• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Now, for something off topic, where do u guys get your pics for appearance, ect. It bugs me how peeps find awesome pics, and I come up empty.
    Google is your friend :3 Just gotta think of the right search terms, depending on what kind of character you are looking for. You can also look directly on deviantart but it's trickier to actually search for something specific there, and some artists might not want you to use their work otherplace.

So that explains those beautiful new banners. Cool. :3 I'm liking the little redesign.
    Got rid of the library again? I guess it's not easy to upkeep, lol.
    Good that you like it! They are a bit weird lol but roleplaying here can be about anything so why not a traveler on the back of a white giant Pidgeot bird in a steampunk zeppelin city or with flying whales with windows and furnaces? 8)

Also yeah, the library kept slipping out of my mind and when I remembered it I either didn't have time or just didn't feel like going through every new and outdated RP. I guess if there is someone here who think they can do a great job with it, we can stick the library again and change the first poster from me to this other eager RPer? :) But I wasn't sure if people really checked the library anyways.

Have you realised you make a better Roleplayer than GM, or the other way around? How did you figure it out, and have you accepted it or tried to change it?
    Truth be told, I actually regard myself as lazy as a RPer and overthinking as a GM xD I am one of those sad souls who can lose interest in a RP too quickly if stuff doesn't keep happening. I don't like that thing about myself and I'm trying to change it - by making things happen myself!
    When it comes to GMing, whoa. I've GM'd a lot of RPs here. All of them died after some time :3 That doesn't mean that they were complete failures. As long as the players had a good time (and you as a GM too of course!) for a while, it wasn't a worthless RP. But of course it's my dream to finish a RP as a GM one day :3 And as a RPer for that matter, haha.

But I suppose... In some ways I enjoy GMing more than RPing. But I'm almost always a player in my own RPs too, so. Mostly to set an example or nudge the story along.​

Hm... Allow me to stick in a different topic. For research purposes!
    Did you ever really use the Roleplay Library?

Fort PokePower

Muffins forever
    Years
    Have you realised you make a better Roleplayer than GM, or the other way around? How did you figure it out, and have you accepted it or tried to change it?

Hmm... I believe I'm a better RPer than GM. I get too impatient when I GM my own RP and start moving things waaaaay too quickly and start confusing things. Or at least, I used to. I'm hoping I do better with Fargona when I finally get off my lazy butt and finish renovating it XD

I did! It was my go-to place whenever I was looking for an RP to join, or just to browse.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    Good that you like it! They are a bit weird lol but roleplaying here can be about anything so why not a traveler on the back of a white giant Pidgeot bird in a steampunk zeppelin city or with flying whales with windows and furnaces? 8)

Also yeah, the library kept slipping out of my mind and when I remembered it I either didn't have time or just didn't feel like going through every new and outdated RP. I guess if there is someone here who think they can do a great job with it, we can stick the library again and change the first poster from me to this other eager RPer? :) But I wasn't sure if people really checked the library anyways.

That's true, and the pictures are great regardless!

And I'd say that I'd be willing to keep an eye on it, but I'm not really trustworthy. I mean, I'd remember to check it every time I log into PC, but I don't always log in that consistently, lol.

Nope! Funny considering I've always enjoyed the idea of the RP Library. I'm just not around incredibly often, I sometimes forgot it was there, and I guess I didn't really need to check it to see what roleplays were around. Perhaps if it gave a brief summary of what each roleplay was about, then it'd be nice, rather than clicking on each roleplay to read them, but . . . that sounds like a tedious thing to maintain. Then again, it's also a tedious thing to click on each roleplay. Hmm. . . .

and OH my ARCEUS my dog keeps walking all over my keyboard D:

Years
    To answer the first question, I think I am probably a better GM than RPer. My favourite part of RPing is constructing the world that it occurs in and the plot that will develop - existing universe or not - and I feel that is where my strengths lie too. Plus, as an RPer I often run into dry patches but as a GM I tend to be pretty good at managing things and keeping ideas churning.

As for the library, I didn't use it too much but I did use it. It was quite useful to see what other RPs were going on etc in one nicely organised lump so I would know whether or not my ideas would be well received.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
    Have you realized you make a better Roleplayer than GM, or the other way around? How did you figure it out, and have you accepted it or tried to change it?

I consider myself a better RPer than GM. However, some people keep telling me it's the other way around for some reason. Idk. Well, I say this mainly because whenever I've tried to GM in the past it's always failed, bar some one-on-one RPs I GMed, but those don't count because they're casual and easy. Here, I definitely never GMed anything for very long, though that was years ago. Despite this, while I thoroughly enjoy experiencing others' stories, I do sometimes feel like making my own, and GMing seems to be a great way to share these stories and experience them with others. I'm just too scared I'll get worked up over a great idea just to see it fail again. >_>

I mean, I know it's extremely unlikely an RP will make it to the end, but I'd at least like to make one where I can get far enough into the story to actually enjoy myself, and more importantly let the RPers enjoy themselves.

Though, most RPs seem to be taking off rather well lately. It kind of encourages me, but I'll have to get over my GMingphobia first.

As for why some people seem to think I'm a good GM, they say it's because despite my many fails, I did manage to keep the RPs well organized and was a stern leader. (I cannot fathom what would make them think that) Though, if I can live up to these things they see in me, I could probably maybe just a tiny bit maybe GM again. :3

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

I can't really answer this one specifically. I like the idea of GM'ing more, but I can never seem to pull off an RP. I always have ideas for RP's, and I have different interests in RP'ing than most do, so I tend to make RP's that I want to join, as opposed to what I think people would join. Maybe that's my problem, maybe that's a good thing and I'm screwing something else up.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    ^^
    Hai hai people of the RP corner <3
    I've been REALLY busy lately and I dropped by today to see lots of new RPs <3
    I'm still going to be busy for the month of july, but I foresee my coming back to the RPC starting with the month of August ^^

Well, considering my Johto Mysteries RP failed badly and that life took over me and I had to leave RPC completely, I'd say I'm equally not good in both fields xD

But in all seriousness, I think I can do both just fine.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
    Years
    Leaving PC again guys. Don't know of this is final or not (given my track record of trying to leave) but my interest has somewhat faded and I'm needing my time more and more by the day. Just gonna keep it short and say see ya guys, keep having fun, being creative and whatnot. You all know the drill by now. If anyone is attempting to keep in contact, my Skype is linked to this profile, and my Facebook is facebook.com/InnenZaika

Thanks guys, roleplay on.
    -Dusk

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
    I said the same thing three times at least. But this place is like a black hole; it's inescapable.

Let me ooooout!

aceattorneyweirdgirl

oh heck oh frig im girl now
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024

I don't have any idea. I just got back from a hiatus of over a year, so I have no clue where my skills currently lie. I do remember having a lot of fun GMing back 2 or 3 years ago, but the actual quality of my writing was dubious, especially since all of my RPs (with the possible exception of Tainted, the one that never got off the ground) used the same basic plot device (OH NO! A VIRUS IS MAKING POKEMENZ ANGRY! DON'T GET IT URSELFZ!).

Regardless, I am anxious to see if I will make a good GM this time around.

Years
    So now that we've discussed what we're good at I have two more questions for you, at least one I think I have asked before.

1. What do you enjoy more; creating and GMing or participating in roleplays?

2. What are some roleplays you have particularly enjoyed GMing or taking part in?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think I enjoy GMing more, even though I'm most often sorta rubbish at it :) at the same time, it can be amazing to be a player in a RP where the GM really cares about the plot and players though, and when you get immersed in the story and characters.

I loved GMing my old RP "Foreigners". I don't think I had a main character of my own first, I just played around with "npcs" and could throw random plotlines and events at my oblivious players 8)

My current RP "Crossroads" is another lovely piece where I'm a player as well. We've turned into a closely knit group of friends and even though I'm the one steering the chapters, I feel like we're all on equal footing and I try to listen to wishes and ideas from the others (even though everyone can't get their favorite pokemon off the bat ;)) The characters have really come alive and I'll do my best to keep up with Crossroads until the end!<3

I did love being a player in Atlantis Arising and Atlantis Awakening. The world Skymin and revlis had created was so detailed and well thought through. I wish I had had time to stay and get to the point where they are now :')

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
    Years
    I, myself, like being a player, honestly. As much fun as GM'ing Tenkaichi for like the two weeks it was up, I really liked playing my character more. Besides, I have dozens of ideas like, "Ah man! That would be an awesome roleplay," but I'll lose interest or focus as soon as I try to develop the plot. I have the attention span of a small child, so I have a hard time focusing on a single roleplay.

I've discovered that as a player you're in store for so much more. There are plots to delve into, secrets to uncover, and plot twists to hate your GM for. This might just be my promiscuous attitude, but I hate spending all my time on a single roleplay, and being a player allows you to focus more on different varieties.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Some really great replies to my question there, so I'll go ahead and ask another one. To answer it ahead of time, I like both, but sandbox suits me better right now.

So the main RP/only RP I'm currently involved in is Pokemon Trainer Academy which is a sandbox style rather than plot based, although there is a plot for those who wish to engage in it. I like having the freedom to control my characters progress and activities and allows me to RP with others a lot or just do some writing by myself as the mood takes me. But it certainly seems like we have more plot driven RP's than sandbox ones, soooo...

Do you prefer plot driven RP's or sandbox RP's? Why so, and have you given the other one a try?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024

I try my best at both being a GM and a Roleplayer. Whether I'm a good roleplayer or not depends on the GM of that RP; I constantly have new ideas about my character or where the story is going, and I'd like it if I had a voice that reaches the GM's ears about such matters. I need to be thoroughly inspired by the concept of an RP, in order for me to enjoy it, and thus be a good roleplayer. That said, I can enjoy an RP to the maximum when I am the GM, because my ideas can be polished, improved and incorporated into the canon far more often than they would be if I was a common player. I believe I'm one of the people who feel the need to make an impressionable story that affects others, instead of just being part in one. If I'm more good at that rather than being a player, that's not for me to say.

Do you prefer plot driven RP's or sandbox RP's? Why so, and have you given the other one a try?

I prefer a solid plot to a sandbox. A story with plot is always superior to one with great liberties for the players to take, but I guess that is subjective - there are all kinds of RPs, and all kinds of people who enjoy them. I digress though, so I'll go ahead and say I've been part of both types of RPs, and I find the organized system of a plot-driven RP to be much more attractive to one where castles are built on sand and then trampled over by others. If I were to enjoy a sandbox RP, it would have to be with intelligent, mature people who are skilled writers as my co-players.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    I give him a week.
    I said the same thing three times at least. But this place is like a black hole; it's inescapable.

Let me ooooout!
    should we start a pool?

IN ANY CASE --

on my own i am a torterrible gm i think i make cool concepts im just god awful at implementing them. i'd rather be a player anyway!! :) more fun finding out the plots and twists and turns

both!1 plot driven sandbox!!! :)

Years
    @Skymin - You should officially start a pool as a thread, winner gets an emblem. Use calender dates though.

I honestly think for the most part RPs are going to run smoother with some sort of plot behind them. In saying that though I think it is good to create something of a balance between sandbox and plot driven so that there's a driving force behind the RP but also plenty of freedom to pursue individual ideas.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    So...gonna go ahead and advertise a bit here for my new RP. Go ahead an check it out! Here's a brief summary.

I think I'm a better GM. I've done some good things, finished a few, got some compliments, so I'm doing alright.

I like a mix. Mixes are nice. But I tend to lean slightly more to driven RPs as a GM and a player.

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
    Years
    Spoiler:

Speaking of advertising...*Looks up, sees he put the ad before announcing it* oh...Well whatevs! The Rift War's IC is almost ready to submit my lovelies! Feel free to take a look and join if it interests you.

Personally I love being a GM and being a player equally so far. I don't have much experience with GMing yet, but Wings of Fate is going strong and I love watching other people enjoy something I set up, there's a profound pleasure in it. But I also love not being fully in on all the nuances and mystery of an RP, just stumbling along through the story like everyone else too.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back