• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
  • How subtle are you guys with naming your characters? Could someone figure out the powers/personality of the character by looking at the name, or do you guys prefer to give them 'normal' names.

Most of the time I give my characters pretty ambiguous names. The only character I've played or have thought about playing so far that might give anything away about his powers is my new character for titans. Deuseas roughly translates to "God of Metal" so I mean, yeah. Most characters just have regular people names and I don't really see the point in just throwing your powers into your name like "Lightning Man". Imo it's boring and not very creative.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I tend to draw inspiration for names from my characters themselves so in a way, their powers/abilities if any would be weaved into the name. Take for example my Gunpowder character, Virginia Raine. Her surname is punning on the sense that her element is water. I chose Virginia as a subtle allusion to the poet Virginia Woolf who drowned herself - another image of water.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
    Years
  • I tend to draw inspiration for names from my characters themselves so in a way, their powers/abilities if any would be weaved into the name. Take for example my Gunpowder character, Virginia Raine. Her surname is punning on the sense that her element is water. I chose Virginia as a subtle allusion to the poet Virginia Woolf who drowned herself - another image of water.

I love the fact you used that poet as inspiration for the name... and the theme of the name in general is very nice. I always find it cooler when thought is put into selecting a name for a character!

On a side note, there might be a project coming up in the near future by myself and two other members. A PMD RP, set in a medieval style setting.

(Imagine the mystery dungeon World, but with castles and knights instead of guilds and explorers.)

I thought I'd mention it here since, you know, this is the place to discuss roleplays and the like. The idea isn't fully formed nor really close to it as I am posting this. But what would be the general reaction to this setting for an RP?

Winter

Years
  • I love the fact you used that poet as inspiration for the name... and the theme of the name in general is very nice. I always find it cooler when thought is put into selecting a name for a character!
    Why, thank you! I particularly like Virginia Raine because it's a name fusion of two of my favourite poets (Kathleen Raine and Virginia Woolf).

On a side note, there might be a project coming up in the near future by myself and two other members. A PMD RP, set in a medieval style setting.

(Imagine the mystery dungeon World, but with castles and knights instead of guilds and explorers.)

I thought I'd mention it here since, you know, this is the place to discuss roleplays and the like. The idea isn't fully formed nor really close to it as I am posting this. But what would be the general reaction to this setting for an RP?
    That sounds very interesting and I can't wait to see how you'll flesh it out. I have a soft spot for PMD RPs, especially if they're creative (and not like the cookie cutter roleplays that follow the boring games).

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023

i just wanted to ask, will this be a chapter-based RP or more of a sandbox? maybe similar to Pokémon Odyssey? just because i also have a PMD RP written out, and i was just wondering if they would overlap and if yes, to what degree ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ mine is a sandbox though, that follows the game canon with a guild and explorations and such. no castles and knights. so basically a 'cookie cutter RP' like the previous commenter mentioned i suppose, haha.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    i just wanted to ask, will this be a chapter-based RP or more of a sandbox? maybe similar to Pokémon Odyssey? just because i also have a PMD RP written out, and i was just wondering if they would overlap and if yes, to what degree ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ mine is a sandbox though, that follows the game canon with a guild and explorations and such. no castles and knights. so basically a 'cookie cutter RP' like the previous commenter mentioned i suppose, haha.

We haven't given it an awful much thought, haha. We know that there are different factions, and I think we would want to give the player some freedom, but there is certainly going to be overarching conflict in which the players must join.

Jay

Years
  • i just wanted to ask, will this be a chapter-based RP or more of a sandbox? maybe similar to Pokémon Odyssey? just because i also have a PMD RP written out, and i was just wondering if they would overlap and if yes, to what degree ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ mine is a sandbox though, that follows the game canon with a guild and explorations and such. no castles and knights. so basically a 'cookie cutter RP' like the previous commenter mentioned i suppose, haha.

Like Morally said, we're thinking that there's going to be three different warring factions to choose from in a larger world with an overarching story behind it all. It'll probably be a bit of a hybrid of both if I had to guess. Player driven story with some sandboxy aspects, but certainly not completely open and based off the games like yours. So it should be fine, I don't think they'll overlap all that much regardless. ^^

Hackenfall Backslash

The weirdest mofo you'll ever meet . . . seriously
    Years
  • Eh. I'll give this a go.

I'll keep it simple. I'm thinking of a sci-fi/fantasy war RP. It will be character and system-driven (as plot-driven isn't always fun). You will get to create your own character who leads a chunk of their faction's forces in battles. Yes, there will be a system in place to ensure that there isn't any GM bias and that everyone gets a fair shake.

So . . . takers?

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Eh. I'll give this a go.

I'll keep it simple. I'm thinking of a sci-fi/fantasy war RP. It will be character and system-driven (as plot-driven isn't always fun). You will get to create your own character who leads a chunk of their faction's forces in battles. Yes, there will be a system in place to ensure that there isn't any GM bias and that everyone gets a fair shake.

So . . . takers?

While I am interested in the genre of the RP, the fact that it will be character and system driven instead of plot driven does not interest me. I am more of a plot driven RP guy than a character and system driven.

Years
    • Age 22
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2015
    Thought that I would start a discussion question. Just out of curiosity.

How did you discover/start role playing? What do you like/dislike about roleplaying?

To answer my own question, I simply discovered it when I saw some title of an RP (can't remember which) while scrolling through the forums. Naturally, I clicked on it and was rather amazed. I figured I'd try it, where I realized how much fun it is!

I like that you can assume a new role of somebody, and try to become them. Almost like acting in a movie or play. You get to be that person.

I also like the creativity involved with it, along with being able to meet a lot of new people. I just like most things all around.

The only thing I don't like, is creating characters. It's really fun when you come up with a character that you think is really good, but at other times it can be a pain in the behind when you just have a blank canvas in your head.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • How did you discover/start role playing? What do you like/dislike about roleplaying?

UM UH UM NOT SURE. I was like eleven when I started roleplaying, lol. To be honest, I'm not all that sure when I even took an interest in writing . . . could've been when I started roleplaying, could have been earlier, or perhaps roleplaying was what piqued my interest? I haven't the faintest recollection. It just kind of happened, I guess.

I certainly haven't been the best at keeping up with roleplays (deadlines have always been my bane, and having others waiting for you to post is similar enough that it murders me, haha), but I absolutely love creating things and weaving stories. Roleplaying is a fun way to do that, and it also allows for deeper character development than writing a regular story, as oftentimes said development is the main focus of the roleplayer.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I only do it here on PC, in text forum. Never did it with pen & paper in a group or anything like that. Well, I have roleplayed on other forums too, but always in this novel-like written sense.

I had pc friends who roleplayed and it seemed like fun, and I already loved writing. So I gave it a whirl in 2010 and realized how much more I liked journey roleplaying compared to playing the actual games. So that was the shift :)

Winter

Years
  • How did you discover/start role playing? What do you like/dislike about roleplaying?
    When I joined PC. I was thirteen then. I'm not sure how I found out about it, but I think it was because I was drawn to the writing-related forums and I was probably thinking, "Hey this activity known as 'roleplaying' seems quite cool." And that's about it, really. Nothing too fanciful. I can still remember who gave me my first rejection slip *coughsadventurecoughs*.

I have nothing to dislike about an art form. If I disliked it, I wouldn't be doing it, would I? (Plus if you dislike roleplaying, it probably means you're bad at it lol.) What I like is being able to interact with other characters controlled by other people; it's essentially collaborating to write the same story and the fun and surprises in store are simply addictive. x3

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Addictive is a good way to put it xD when you really create an intriguing story together with others, that's when you just want to keep coming back for more. That's why I love Crossroads <3

Years
  • Thought that I would start a discussion question. Just out of curiosity.

How did you discover/start role playing? What do you like/dislike about roleplaying?

How did I start roleplaying? I visited the RPC on an impulse a little while after joining and read one of the active RPs. The next day my first RP was up and running and I haven't left since. Like Weiss said, I was addicted after day one.

There's not much I dislike about RPing, bar the unpleasant feeling of an RP failing. As for what I do like, I enjoy the interaction and the creativity. I love to create these worlds and to watch people experience them, and to experience themselves.

Jay

Years

Ahh, these are the big questions aren't they?

I've always written, I often jump from hobby to hobby because I've always been incredibly indecisive as to what I want to do with myself. XD But, I've always written. Since I first learned to write I'd always jot little notes and random silly stories down. Good times and bad come and go, but writing is always something that stays the same... while at the same time being a tool with the potential to change and reflect anything in that self same state.

I loved writing, but I never really felt like I could use it to interact with other people. It's hard to not be looked at as weird when you're making stories while the other kids are playing sports. ^^'' But it was also around this time that I started using the internet and when I started loving pokémon again. Eventually, I found my way here. I act like a scrub, but I was actually a member here a very long time ago and it was this place that introduced me to RP as a whole. To be honest I've, technically speaking, been a member of this site for longer than everyone on my friends list currently, bar two.

I vanished a long time ago for personal reasons and recently came back to start anew. I have RP'd in many other placessince then... and I feel that I have become a much better writer over time. But this place was always the most fun place for me to RP, so I came back. To put it bluntly, when I entered the RP corner here years ago that was when I discovered and first started RPing.

Why do I like RP? Well how could I not LOVE RP? It, to this day, is the only truly effective medium I've found to share what is my greatest passion in life with others. It allows multiple people to pour their hearts and minds into beings that exists within a story, when this effort combines and sustains itself based on dedication by multiple parties, then a wonderful experience is created. An intertwining tale of many characters weaved into one, fashioned by the hands of many creators.

In the intellectual sense, it is a gathering of people to create and populate an entire World of stories... and this happens with multiple people, in multiple places, all at the same time across multiple RPs. Writing is a means by which people can describe that which exists only in their minds, while also allowing us to present it in a way that can be read, understood and interpreted by others. Writing in its essence is the culmination and expression of human imagination in a way that allows it to perceived and incorporated into the imagination of others.

An RP? An RP is a means in which multiple minds can all input their own creations and imaginations into a single whole. To me that is something very worthwhile, perhaps even incredible, to some even awe-inspiring. Perhaps I think too deeply and perhaps these are all just silly little games we play. But it is the simplest and the silliest things we do that often contain the most meaning. That is something that you all should consider worth remembering. *Sagenod*

The only dislike I have is that feeling that dwells in oneself when, for whatever reason, these creations of many fail.

tl;dr

This site introduced me to RP a long time ago.

I love RP because it is an incredibly fulfilling and socially engaging activity! ^^

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024

I just saw it on PC and thought, why not?
    At first I thought it sounded kinda nerdy, but I gave it a chance and haven't looked back. I've gotten a lot of stick by those who I've told about it. I've always enjoyed writing with others; but I guess I've just never known how to do it before since none of my friends have ever been interested in the concept. It's kinda becoming an addiction. :3c ~_~

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back