• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • I know that you guys interact with each other from time to time, but for the most part - at least the role-plays I've read - interactions are primarily within the poster's characters, and the interaction with characters that other members created are much less seen.
    I see what you're saying, but I don't necessarily mind it that way. The way I've described roleplaying as is collaborative storytelling. It's not just one story being told, but rather, it's a story that is made up of the stories of the characters within it. These stories shift, change, mesh, and separate, but the biggest thing about it is that each individual story has a life of its own. It grows and wanders, but at the same time, is dependent on the larger, overall story to guide them into making choices.

But the thing about this is, these stories have several parts, they will always come in contact with other stories that will have to deal with this. And that's how I like it, really. I like making NPCs. I like having a character that monologues. I like developing my character away from others. It's not because I'm a loner, but it's because- apart from it being part of the fun- but developing my own story that fits into a much larger scheme filled with other developed stories that are created through similar (or opposite) means is pretty exciting.

I'd say I'm a pretty big offender of non-interaction posts but I basically think of it as one would an MMO. In fact, I think that would probably be the best way to describe it. You can play how you want, and you're not forced into playing one specific way. You can solo, join others, or do whatever is most convenient. But regardless of what you choose, you're never alone. You can't just go offline and play alone, because that would be your story. No, you're always going to come in contact with and be affected by others.

And that's basically my point. The way people play is the way that they want to have fun most. In my case, I have a lot of fun for the aforementioned reasons. I don't always do interaction posts because I don't really want to. At the same time, I'm not into RPing just because I like to write, and I don't think that writing short stories and the like count as substitutes. You go into roleplaying knowing that it's going to be a collaborative story, but you don't have control over the entire world, all you have control of is your character. How you want to play with them is up to you, and I have quite a bit of fun crafting characters and their respective, small, personal "worlds" to fit into the overarching plot.

My points may be disorganized and possibly even convoluted because of that, but all I'm saying is that I don't see anything wrong with having non-interaction posts in RPs, nor do I have a problem with how PC goes about them. Having said that, I'm not sure how many RPs you've looked at, because a good number (heck, I'd say the majority) of posts in the ICs are probably interactive or joint.

EDIT: Ech. Whelp, guess I was a little late on this.

I'm kinda new to the site, but I was wondering if anyone was up for a animesque music/band roleplay. I do hope this is the right spot for this or else I will feel stupid.
    Like K-On or Beck? I'd be interested in seeing how that would work out.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • I guess the major difference I've noticed between the two is that most of the role-players here interact primarily within their own world, I guess I should say. They're within the plot, but almost their entire post is dedicated to the characters they create.

I know that you guys interact with each other from time to time, but for the most part - at least the role-plays I've read - interactions are primarily within the poster's characters, and the interaction with characters that other members created are much less seen.

You're talking about such forums entirely dedicated to an RPG, like the ones listed on that RPG directory website, right? There, it's a forum for only 1 RPG on large scale. Here, it's a subforum consisting of multiple RPG by threads. That's really all there is.

Although, you could say that multiple RPGs here almost always have a GM/DM, whereas those large-scale RPG forums do not, but this is not usually the case, and this is probably where you think there is less interaction between players. There, it's self-regulated and players do what they want within the plot. Here, it's regulated by the GM/DM, so the focus is of course, more on the actions of your character - the response is written by the GM/DM.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Nick you noob :3.

GDeer! I've seen a few anime like that. Would players have band members as their characters and tour around? Sounds like it could be fun.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    It's my fault. I should have paid more attention to the poster's character listed at the top than I did. I probably would've picked up on the fact that that character's name is listed in other people's posts.

From an outsiders view who just reads your role-plays pretty casually (but frequently, and not your OOC thread), I guess I just overlooked the fact that characters were all in the same post by the same person so they came across as NPCs. Especially since I tended to neglect the poster's character name at the top of the post. I didn't know a character was someone else's or a NPC or what, since that's just the way I role-played in the past. I didn't include the action of another character, unless they were one that I created or a NPC that was free to use as a device for furthering individual plots.

I hope you understand what I mean.

You guys handle it differently than I was... taught. But you guys still interact with each other, which was really what I was getting at. And learning that makes me more inclined to actually participate.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    Heh, no worries. Different sites do it different ways. :P

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2015
    @Magic Yeah that or in a school or who even knows. I haven't really gotten that far right now I am just trying to see how many people are interested in an RP having something to do with music. Kinda new to the whole starting up a RP thing.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    It's my fault. I should have paid more attention to the poster's character listed at the top than I did. I probably would've picked up on the fact that that character's name is listed in other people's posts.

From an outsiders view who just reads your role-plays pretty casually (but frequently, and not your OOC thread), I guess I just overlooked the fact that characters were all in the same post by the same person so they came across as NPCs. Especially since I tended to neglect the poster's character name at the top of the post. I didn't know a character was someone else's or a NPC or what, since that's just the way I role-played in the past. I didn't include the action of another character, unless they were one that I created or a NPC that was free to use as a device for furthering individual plots.

I hope you understand what I mean.

You guys handle it differently than I was... taught. But you guys still interact with each other, which was really what I was getting at. And learning that makes me more inclined to actually participate.
    Don't even worry about it man! I used to not be able to understand how roleplays worked other than Pokémon ones, but now original roleplays is basically all I do.

I've been on your forum style roleplays as well, an academy one that I was a part of some years ago. It's a well-used system, that's for sure, but my only problem with it was for me, it limited interaction. Why? For a new person to just jump in and just roleplay, it was so hard to try and find someone if you were feeling a little out of place and afraid to ask someone to interact with you. You had to rely on someone to see your post and to interact with you. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

Here, I find it so much easier to roleplay with someone. You join the roleplay and everyone starts and you're given a birds eye view of where everyone is at. It's not awkward just to jump in because you can see where everybody is and work yourself into it.

I understand also in forum-based RPs that most people have multiple characters and multiple accounts associated with each character. In our thread based ones, most people have a singular character, so it's not always necessary to write at the start of each post which character you are.

Anyways man, if you want to jump in and start roleplaying with us, don't be shy. It's easy to learn on the go. You can also ask me, Magic or Adventure (and probably anyone else) for any tips on how to get started. I've always known PC's roleplay corner to be a really friendly one, probably the most welcoming I've ever been on. So don't be shy if you wanna join in the fun :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2023
    For anyone interested, I'm bringing back an RP called 'The Revelations.' It's pretty much a Pokemon roleplay that takes place in somewhat ancient times (Like, RPG/Fantasy-esque). So there's swords, bow and arrows and stuff (all that good stuff). I'm going to bring it back revamped!

@GDeer: Kind of a dumb question, but would the RP take place in school, or like you roleplay as a band and you go to concerts lol (I think there was anime like that?).

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • @GDeer: Kind of a dumb question, but would the RP take place in school, or like you roleplay as a band and you go to concerts lol (I think there was anime like that?).

Perhaps something like Angel Beats (which I have never watched but I know it was bands so hey)?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2015
    While Angel Beats did have a band in it it was mainly about escaping death or something like that. It was a while since I saw it. But I was thinking it would be in a school, and be centered around dumb situations that happen to this band/club. And of course there will be music and such along with the band performing.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I would love to see some kind of Angel Beats RP though 8) it was a beautiful anime, and a RP plot too could center around misunderstandings and people becoming enemies without knowing why etc.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2015
    Hmm Angel Beats has a really good premise the more I think about it. It could work but I would probably need to re watch some of it to get a good feel.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2015
    As much as I would lie to say I'm working on it as we speak, that would be a lie. Believe me im the last person you want setting this up.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    You make an Angel Beats RP.

I join it.

That's an order.

I think.

8D
    OKAY.

srs though I've played with the thought before. Maybe come September I'll have more time and be able to do it 8)

Until then... We lay our hope in the brave heart of TheGDeer. Possibly ;)

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2015
    Oh jezee now your putting the pressure on me. As much as I would like too start this up guys it just wouldn't be any good.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
  • I would offer to do it myself now that the idea's out there, but I've already got an RP in the works... sort of... when I get 'round to it...

Don't give up GDeer! Yoo can doo eet!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back