• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
    Years
    I joined PC almost 4 years ago and it was already around for at least a year by then. I'm pretty sad that it died, considering it was part of my childhood I guess.

That said... Sword Art Online: Sanctuary has been around for almost 2 years O.o (9th of May, 2013) and I think Youkai Academy was around for 2/3 years as well before I went on a hiatus, came back and couldn't find the thread anymore to my surprise. It almost ended too...

Maybe I can poke Yellow and tell her to bring PTA back alive. I might just do that.

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years
    Wow. I may not have ever been in PTA, but I was actually in the RP the original GM made right before it (a few days before, according to a quick search) and that feels like a lifetime ago. Welp, so long and thanks for being a superb entry point from which to introduce new players to the corner as well as being overall fun (from what I've seen, at least). Your presence helped make the corner a better place. I never knew you, but you will be missed.

Unless Rose Quartz's Yellow-poking succeeds, of course.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
    Years
    Wow. I may not have ever been in PTA, but I was actually in the RP the original GM made right before it (a few days before, according to a quick search) and that feels like a lifetime ago. Welp, so long and thanks for being a superb entry point from which to introduce new players to the corner as well as being overall fun (from what I've seen, at least). Your presence helped make the corner a better place. I never knew you, but you will be missed.

Unless Rose Quartz's Yellow-poking succeeds, of course.

I actually succeeded!

She's gonna ask everyone to post part of their joint posts or something :3 so let's consider PTA alive again~

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    General question: do you enjoy "journey-style" pokémon RPs these days or are you mostly interested in other, possibly more intricate pokémon plots?

Question 2: do you find yourself drawn more to pokémon RPs or "Other" RPs?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I've not participated in a Pokemon RP yet, and I don't know that I will. However that being said, if I were to join one I think I'd be drawn more to something with a plot that's a little more intricate than just a journey around a region.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    do you enjoy "journey-style" pokémon RPs these days or are you mostly interested in other, possibly more intricate pokémon plots?

I think a journey RP would be better with some optional story to participate in. That way the world feels like there is enough to do, but it leaves the freedom the players want from a journey RP.

I'm in one pokemon RP, and at the moment that's enough. I like some variety I think. Although I wouldn't have a problem with being in a Pokemon and a PMD RP.

Years
    Do you enjoy "journey-style" pokémon RPs these days or are you mostly interested in other, possibly more intricate pokémon plots?

Honestly, journey style seem kind of dull in comparison to the fantastic plots people come up with. Unless the journey has a gimmick of some kind, there's just not enough to make it stand out these days.

I find myself drawn to Other RP's, because of the creativity and variety. But I'm always looking at Pokemon threads, seeing them as classic style.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    General question: do you enjoy "journey-style" pokémon RPs these days or are you mostly interested in other, possibly more intricate pokémon plots?
    I've kinda outgrown the Journey genre of roleplays. I love to explore new ideas and concepts and push the boundaries until they just collapse xD I'm all about novelty :]

It really depends, honestly. I just join whatever impresses or wows me. Non-Pokemon tends to do that easily because a lot of Pokemon roleplays overlap or carry lots of cliches, and tend to be something that has been done.

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    so i feel we need some other-side perspective here c:

Do you enjoy "journey-style" pokémon RPs these days or are you mostly interested in other, possibly more intricate pokémon plots?
    i've actually been looking to join a journey-style RP. but then i'm still picky and wouldn't play the 'standard sandbox' ones that are most common, where the only structure lies in which city your next badge is at. but i'd love to join a journey similar to Crossroads, simply because of its structure and intricate design with regard to special events and storyline. that, or a journey RP through a fanmade region, since that would be a brand new experience too (but not with fakemon, haha).

Do you find yourself drawn more to pokémon RPs or "Other" RPs?
    generally i'm more drawn towards Pokémon RPs, simply because i'm already familiar with the setting then. 'Other' RPs can only interest me when they have a setting i'm either familiar with because it's based on another franchise i know, or that is easy enough to understand without having to read an incredibly complex history or classes/magic system. but there are exceptions

I'm in one pokemon RP, and at the moment that's enough. I like some variety I think. Although I wouldn't have a problem with being in a Pokemon and a PMD RP.
    *clears throat obviously* c:

Years

I tend to like sandbox journey RPs, I enjoy the freedom to explore the various regions in a new way and I think people underestimate the wide variety of plots you can create for yourself in such an RP.

I don't think I'm really drawn to any kind of RP in particular, I'm drawn to any RP that draws me in an the OP. Be it pokemon or otherwise, if it sounds like fun I'm in.

Years
    So, has anyone ever combined Journey style and PMD style? Like, a thread where you play as a Pokemon traveling the land to try and obtain badges or something?

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years

Much like gimmepie, I love me a good sandbox RP, mostly because I enjoy solo posting. I guess it might seem weird when the whole point of RPing in a place like this is the social aspect, but I really enjoy having so much creative freedom over my character's story; the way they develop, the important characters they meet, the challenges they face. At the same time, I like the way that at any moment this path can be influenced by the actions of any of the other characters or the changes in the world the GM decides to make, keeping things fresh and unpredictable to a certain degree. If that makes any sense. Also it's fun to read what everyone else comes up with, given the same freedom. It just so happens that more of the sandbox pokemon RPs I find are journeys as opposed to the more plot-driven ones.

Though I do still like intricate plots, too, but those are a tougher choice for me. If I'm going to get on your set of rails, I'd better be expecting a hell of a ride. Not sure if that made any sense either, but whatever.

Also like gimmepie, I don't think I really have a preference for any type of RP over any other. It's mostly about what draws my attention, what I have time for, and what sort of mood I'm in. Although thus far, I believe I've joined more "other" RPs than "pokemon".

So Tl;dr: What gimmepie said, pretty much.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years

For some reason, I feel like the only Pokemon RPs I genuinely enjoy are PMD roleplays, mainly because I love the series so much - therefore I usually tend to move to other genres. Although, I haven't participated in many Pokemon RPs to begin with, so maybe it's just inexperience.

Also, I had a question for you guys, it came to me when I was thinking of how I'd write my upcoming 5-year-old character from railways, Elliott.

How easy is it for you to come up with dialogue for your character? How do you usually write character dialogue? Do you prefer writing thoughts over speech?

I thought of this mainly because I know finding the right speech and vocabulary for Elliot is going to be a pain. Some characters, like the outlaw Sophia from Gunpowder, are really easy for me to write dialogue for since she basically speaks like most of us do in addition to a double serving of cursing and swearing. However, some characters like the sea goddess Nerites from Titans are a lot harder, since I have to adjust her speech pattern to one of a foreigner and refrain from using any contractions. (I'm, you're, it's, etc)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    So, has anyone ever combined Journey style and PMD style? Like, a thread where you play as a Pokemon traveling the land to try and obtain badges or something?
    I have a draft somewhere for a pokémon world where pokémon live and work in cities and in the wild (it's kind of two different ways of living your life and they oppose one another etc) and where there's a Pokémon League where pokémon go in teams of 3 or 4 or something like that to conquer gyms together. The teams that win 8 badges get to compete in the final tournament etc. One player would probably control a whole team, or maybe two players could share a team and play 2 pokémon each there. It could be optional how to go about that. I never got around to posting it since I didn't have time, but it would be fun wouldn't it? With an underlying plot of animosity between the citypokés and the wild pokés.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    I have a draft somewhere for a pokémon world where pokémon live and work in cities and in the wild (it's kind of two different ways of living your life and they oppose one another etc) and where there's a Pokémon League where pokémon go in teams of 3 or 4 or something like that to conquer gyms together. The teams that win 8 badges get to compete in the final tournament etc. One player would probably control a whole team, or maybe two players could share a team and play 2 pokémon each there. It could be optional how to go about that. I never got around to posting it since I didn't have time, but it would be fun wouldn't it? With an underlying plot of animosity between the citypokés and the wild pokés.
    You could have the Pokemon own humans. Role reversion haha! XD

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years

wow just having like a journey rp where you play as the pokémon with the trainer as your kind of npc sounds really interesting on its own

that's it I'm in let's do it

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    wow just having like a journey rp where you play as the pokémon with the trainer as your kind of npc sounds really interesting on its own

that's it I'm in let's do it
    That wouldn't be as fun, I think. I was thinking more of a PMD style world without humans.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back