• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Can anyone who owns a 2DS and a 3DS tell what differences there are and which one they find they like better? If someone solely owns a 2DS what is so neat about it?

Right now, I'm learning towards the 2DS because it is so wallet friendly.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    Can anyone who owns a 2DS and a 3DS tell what differences there are and which one they find they like better? If someone solely owns a 2DS what is so neat about it?

Right now, I'm learning towards the 2DS because it is so wallet friendly.

I don't have a 3DS, only a 2DS so I can't really tell you much about their differences.

What I can tell you is:

the 2DS doesn't have the 3D option (but it doesn't matter much, most games don't use it so you're not missing out on anything spectacular);

you can't add the Expansion Slide Pad (in case you don't know what that is - it's an add-on for the Nintendo 3DS that you "slide" near the console and adds an extra circle pad and a new R button);

the 3DS' stereo speakers are not a thing. The 2DS has mono speakers, although this can be fixed with a good pair of headphones, since those still offer stereo sound;

● the 2DS has a shorter battery life than the 3DS XL, but longer battery life than the 3DS.

Now I don't know if you're ever around children, but I often find myself having to care for my little nephew. I have painful memories of him snapping my Gameboy Advance SP in two, but I can tell you I feel much better knowing this can't happen with the compact design of the 2DS.

One last thing: although it may look huge or uncomfortable, the 2DS actually fits very well in your hands!

Honestly, the 2DS isn't just a cheap alternative to the 3DS. Well, no, it kinda is. My point is, it's a very respectable console by itself. If you want one, by all means, go and buy one. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The games play the same, the Nintendo eShop is still there, you can play online just fine.

Years
    Now I don't know if you're ever around children, but I often find myself having to care for my little nephew. I have painful memories of him snapping my Gameboy Advance SP in two, but I can tell you I feel much better knowing this can't happen with the compact design of the 2DS.

One last thing: although it may look huge or uncomfortable, the 2DS actually fits very well in your hands!

Honestly, the 2DS isn't just a cheap alternative to the 3DS. Well, no, it kinda is. My point is, it's a very respectable console by itself. If you want one, by all means, go and buy one. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The games play the same, the Nintendo eShop is still there, you can play online just fine.

I'm not around kids, so I wouldn't have that problem. I appreciate your input. I'm almost sold on the 2DS because of it's price and the fact that it still plays DS and 3DS games. I'm not sure how much I'd be missing out on the 3D feature, but honestly it doesn't concern me. I also wanted to ask you though, what model do you have? I know there are several out there and I was looking at the crystal blue and red ones they look very neat.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    I would probably say so, aside from what flight said above. Magnezone does have lots of resistances and has some utility moves it can be backed up with, so it's probably one of the better choices, although it can't do anything in the way of physical attacks. Electivire is better for those.

I understand. However, which pokemon would you say is more powerful and does more damage?

Black-Tigress

Exclusive Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2017
    So, I have a quick question about shiny pokemon..

Is it determined within a grass patch if a pokemon is shiny or not - or is it determined as soon as the battle starts?

I was thinking that it was determined by grass solely because of the pokeradar - but then I thought that it is a specific machine that allows for grass to be pre-determined..So I don't think I'm correct about that.

I'm asking because I'd like to use a certain O-Power (encounter) during my hunts in the friend safari's - but I don't know if it'll hurt me in the long run..
    We already know the chances of finding a shiny there are 1/512..If shinies are determined by grass patches, then I'd have to sought out the particular grass patch to find the shiny. If this is the case, using an O-Power with encountering wouldn't really help out too well since more grass patches will appear. This is because it's way more likely to be a shiny-less patch than one with a shiny..

I hope that made sense, but anywho..Is it determined within a grass patch if a pokemon is shiny or not - or is it determined as soon as the battle starts? Does anyone know?

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    PLAY it ALL

Hello everybody
    Im jay
    As a kid i used to watcj pokemon and somewhat play it
    Now that i have free time i want to go back and play it
    Im usimg an emulator on my phone and now playing the fire red
    Ive heard that the best usually is the third one so thats the one i would like to play fr each
    Generation.so any advice please?

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    Ok i guess i should be more specific
    So im using the emulator\on my phone with roms
    I want to play 1 game from each generation.
    Ive heard that usually the 3rd remake is the best one.
    Would like to play some spin offs but thats later on i also saw
    There is these things like dark rising and so on no sure what they are yet but i want to hit\memory lane with one game
    From each generation.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Ok i guess i should be more specific
    So im using the emulator\on my phone with roms
    I want to play 1 game from each generation.
    Ive heard that usually the 3rd remake is the best one.
    Would like to play some spin offs but thats later on i also saw
    There is these things like dark rising and so on no sure what they are yet but i want to hit\memory lane with one game
    From each generation.

Dark Rising is a ROM hack. You can look at ROM Hacks here -> Clicky~

As for your main question, you should be aware that [remakes] don't have a third version...yet. FireRed and LeafGreen are remakes of the original Red and Blue/Green versions. As I've said, remakes don't have a third version, so you'll only have to choose between FireRed and LeafGreen. Other examples of [remakes] are HeartGold and SoulSilver, and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Third versions are only available for the [main] games. Example would be Ruby and Sapphire for the 3rd generation. Since they are not [remakes], they have a third version, which is Emerald.

Years
    So I have purchased a 2DS for myself, and now the question becomes which Pokemon game do I start out with?

X/Y or OR/AS? They both seem to have their strengths, but I'm asking you folks to give me your reference on these games which ones would be better to start out on my first DS experience.

Years
    Interesting take, flight.

Do a person have to buy all 4 games in order to 'catch them all'? Or is it a lot of it trading and breeding?

Years
    Interesting take, flight.

Do a person have to buy all 4 games in order to 'catch them all'? Or is it a lot of it trading and breeding?

The good thing with X/Y and OR/AS is that having both games means you can just trade between them to get a good chunk of the Pokemon. There's a handy thread over here to find out what's exclusive to which game so you can know what to trade and "catch 'em all": click here

And if you need something that isn't in your version, our helpful folks over in Trade Corner are happy to help.

Years
    The good thing with X/Y and OR/AS is that having both games means you can just trade between them to get a good chunk of the Pokemon. There's a handy thread over here to find out what's exclusive to which game so you can know what to trade and "catch 'em all": click here

And if you need something that isn't in your version, our helpful folks over in Trade Corner are happy to help.

Having both X/Y and OR/AS, wouldn't that require getting a second 2DS system to trade with myself?

Years
    Having both X/Y and OR/AS, wouldn't that require getting a second 2DS system to trade with myself?

Remember that if you have a good wi-fi connection, you can do online trading with the PSS in all 6th Gen games. If your connection sucks then yeah, two systems may be the way to go.

Years
    Remember that if you have a good wi-fi connection, you can do online trading with the PSS in all 6th Gen games. If your connection sucks then yeah, two systems may be the way to go.

Ahh okay. Understand though. This 2DS purchase is my first time into the DS world. I haven't played DPP/HGSS for the regular DS/Lite nor did I own one.

Last Pokemon games I played were with the gameboy advance in FR/LG.

Years
    Bought a "New 3DS" recently and am wondering if Pokebank/Transfer has a way to transfer from my 2DS over to my New 3DS

Assuming you also downloaded Pokemon Bank to your New 3DS, then yes you can transfer. There's not much difference between the New 3DS and other systems in the 3DS family, the only difference being some exclusive games for the former.

Years
    So is the PokeBank required to do all the trading and such? Or does having two systems erase the need for the PokeBank?

Years
    You can still trade between systems, so Pokemon Bank isn't always needed.

So let's say a person has a combination of 2 systems (2DS, 3DS or 3DSXL) would a person find the need to use the PokeBank? From the research I've done it sounds like a player who had 2 systems could still trade Pokemon between systems it's just that it would be slower between that person would have to trade each Pokemon one by one. Is that accurate?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back