• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HOME: Generational Gimmicks

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
Years
  • This thread is to discuss your favorite Generational Gimmick, ie: Mega Evolution, Primal Reversion, Dynamax, and Terratalization and/or any I missed and weather or not they/it will make a return.

My favorite by far is Primal Reversion and honestly I think that they could expand it to so many other pokemon. I mean the fossil pokemon are a obvious choice, but there are some pokedex entries eluding to ancient more powerful versions of pokemon. The ones that come to mind are Magikarp and Shelos. I think that they can so many things with this. Unfortunately I don't think that they will revive Primal Reversion. I believe that the pokemon company has a "forget the past and indulge in the new" which is a bit dissapointing.

Years
  • i will always and forever stand by mega evolution as the best generational gimmick that couldve kept going til now if gamefreak wasnt gamefreak. The new looks, upped stats, new types, new abilites, it was all so good imo. It was also a way to push lesser pokemon into use(wether this actually happened im not sure, looking at you beedrill). And it had a decent trade off as well in only being able to mega evolve once per battle. Do you have a team of multiple megas anyway? Specialize only one? A question worth asking as mega stones take up the held item slot which could be replaced with something more useful like a berry.

And just to say my thoughts on the others big 3:

Z-moves are actually the worse, just a single one off super move. Complete with super repetitive and annoying animation. They didnt even do anything interesting as far as pokemon exclusive Z-Moves go either. Easily my least favorite

Dynamaxing is. Its not personally offensive to me. It isnt necessarily bad or off looking. I know alot of people dont like it because it effectively throws alot of battle complexity out the door(plus gen 8 just getting rid of many moves). Just a weird one

Terastallizing is second best. It essentially allows any pokemon to have 3 types if you want for type trick ups. Or just stick with a tera type matching your own for boosted type attacks. A very good gimmick indeed, but it is kinda visually boring. Also is pretty expensive and time consuming to actually change your tera type too.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    Terastallization:
    -Any Pokémon can do it.
    -Not overpowered or too balance-breaking.
    -Not limited to specific battles.
    -Doesn't require holding an item.
    -You don't have to choose before the battle. Can Terastallize different Pokémon from your team depending on what you consider better against each opponent.
    -Can be used for different purposes: boosting already existing STAB, gaining a new STAB, or used defensively to resist upcoming attacks.
    -Makes you consider the pros and cons because changing types can sometimes end up turning against you.
    -Gives more opportunities to Pokémon with awful typings.

Gameplay-wise it's my favorite. I don't care if it's not aesthetically interesting, or if it doesn't allow Charizard and already overpowered legendaries/pseudo-legendaries getting new forms that don't really need, gameplay is more important to me.

Years
  • Dynamax/Gigantamax was the best one for me. It felt actually necessary during the fights that had it. Which is why Terastal and Z-moves are my least favorite; they feel completely unnecessary and you can play through the games just fine without ever using either.

Megas were pretty solid, but the majority of megas was given to the wrong pokemon. For example Legendary Pokemon such as Mewtwo really didn't need it.
    As for during a playthrough, it was possible to win against a Mega without using a Mega yourself, but more often than not you'd be better off using a Mega too.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • The Dynamax feature in Generation 8 was my favorite, even though I do consider it to be a little overpowered. I enjoyed it because it was strategic, actually felt necessary to win battles, and made certain Pokémon very good when doing it, with Seismitoad being the best example.

Days
    • He/Him/My Lordship
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    Mega's, Dynamax/Gigantamax and Terrestrialisation are great gimmicks and give you so many options.
    But I despise the Z-Moves. They're uninteresting and a lot of the Pokémon that got exclusive moves were stupid (like Pikachu. Really? Pikachu?! Give raichu some love, GameFreak!)

Back