 4. It might even be three if DPPt is somehow involved, but again, someone else might be able to clarify a bit further.

It's a hassle, in any case :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Hey there PokeDwelf, I merged your thread in here since your question was related to Pokémon games in general as opposed to just ORAS. Have a nice day!

Years
  • I had a question about Porygon and his STAB, and I'm not sure if I'm asking in the right area (re-direct me if I'm not).

But if Porygon uses conversion and changes into an Electric Type Pokemon, does his STAB then affect the Zap Cannon move?​

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I had a question about Porygon and his STAB, and I'm not sure if I'm asking in the right area (re-direct me if I'm not).

But if Porygon uses conversion and changes into an Electric Type Pokemon, does his STAB then affect the Zap Cannon move?​
    You're in the right place.

Yes, if Porygon becomes an Electric type via Conversion, it will get STAB on Zap Cannon.

Obliveon

Burn...
    Years
  • I've got a problem. I'm trying to use the Purify Chamber in Gale of Darkness for the first time, but when I step on the circle nothing happens. What do I do?

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    I've got a problem. I'm trying to use the Purify Chamber in Gale of Darkness for the first time, but when I step on the circle nothing happens. What do I do?

You have to make sure you've beaten Lovrina in the Shadow PKMN Lab, then when you get back to the main lab, it will show you how to use it, if you've done that, then make sure you have at least one Pokemon in it, the only way to purify before that is the Purify Stone in Agate Village.

Obliveon

Burn...
    Years
  • You have to make sure you've beaten Lovrina in the Shadow PKMN Lab, then when you get back to the main lab, it will show you how to use it, if you've done that, then make sure you have at least one Pokemon in it, the only way to purify before that is the Purify Stone in Agate Village.

I beat Lovrina. I tried putting Pokemon in the sets, but this so called Control Panel won't show up like they told me it would. Is there maybe something wrong with my game?

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    I beat Lovrina. I tried putting Pokemon in the sets, but this so called Control Panel won't show up like they told me it would. Is there maybe something wrong with my game?

If you're talking about the little cut scene you get when you purify Pokemon, you can't do it from a PC, make sure you're doing it at the HQ Lab.

I don't get what you mean by "Control Panel", can you tell me step by step what you're doing so I can see where you're stuck.

Obliveon

Burn...
    Years
  • If you're talking about the little cut scene you get when you purify Pokemon, you can't do it from a PC, make sure you're doing it at the HQ Lab.

I don't get what you mean by "Control Panel", can you tell me step by step what you're doing so I can see where you're stuck.

Ok, well I'm in the HQ Lab and everyone is standing around that circular plate in the middle of the Purifying Room. They just finished it, and they want me to activate it for the first time. They won't let me leave until I do. One of the lab tech's keeps telling me to check the hologram (where pokemon would show up if there were Pokemon in the Sets) and Prof. Krane tells me that if I step on this plate a Control Panel should show up so I can put Pokemon in the Sets to be purified. But when I step on the plate it doesn't do anything even though all the NPCs keep telling me it's suppose to activate the machine.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    Ok, well I'm in the HQ Lab and everyone is standing around that circular plate in the middle of the Purifying Room. They just finished it, and they want me to activate it for the first time. They won't let me leave until I do. One of the lab tech's keeps telling me to check the hologram (where pokemon would show up if there were Pokemon in the Sets) and Prof. Krane tells me that if I step on this plate a Control Panel should show up so I can put Pokemon in the Sets to be purified. But when I step on the plate it doesn't do anything even though all the NPCs keep telling me it's suppose to activate the machine.

Are you pressing A, because that's what activates it, just press A while you're standing on it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back