• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Get 'em While They're HOT!!

Why no feedback?

• I don't really know how to use these in my game...

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Make tiles that are more useful for ALL games.

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
Years
  • This is my final thread for my public pokemon tilesets.

All tiles are made from scratch, and is for public use, just credit slimshady.

For any of the following, feel free to give me your honest criticism, and, if there's some tileset you've been looking for, but haven't found, and want me to take a crack at it, give me a quick PM and I'll do my best.

-My Work-

Kanto Region (Incomplete):

This is part of my project to make a more realistic and updated version of the Kanto Region. Although it's not necessarily a copy of the anime, the tiles will be more unique, bigger, and better. It's part of my upcoming re-make of Pokemon Yellow.

Pallet Town Custom Tiles (Incomplete):
    Spoiler:

Viridian City Custom Tiles (Complete 4/11/2011):
    Spoiler:

Pokemon Train Station (Suspended as of 4/6/2011):

The first, realistic Pokemon train station free for public use.

Spoiler:

*Regarding any tileset: Once the whole tileset is completed to my liking, I will finally add a screenshot of how to properly use the tilesets in your game.
    *Everything on this first post is free. Take it, but make sure to credit slimshady. However, all of my maps are off limits because the tilesets are compiled from other artists. So don't rip from them and credit me. Find your own tiles!
    *If my tilesets appeal to you, PM me and I can also do some SMALL tiling jobs for your game.

*For my maps, not all of the tiles are made by me!!​

Last edited:

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
  • Well, because of "popular" demand, here's my first try at a building:
    The Viridian City Ground Gym!

More to come as I continue to revamp and remap the entire kanto region!

and...
    Route 1 remade!

More to come as I continue to revamp and remap the entire kanto region!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Everything's decent, but the rock gym looks quite dull. I think you should add some extra tiles or designs showing that it's a rock gym. Possibly have rock pillars, crumbling rocks, something on the roof, etc.. :P

Rossay

Quack quack
    Years
  • A few things

(1) I really like your train station tiles.
    (2) Viridian Gym is a Ground-type gym && the building seems a little out of style.
    (3) Please don't mix and match tiles from different generations -- i.e. the DPPt trees with HGSS water and what looks like B/W Grass. Sticking to a single generation allows for more graphical consistency and a more authentic look imo.

My only remarks about the tiles would be that some of the colours and shading are a little dull and make them feel a little more like GEN3 tiles. Some brighter colours and more noticable colour changes in the shading would help them look a bit more modern (if it's a GEN4 GEN5 type of thing you're aiming for).

Keep it up :)

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
  • Everything's decent, but the rock gym looks quite dull. I think you should add some extra tiles or designs showing that it's a rock gym. Possibly have rock pillars, crumbling rocks, something on the roof, etc.. :P
    Sorry about that, I meant to say ground gym. Have any suggestions on how to make it look groundy? This is actually exactly how it looks in the anime, but I would love to add some decorations to liven it up.

Forgive me, but I thought it was Pewter City that had the Rock gym.
    Yup, you're right, and I fixed that.

A few things

(1) I really like your train station tiles.
    (2) Viridian Gym is a Ground-type gym && the building seems a little out of style.
    (3) Please don't mix and match tiles from different generations -- i.e. the DPPt trees with HGSS water and what looks like B/W Grass. Sticking to a single generation allows for more graphical consistency and a more authentic look imo.

My only remarks about the tiles would be that some of the colours and shading are a little dull and make them feel a little more like GEN3 tiles. Some brighter colours and more noticable colour changes in the shading would help them look a bit more modern (if it's a GEN4 GEN5 type of thing you're aiming for).

Keep it up :)
    1) Thanks!
    2) What do you mean by out of style? I'm assuming that it means it's not as modern and kind of plain?
    3) The mixing and matching isn't a big deal at all. I really don't care too much about the maps right now, I'm just making them to show how to use the tiles I make. So far, I'm still tiling Pallet Town, and Route 1 was easy, so I just threw that up here.
    And I definatly see how you could say the Gym is FR/LG style, but I'm not a fan of supersaturated tiles. I try to keep the colors dull, but I can try to brighten them up a little. I'm not too sure what you mean by shading, and, yea, D/P/Pt is what I'm aiming for.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Oh yes, sorry, I always meant to comment here xD
    Though you always just had the train station

The gym, you can maybe push the middle (door) outward towards us? see, a cool way to make anime tiles, is to not just tile it, but to put a spin to it.

The train station looks pretty cool, though it looks really flat, (I know its inside..)
    The signs are ok. and thats all really.
    Please make more ;)

Also I think the map looks just fine, as route 1 though.. unique. the styles togather look great. though d/p/pt trees dont match either that or I was never a fan :x

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
  • Oh yes, sorry, I always meant to comment here xD
    Though you always just had the train station

The gym, you can maybe push the middle (door) outward towards us? see, a cool way to make anime tiles, is to not just tile it, but to put a spin to it.

The train station looks pretty cool, though it looks really flat, (I know its inside..)
    The signs are ok. and thats all really.
    Please make more ;)

Also I think the map looks just fine, as route 1 though.. unique. the styles togather look great. though d/p/pt trees dont match either that or I was never a fan :x

Umm... Tile constraints stop me from pushing out the door, but I did edit the gym again and I think it's less bland.
    I'll finish the train station later because, ever since I started the Kanto revamp, I've really gotten into it. If I decided to do a train station, then I'll come back to them, but otherwise, I'll put them on hold for now.

Nice work! I really like the route 1 revamping!

Thanks for the feedback! :)

-UPDATE-

I tried to make the Viridian Gym look better, and this is what I've got so far:

The one on the left is the open one, and the gym on the right is the one you should see when you first enter Viridian City, and it's closed.

and...

I finally got decent progress on Pallet town, and here's the main attraction:
    Professor Oak's re-modeled Lab. I was in a good mood, so I've also made the door animations and a fence too! :)

*I still need to do the turbine, but otherwise, it's finished.

Last edited:

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
  • Man that they're awesome!
    Haha thanks. But feel free to critique as well when you comment, I don't mind.

-UPDATE-

Here's Pallet Town:
    Spoiler:

Say "hello" to SL1MSHADY's version of Pallet Town. It's not bigger just to make it more like the anime but because I wanted to make it practical.
    Like a town should, it has a few houses, a nice, spacey lab that's being remodeled, and a small area for pokemon battles in the town square.

Any suggestions on how to fill up the beach area? I feel like it's too empty.​

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Some of the dullness of the other tiles you use really contrasts badly with some of the more colorful palettes used in your tiles.

Just pointing that out. Tiles still look great.

Years
  • I think slightly softer, shaded outlines would really make your new work fit in. I think that's the only thing that's making it look odd. If you want an example, look at the house tile bottom-right. It uses a brown shade for its outline in most places on the roof where the colour is lighter.

Still, excellent work. I really like. :3

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    There is a tree hero on Pallet town. Behind the Lab there is a sign and above the sign a tree is missing his top left tile.

But i really like that pallet town : O

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
  • Some of the dullness of the other tiles you use really contrasts badly with some of the more colorful palettes used in your tiles.

Just pointing that out. Tiles still look great.

Yea, I noticed that, and I tried to keep my tiles away from kyledoves. I'm trying to style my art away from kyledove's and bring a happier, more brighter atmosphere to my art, and, once I get better, I'm going to go back and re-make all the houses to match, so that really isn't a problem.

I think slightly softer, shaded outlines would really make your new work fit in. I think that's the only thing that's making it look odd. If you want an example, look at the house tile bottom-right. It uses a brown shade for its outline in most places on the roof where the colour is lighter.

Still, excellent work. I really like. :3

Nice to hear from you again!
    Yup, I completely forgot about the lighter outlines, I meant to get to that.

There is a tree hero on Pallet town. Behind the Lab there is a sign and above the sign a tree is missing his top left tile.

But i really like that pallet town : O

Right, the final tile is in, but you can't see it because it's on the fourth layer.

Nice to see I'm getting such intense critique, though!

-EDIT-
    Now, intensely critique this, the turbine:

Last edited:
    Years
  • If it's meant to be a windmill, the blades need to be *much* wider. If it's meant to be a wind turbine for electricity, the base needs to be *much* thinner. Right now it looks like some weird hybrid with the proportions wrong.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    The line art on your tiles is quite good, though to be honest, I think you're struggling a little with your colours more than anything. the palettes are nice, but they're way to washed out, and don't really work well with the maps your putting them in. However I would recommend going with the same sort of colours used in HGSS styled tiles, whilst keeping them outlined. Or at least, go with DPP (kyledove used to use this style but has since moved on), since that's the sort of direction you're going in with your maps. But really, work on colour choices by looking at other tiles and seeing what they use, but you draw your tiles quite well, it's simply the colour choices and shading which could be improved. Your style is just ever so slightly off Pokémon style.

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
  • If it's meant to be a windmill, the blades need to be *much* wider. If it's meant to be a wind turbine for electricity, the base needs to be *much* thinner. Right now it looks like some weird hybrid with the proportions wrong.

Yup, I made it skinner. Everyone else does the fat one, so I decided to shake things up.

The line art on your tiles is quite good, though to be honest, I think you're struggling a little with your colours more than anything. the palettes are nice, but they're way to washed out, and don't really work well with the maps your putting them in. However I would recommend going with the same sort of colours used in HGSS styled tiles, whilst keeping them outlined. Or at least, go with DPP (kyledove used to use this style but has since moved on), since that's the sort of direction you're going in with your maps. But really, work on colour choices by looking at other tiles and seeing what they use, but you draw your tiles quite well, it's simply the colour choices and shading which could be improved. Your style is just ever so slightly off Pokémon style.

I want to develop my own building style. In a few days, I'll have finished the other houses, and the only things on the maps that aren't made by me will be the nature. Once I get the houses done, I think Pallet Town will flow much better.

-UPDATE-
    Since everyone is saying my style doesn't fit with Kyledove's, I've officially decided to re-tile all of the houses in Kanto, and I've started with Viridian City. You've already see the Gyms, but here's what else I've cooked up:

From left to right: Viridian Gym open, Viridian Gym closed, Coffee Shop (for the Old Man event; can you guess what my inspiration was?), Police Station (an event from the anime), Old Man's house.
    I need to do a custom Mart and Pokemon Center, and I'll be done!

P.S. I need help with my roofs!! As you can see, the police station and the coffee shop have very similar, bland roofs. Do you guys have any idea how to make them more interesting and have more variety?
    And remind me to do the door animations too please, or I'll forget, and your games will have immovable doors!

and...

I've made the windmill skinnier, which makes it an electric turbine, I think:

Last edited:

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
  • This is what I was talking about: https://apps.carleton.edu/reason_package/reason_4.0/www/images/60759.jpg

The other houses are looking great!
    Oh, okay, then I'll change it to the fat one asap.

-UPADTE-
    Viridian City Custom Tiles (Completed 4/11/2011):

From left to right: Viridian Gym open, Viridian Gym closed, Coffee Shop (for the Old Man event), Police Station (an event from the anime), Old Man's house, Pokemon Mart, Pokemon Center, and Apartment.
    Got the door animations done too.​

Back