• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Getting back into Pokemon TCG

Rakiyo

Pokemon Master
Years
  • Back when I was a kid I remember begging my mom for money to buy the base and then jungle booster packs that had recently hit the markets. Though I wasn't a competitive player or for that matter understood the rules of the pokemon tcg world I was enamored with the designs and creatures i'd come to love through the games. I ended up collecting about 500 or so cards having some pretty good rares like a Holo Raichu, Pidgeot, and Blastoise in my collection. Though when I entered Highschool i ended up throwing them away.

Now that I'm at the ripe age of 22 I find myself falling in love with the game once again but this time I actually want to compete in tournaments. So heres my questions for those who have competed in tournaments or at least played at a competitive level:

What made you guys fall in love with the game? Is there anything weary new or at least reentering players need to know about? How active is the pokemon tournaments/ and or scene?

Thanks for those who read and respond.

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
    Years
  • 22? Pft still a baby in comparison (I'm 23)

I recently just dug up some old cards, randomly. I loved the TCG because it was something new and everyone could do it. I also begged my Mother for the booster packs almost daily. Then finding a store that stocked a ton with a pick and mix for £1 (got my first beloved snorlax with that pick and mix)

I can't really say why i fell in love with it, I just did. I never actually, what most of you consider, 'played' the actual TCG. But in the tennis courts at school we had our own game which, had it's own stupid rules, generally reolving around 'Whoever had the highest attack won' LOL

Years
  • I have played since I was 7 On and off i I am now 12 so ya. I have loved TCG for Competive Play or just Collecting. The Video Game is also fun to throw in there now and then.TCG Art, Attacks, and the fun of the game is just fun and exciting and to get some crad cheap try your Local Flee Market as my Store doesnt know what they are selling they sell like 25$ Cards for only 4$! I am also glad to like TCG Online to play when I have played many people of the same and dont want to keep going to different states to face people.

Years
  • I actually never really lost interest in the cards or the card game. I just went through a period where I was far more into other things and would buy packs every once in a while.

Things to look out for: most of your old cards are not tournament legal. They're things to collect. Also, there's been quite a bit of what is called power creep (generic term that applies to all sorts of games) in the TCG of late, because of some super-powerful basic Pokemon dominating the last few formats at some point or another.

The activity of your tournament scene depends on your locale. More tournaments and leagues in your area is generally an indication of a pretty active scene (but not necessarily a competitive one).

Feralig8r

Adventurer
    Years
  • I love the way the TCG is layed out. In my opinion, pokemon has mastered the way sets cycle out. They never go out too fast, but they go out just often enough to keep the game interesting. I also love the strategy.

If you want to play competitively, you need to know the good trainers, the decks that people are winning with, and how you can alter the deck to work out any and all weaknesses of the deck. I'm currently tweaking a Zekky/Eel deck, using Zekky EX, a mewtwo, and thunderus, as well as cards like sage's training and level ball. The key in that deck is to get energy to the discard pile to dump it back on your benched guys with Eelektrik's dynamotor, but the problem is getting Eelektrik out in the first place. I would reccoment checking out Durant decks, Reshy/emboar decks, Raindance/Kyurem decks, or any other popular tourney decks to make your own.

Back