• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

girl's food poison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2010
    yesterday I having a food poison but in today.... in my stomach didn't remove it.... so is there a way a food poison for girl could get remove

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I lol'd at this report because its so true.

1. How does this relate to music, celebrities, sports, or movies? This most certainly does not belong here.
    2. There's nothing entertaining about food poisoning. :(
    3. Moving this to Other Chat, where Chibi will let the fate of this thread be tested.
    4. Chibi bites.

Zet

Years
  • I lol'd at this report because its so true.

1. How does this relate to music, celebrities, sports, or movies? This most certainly does not belong here.
    2. There's nothing entertaining about food poisoning. :(
    3. Moving this to Other Chat, where Chibi will let the fate of this thread be tested.
    4. Chibi bites.

Chibi will close it without a second thought.

And I should have said in our VM convo for you to seek medical attention

EpsilonE

Banned
    Years
  • I used to be a girl, and when I got food poisoning, it was literally the WORST experience of my life. I used to lay there on the floor in a comatose state heaving my guts out, my tounge lolling out of my mouth and my skin a pale white.
    I'm not kidding, it's so bad to be a girl and get food poisoning. When you are a girl and you get food poisoning, you should immediatly call 911 and have them take you to the Girl Food Poisoned emergency room.

All of you kids who play Pokemon and you use Toxic and Poison Powder on female gendered Pokemon, you are SICK and twisted people. Infact, you should disown the game so it wont cause the unstoppable habit of poisoning females.
    my GOD it's absolutely TERRIBLE being food poisoned as a girl. Now that I'm a guy, it barely has an affect on me because I flush it all out to my second pancreas, but god DANG food poisoning as a girl is awful.

Seriously, don't even joke about food poisoning a girl.

I'm so SERIOUS! it's awful being a girl and getting food poisoned because men are such sexist pigs who say cruel things like "Make dinner" and "wash my clothes" when I was a girl and food poisoned.
    You know what? DO YOU KNOW WHAT!? I'm gonna make a thread about the horribility of sexism of men when us wimin are food poisoned. I'm gonna dedicate my profile theme and all my biography contents to stop female food poisoning.

my GOD food poisoning is so BAD when you're a female. It just sits there in your gut and it just rots you from the inside out, often giving us the runs and making us feel ever so closer to death!
    and men are just sexist PIGS about it!

A long time ago I used to be so against dead baby jokes and down-syndrome jokes my boyfriends would make, but then I turned my hate to something new. Female Food Poisoning (FFP).
    Things like that made me angry, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING will EVER turn me off from the opposite sex as a joke about female food poisoning.

Wow, everyone just stop. Food poisoning in females is an ever increasing threat to society. It used to be painful child births without any pain killers or malnutrition, now it's just the death from food poisoning!!
    I hope everyone reading this has seriously changed their sick opinions over female food poisoning, because it's an ever so growing death fate in America, New York and California.

oh my freaking LORD food poisoning in a girl is terrible. Dude, it lasts for so long and it makes you soooo sick it's absolutely unbeleivable. I remember my 4 month old female cat died from food poisoning and the male cat who was 3 months old barely got sick at all from eating the same food. It's that strong in females body.

Holy CRAP girls food poisoning is, like, the worst thing a girl can ever get. My little sister Molly had food poisoning and she had to go to the hospital and they injected her and stuffed tubes up her nose and they had to operate on her... it was AWFUL.

Last edited:

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • I used to be a girl,

You were what? O_o ._.

You'll regurgitate, and your stomach hurts, due to the rapid chemical reactions. Plus the absorbed poison will go to the specific points of the body. If it's hemotoxin, it'll go to the blood. Neurotoxins is far to common, it'll go to your nerves and brain. Either way, it'll kill you slowly if not treated immediately.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    They see me postin' my LJ
    They trollin', they're tryin' to catch me ridin' furry
    tryin' to catch me ridin' furry, tryin' to catch me ridin' furry
    My music's pawed out, I'm scritchin'
    They hopin' that they gone catch me ridin' furry

All the fanboys think they can see me pounce
    I'm striped so it ain't easy to be found
    When you see me ride by they can hear the sound
    All my dawgs in my car, it look like a pound
    Ride with a new vixen and she know
    Next to the orange Nintendo Wiimote is a ball bat and a stack of C-notes
    Leave a furbasher six feet deep, yo
    Boy you ain't know, I'm crazy like Crazy Yote
    I ain't tryin' to poke and make Mom a granny
    Collar real tight so I pull in fannies
    All the burned furs, naw they can't stand me
    Music turned all the way up with the drum 'n bass
    Before you hatin on the fandom, better contemplate
    Cause you mess with us furs we gone run in your place and we be whippin' you with Pixy Stix, one to your face
    And one to your waist, the end is sawed
    Music real loud, we breakin' the law
    Strap at least twice, never hit it raw
    Pounce from behind and you will get clawed
    Windows up cause my phone is ringin'
    Scion switching lanes, whose lights are blinkin?
    This the CAFA click when we out and minglin'
    Know furries in every city except Brinkley, but I still ain't sinkin'

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • You guys are seriously filling this thread with spam, cut it out.

I really know I should it, seeing how it is a bit hypocritical, but I always get in this... trance when it comes to stuff like that.

Well, It the same with anyone, you throw up a lot. Best thing to do is get rest, and don't eat whatever made you seek in the first place. And be safe, don't over excert yourself. : ]

Bay

Years
  • Hm, not sure what is so different how a male and female gets food poison, as a few others mentioned. It's like saying a woman's cold is different from a man's. :< I should know since I had a male friend of mine caught a cold from me (unintentionally, of course) and we would have the same symptoms. D:

When I had food poison, I remember throwing up a lot, feeling dizzy, and getting a sore throat. However, I would drink a lot of water and get some rest to make myself feel better. Not so sure if there are serve cases of food poisoning, but I assume if the symptoms do get worst, then seek medical attention. Not a doctor, so...^^;

Either way, you should have ensured that that Magikarp was cooked thoroughly before eating it. Food poisoning is very srs bsns. -.-
    *ate the uncook Magikarp*

Ah oh. D:

Years
  • I hope this helps a bit gurl, that stuff is so sick like a person shooting you 5 gazillion times in the stomach and then you eat your stomach and eat your vomit and stuff and then you like poop until you can't anymore and then you die and then jebus brings you back to life and throws you around and give you food positioning then this guy is like "dude let me eat your stomach" and you like "Dude wth" and then pikachu come in there and shock you and junk and your like "AHHHHHHHHHHH, that totatly hurt pika" and pikachu like gets food posioning and eats your mom and then she gets it to and she takes her belt and hits you with it and then the belt gets the food posioning to and the belt is like "cu wth you gave me this for" and your like "Sorry baby" then the belt eats potato chips and then the potato chips gets the food stuff and that is like bad then someone eat the potato chips and turns into rapper and then the rapper like gets it to and you like rap with him "CUZ cooleo" that's the record name and then you die at the age of 21 but then you eat some magic stuff and you come back and you become a pop star and your famous for eating vomit and you like it and you like food poisoning yourself and then you get married to Lady gaga and then she gets it and like she turns into a dog and is like "ruff ruff" and then you get married to a dog and your like OMGZ I have to kiss it, so then you have kids and then they get food posioning and that is bad. The moral of this rambling post is to not eat taco bell because mexican peeps rub there buttock with the taco and you eat butt tacos and that's nasty. EWWWW, K, anyways....

Food poisoning is a common, usually mild, but sometimes deadly illness. Typical symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping, and diarrhea that occur suddenly (within 48 hours) after consuming a contaminated food or drink. Depending on the contaminant, fever and chills, bloody stools, dehydration, and nervous system damage may follow. These symptoms may affect one person or a group of people who ate the same thing (called an outbreak).

* The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that in the United States, food poisoning causes about 76 million illnesses, 325,000 hospitalizations, and up to 5,000 deaths each year. One of the most common bacterial forms of infection, the salmonellae organisms, account for $1 billion in medical costs and lost work time.

* Worldwide, diarrheal illnesses are among the leading causes of death. Travelers to developing countries often encounter food poisoning in the form of traveler's diarrhea or "Montezuma's revenge." Additionally, there are possible new global threats to the world's food supply through terrorist actions using food toxins as weapons.

More than 250 known diseases can be transmitted through food. The CDC estimates unknown or undiscovered agents cause 81% of all food-borne illnesses and related hospitalizations. Many cases of food poisoning are not reported because people suffer mild symptoms and recover quickly. Also, doctors do not test for a cause in every suspected case because it does not change the treatment or the outcome.

* The known causes of food poisoning can be divided into two categories: infectious agents and toxic agents.

o Infectious agents include viruses, bacteria, and parasites.

o Toxic agents include poisonous mushrooms, improperly prepared exotic foods (such as barracuda), or pesticides on fruits and vegetables.

* Food usually becomes contaminated from poor sanitation or preparation. Food handlers who do not wash their hands after using the bathroom or have infections themselves often cause contamination. Improperly packaged food stored at the wrong temperature also promotes contamination.

Symptoms of food poisoning depend on the type of contaminant and the amount eaten. The symptoms can develop rapidly, within 30 minutes, or slowly, worsening over days to weeks. Most of the common contaminants cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramping. Usually food poisoning is not serious, and the illness runs its course in 24-48 hours.

* Viruses account for most food poisoning cases where a specific contaminant is found.

o Noroviruses are a group of viruses that cause a mild illness (often termed "stomach flu") with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, and low-grade fever. These symptoms usually resolve in two to three days. It is the most common viral cause of adult food poisoning and is transmitted from water, shellfish, and vegetables contaminated by feces, as well as from person to person. Outbreaks are more common in densely populated areas such as nursing homes, schools and cruise ships (hence why the virus is also known as the "Cruise Ship Illness"). The term norovirus has been approved as the official name for this group of viruses. Several other names have been used for noroviruses, including Norwalk-like viruses, caliciviruses (because they belong to the virus family Caliciviridae), and small round structured viruses.

o Rotavirus: Causes moderate to severe illness with vomiting followed by watery diarrhea and fever. It is the most common cause of food poisoning in infants and children and is transmitted from person to person by fecal contamination of food and shared play areas.

o Hepatitis A: Causes mild illness with sudden onset of fever, loss of appetite, and feeling of tiredness followed by jaundice, which is a yellowing of the eyes and skin. It is transmitted from person to person by fecal contamination of food.

* Bacteria can cause food poisoning in two different ways. Some bacteria infect the intestines, causing inflammation and difficulty absorbing nutrients and water, leading to diarrhea. Other bacteria produce chemicals in foods (known as toxins) that are poisonous to the human digestive system. When eaten, these chemicals can lead to nausea and vomiting, kidney failure, and even death.

o Salmonellae: Salmonellae are bacteria that may cause food poisoning; the illness itself is often referred to as Salmonella or Salmonella infection. Salmonellae cause a moderate illness with nausea, vomiting, crampy diarrhea, and headache, which may come back a few weeks later as arthritis (joint pains). In people with impaired immune systems (such as people with kidney disease or HIV/AIDS or those receiving chemotherapy for cancer), Salmonellae can cause a life-threatening illness. The illness is transmitted by undercooked foods such as eggs, poultry, dairy products, and seafood.

o Campylobacter: Causes mild illness with fever, watery diarrhea, headache, and muscle aches. Campylobacter is the most commonly identified food-borne bacterial infection encountered in the world. It is transmitted by raw poultry, raw milk, and water contaminated by animal feces.

o Staphylococcus aureus: Causes moderate to severe illness with rapid onset of nausea, severe vomiting, dizziness, and abdominal cramping. These bacteria produce a toxin in foods such as cream-filled cakes and pies, salads (most at risk are potato, macaroni, egg, and tuna salads, for example) and dairy products. Contaminated salads at picnics are common if the food is not chilled properly.

o Bacillus cereus: Causes mild illness with rapid onset of vomiting, with or without diarrhea and abdominal cramping. It is associated with rice (mainly fried rice) and other starchy foods such as pasta or potatoes. It has been speculated that this bacteria may also be used as a potential terrorist weapon.

o Escherichia coli (E coli): Causes moderate to severe illness that begins as large amounts of watery diarrhea, which then turns into bloody diarrhea. There are many different types of this bacteria. The worst strain can cause kidney failure and death (about 3%-5% of all cases). It is transmitted by eating raw or undercooked hamburger, unpasteurized milk or juices, or contaminated well water. Outbreaks of food poisoning due to E. coli have also occurred following ingestion of contaminated produce.

o Shigella (traveler's diarrhea): Causes moderate to severe illness with fever, diarrhea containing blood or mucus or both, and the constant urge to have bowel movements. It is transmitted in water polluted with human wastes.

o Clostridium botulinum (botulism): Causes severe illness affecting the nervous system. Symptoms start as blurred vision. The person then develops problems talking and overall weakness. Symptoms then progress to breathing difficulty and the inability to move arms or legs. Infants and young children are particularly at risk. It is transmitted in foods such as home-packed canned goods, honey, sausages, and seafood.
    Because botulism can be released in the air, it is considered a potential biological weapon for terrorists.

o Vibrio cholerae: Causes mild to moderate illness with crampy diarrhea, headache, nausea, vomiting, and fever with chills. It strikes mostly in the warmer months of the year and is transmitted by infected, undercooked, or raw seafood.

* Parasites rarely cause food poisoning. When they do, they are usually swallowed in contaminated or untreated water and cause long-lasting but mild symptoms.

o Giardia (beaver fever): Causes mild illness with watery diarrhea often lasting one to two weeks. It is transmitted by drinking contaminated water, often from lakes or streams in cooler mountainous climates.
    The infection can also be spread from person to person by food or other items contaminated with feces from an infected person.

o Cryptosporidium: Causes moderate illness with large amounts of watery diarrhea lasting two to four days. May become a long-lasting problem in people with poor immune systems (such as people with kidney disease or HIV/AIDS or those on chemotherapy for cancer). It is transmitted by contaminated drinking water.

* Toxic agents are the least common cause of food poisoning. Illness is often an isolated episode caused by poor food preparation or selection (such as picking wild mushrooms).

o Mushroom toxins: Illness can range from mild to deadly depending on the type of mushroom eaten. Often there is nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Some types of mushrooms produce a nerve toxin, which causes sweating, shaking, hallucinations, and coma.

o Ciguatera poisoning: Caused by eating fish that contains toxins produced by a marine algae called Gambierdiscus toxicus. It can cause moderate to severe illness with numbness of the area around the mouth and lips that can spread to the arms and legs, nausea, vomiting, muscle pain and weakness, headache, dizziness, and rapid heartbeat. The toxin may cause sensory problems in which hot things feel cold and cold things feel hot. It is transmitted by eating certain large game fish from tropical waters-most specifically barracuda, grouper, snapper, and jacks. According to the CDC, ciguatera has no cure. Symptoms may disappear in days or weeks, but may persist for years.

o Scombroid: Causes mild to moderate illness with facial flushing, burning around the mouth and lips, peppery-taste sensations, a red rash on the upper body, dizziness, headache, and itchy skin. Severe symptoms may include blurry vision, respiratory distress, and swelling of the tongue and mouth. Symptoms typically last from four to six hours, and rarely more than one or two days. It is transmitted in seafood, mostly mahi-mahi and tuna, but can also be in Swiss cheese.

o Pesticides: Cause mild to severe illness with weakness, blurred vision, headache, cramps, diarrhea, increased production of saliva, and shaking of the arms and legs. Toxins are transmitted by eating unwashed fruits or vegetables contaminated with pesticides.

Contact your doctor if any of the following situations occur:

* Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea lasts for more than two days.

* The ill person is younger than three years.

* The abdominal symptoms are associated with a low-grade fever.

* Symptoms begin after recent foreign travel.

* Other family members or friends who ate the same thing are also sick.

* The ill person cannot keep any liquids down.

* The ill person does not improve within two days even though they are drinking large amounts of fluids.

* The ill person has a disease or illness that weakens their immune system (for example, HIV/AIDS, cancer and undergoing chemotherapy, kidney disease).

* The ill person cannot take their normal prescribed medications because of vomiting.

* The ill person has any nervous system symptoms such as slurred speech, muscle weakness, double vision, or difficulty swallowing.

Go to the nearest hospital's emergency department if any of the following situations occur:

* The ill person passes out or collapse, become dizzy, lightheaded, or have problems with vision.

* A fever higher than 101°F occurs with the abdominal symptoms.

* Sharp or cramping pains do not go away after 10-15 minutes.

* The ill person's stomach or abdomen swells.

* The skin and/or eyes turn yellow.

* The ill person is vomiting blood or having bloody bowel movements.

* The ill person stops urinating, have decreased urination, or have urine that is dark in color.

* The ill person develops problems with breathing, speaking, or swallowing.

* One or more joints swell or a rash breaks out on your skin.

* The ill person or caretaker considers the situation to be an emergency.

If the patient visits a doctor or a hospital emergency department because they think they may have food poisoning, a thorough examination will be performed, including measurements of blood pressure, pulse, breathing rate, and temperature. The doctor will perform a physical exam, which screens for outward signs and symptoms of the illness. They will assess how dehydrated the patient is and examine the abdominal area to make sure the illness is not serious.

* The doctor may need to do a ****** examination. The doctor performs this test by inserting a lubricated and gloved finger gently into the ******. The purpose is to make sure there are no breaks in the ****** wall. A sample of stool is taken and tested for blood and mucus. In some cases, a sample of stool or vomit can be sent to the laboratory for further testing to find out which toxin caused the illness. In a majority of cases, a specific cause is not found.

* A urine sample helps assess how dehydrated the patient is and may indicate possible kidney damage.

* Blood tests may be performed to determine the seriousness of the illness. An x-ray of the abdomen or a CT scan may be taken if the doctor suspects your symptoms may be caused by another illness.

The main treatment for food poisoning is putting fluids back in the body (rehydration) through an IV and by drinking. The patient may need to be admitted to the hospital. This depends on the severity of the dehydration, response to therapy, and ability to drink fluids without vomiting. Children, in particular, may need close observation.

* Anti-vomiting and diarrhea medications may be given.

* The doctor may also treat any fever to make the patient more comfortable.

* Antibiotics are rarely needed for food poisoning. In some cases, antibiotics worsen the condition. Only a few specific causes of food poisoning are improved by using these medications. The length of illness with traveler's diarrhea (shigellae) can be decreased with antibiotics, but this specific illness usually runs its course and improves without treatment.

* With mushroom poisoning or eating foods contaminated with pesticides, aggressive treatment may include pumping the stomach (lavage) or giving medications as antidotes. These poisonings are very serious and may require intensive care in the hospital.

After visiting your doctor or the emergency department, follow any specific instructions and take any medications prescribed exactly as directed. Continue to drink extra fluids until the diarrhea stops completely. You may need to miss one to two days of work or school to let your body recover. If any symptoms change or worsen, contact your doctor.

Safe steps in food handling, cooking, and storage are essential to avoiding food-borne illness. Bacteria cannot be seen, smelled, or tasted, which may be on any food.

Follow the CDC food safety guidelines to keep contaminants away.

* Safe shopping

o Buy cold foods last during your shopping trip. Get them home fast.

o Never choose torn or leaking packages.

o Do not buy foods past their "sell-by" or expiration dates.

o Keep raw meat and poultry separate from other foods.
    o

* Safe storage of foods

o Keep it safe; refrigerate.

o Unload perishable foods first and immediately refrigerate them. Place raw meat, poultry, or fish in the coldest section of your refrigerator.

o Check the temperature of your appliances. To slow bacterial growth, the refrigerator should be at 40°F, the freezer at 0°F.

o Cook or freeze fresh poultry, fish, ground meats, and variety meats within two days.
    o

* Safe food preparation

o Keep everything clean!

o Wash hands before and after handling raw meat and poultry.

o Sanitize cutting boards often in a solution of one teaspoon chlorine bleach in one quart of water.

o Do not cross-contaminate. Keep raw meat, poultry, fish, and their juices away from other food. After cutting raw meats, wash hands, cutting board, knife, and counter tops with hot, soapy water.

o Marinate meat and poultry in a covered dish in the refrigerator. Discard any uncooked/unused marinade.
    o

* Thawing food safely

o Refrigerator: Allows slow, safe thawing. Make sure thawing juices do not drip on other foods.

o Cold water: For faster thawing, place food in a leak-proof plastic bag and submerge in cold tap water.

o Microwave: Cook meat and poultry immediately after microwave thawing.
    o
    * Safe cooking

o Use a meat thermometer.

o Cook ground meats to 160°F; ground poultry to 165°F. Beef, veal, and lamb steaks, roasts and chops may be cooked to 145°F; all cuts of fresh pork, 160°F. Whole poultry should reach 180°F in the thigh; breasts 170°F.

o Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold.

o Never leave food out more than two hours (or more than one hour in temperatures above 90°F).

o Bacteria that cause food poisoning grow rapidly at room temperature.

o Use cooked leftovers within four days.

Some of the most severe food poisoning can result in long-term illness and death. However, most food poisoning is not serious. Most people begin feeling better within 24-48 hours. Queasiness or nausea and slight diarrhea may stay for one to two days longer.

If you observe some safety rules related to foods, kitchen and kitchen appliances, food poisoning will never occur.

Most food poisioning effects on body clears up in a few days on its own as their duration is not for very long period. In the case of continued illness seek medical advice. Children, elders, pregnant women and the persons who use antacids heavily are at more risk of getting food poisioning.

The following food poisoniong treatment or remedies are simple to follow and you can get quick relief.

Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in a cup of hot water before a meal to prevent acid indigestion.

Add three drops of garlic oil to half a cup of soya oil and rub onto the stomach after food.

Drink a herbal tea of mint, raspberry, camomile and blackberry.

Drink ¼ cup of charcoal powder mixed with a glass of water.

Drink one cup of ginger tea after meals to promote a good digestion and for hearetburn, nausea, etc.

Eat some bread, says Julian Whitaker, M.D., president of the Whitaker Wellness Center in Newport Beach, California. Bread has a tendency to soak up the poison and can give you a quick relief.

Drink 2 tablespoons of undiluted apple cider vinegar (pasteurized).

Time is generally the best remedy. If you feel indigestion, or get sour burp, and/or loose motions, or for general stomach upsets, you can do the following:

Drink mint essense (available as Pudin Hara or Amritdhara in India. These are mint or peppermint essense.), 3-4 drops in water, every one hour. Also drink Jaljeera (a mixture of cumin, salt, asafetida and other herbs) 2-3 times. Let the poison get out of your body through vomitting or motions. First you will throw poisonous foods and then water (Drink lots of water with sugar and salt). You should be alright in less than 24 hours. Start this treatment as soon as you start getting sour burps. You may drink mint essense (3-4 drops in water) after you eat in a restaurant or party or you have overeaten.

The authors of this web site have used this treatment for this type of food poisoning many times with 100% success rate.

In most cases, the effective treatment is to lie down and drink plenty of bland fluids such as water, diluted fruit juice or light tea.

Deep breathing, mediataion - relaxation technique can help relieve stomach cramp and calm the irritated bowel, reducing the frequency of bowel motions by lessening stress.

RECIPES
    Vegetarian Fat Free RecipesIndian Curry RecipesStuffed Vegetables RecipesWholegrain RecipesIndian DessertsIndian Snacks Recipe SaladsSoup RecipesPudding RecipesRice RecipesSandwich RecipesBurger RecipesIndian BreadsSouth Indian RecipesCorn Polenta Recipes Chutney & Pickle RecipesLow Calorie RecipesSpecial RecipesQuick Simple Recipes Low Fat Recipes

GENERAL
    Non-vegetarian foods in Vegetarian MealsFood SubstituteVegetarian TypesVegetarian DietADA Position on Vegetarian DietJain diet & recipesHindi names of VegetablesHindi names of FruitsHindi names Whole Grain Foods Hindi names of DairyHindi names of Spices Hindi names of NutsHindi to English GlossaryCalorie CounterIndian Food NutritionKitchen Tips & TricksSpices & HerbsWeights ConversionTemperature Conversion

FOODS & NUTRITION
    Junk FoodsFood PoisoningFood Glycemic IndexHealing Healthy FoodsAnti Aging FoodsFoods For High ProteinFoods For High Calcium Foods For High IronFoods For High PotassiumFoods For High FiberFoods For AntioxidantsHigh Cholesterol FoodsFood LabelsFruit & Vegetable JuicesNutrition Tips & FactsVitaminsAnti Aging SupplementsDiet Types

HEALTH & FITNESS
    Negative Calorie DietLower Cholesterol NaturallyCholesterolWeight LossDiabetesHome Remedies Beauty, Skin & Hair Recipes

Health Encyclopedia - Diseases and Conditions
    Healthy Recipes Diet tools Food Guide
    A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P R S T U V W Y
    Food Poisoning

Related Encyclopedia
    border=
    • Abdominoplasty
    • Acidophilus
    • Adhesions
    • Amebiasis
    More...

Related Healthscout Videos
    border=
    Burning Away Barrett's Esophagus
    The Safety Gap: Food Fight
    Recipe for a Healthy Holiday
    7 Diet Roadblocks
    More...

Related Animations
    border=
    • GERD
    • PPI Therapy
    More...

Related Drug Information
    border=
    • Aciphex
    • Nexium
    • Prevacid
    • Prilosec
    More...

Related News Articles
    border=
    • Health Tip: Track What You Eat
    • Health Tip: You Need Vitamin B12
    • Health Tip: Signs of Lactose Intolerance
    • Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Linked to Cancer
    More...

* Definition of Food Poisoning
    * Description of Food Poisoning
    * Causes and Risk Factors of Food Poisoning
    * Symptoms of Food Poisoning
    * Treatment of Food Poisoning
    * Questions To Ask Your Doctor About Food Poisoning

Definition of Food Poisoning
    Food poisoning is an acute syndrome with nausea, abdominal cramping, vomiting and/or diarrhea which appear suddenly and within 48 hours after ingestion of food contaminated with pathogenic bacteria, viruses or toxins produced by bacteria. Depending on the contaminant, other symptoms such as chills and fever, bloody stools, dehydration, and nervous system damage may follow and can lead to death

Description of Food Poisoning
    At least one out of five Americans suffer food poisoning each year, and over 9,000 deaths are reported as a result. Food poisoning stems not from food additives, chemical fertilizers, or pesticides applied to food by growers or processors, but from poor food storage or handling practices in home or restaurant kitchens that cause food to become contaminated.

Text Continues Below

clear pixel

Causes and Risk Factors of Food Poisoning
    The Centers for Disease Control estimates that unknown agents cause 81 percent of all food-borne illnesses and hospitalizations. There are more than 200 known diseases that can be transmitted through food, however, and the known causes of food poisoning include infective agents and toxic agents.

Infective agents include viruses, bacteria, and parasites. Toxic agents include poisonous mushrooms, improperly prepared exotic foods (such as barracuda), or pesticides on fruits and vegetables.

Food usually becomes contaminated with these agents from poor sanitation or preparation. Food handlers who do not wash their hands after using the bathroom or have infections themselves often cause contamination. Improperly packaged food stored at the wrong temperature also promotes contamination.

Three of the most important causes of food poisoning are the salmonella, clostridium botulinum and staphylococcal organisms.

Symptoms of Food Poisoning
    The most common symptoms of food poisoning include diarrhea, watery stools, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, and fever. Most food poisoning symptoms are mild, however, and can safely be treated at home.

Salmonella. Food poisoning caused by Salmonella bacteria gives victims flu-like symptoms for as long as a week.

Botulism. The first symptoms appear abruptly, usually 18 to 48 hours after the food was eaten. These symptoms include nausea, dry mouth, vomiting, abdominal pain and blurring of vision. The toxin has a paralyzing effect on the nervous system; it prevents the nerves from conducting messages from the brain. Control of the muscles is lost, beginning with those around the face and neck. Loss of the ability to swallow makes it impossible to eat. It leads to choking and may introduce foreign materials into the lungs. The victim usually dies within several days.

If medical aid is quickly obtained and the correct diagnosis rapidly made, death can be avoided. A serum may be injected which is sometimes able to neutralize a portion of the toxin and limit further paralysis. This serum cannot help the nerves that are already damaged. The speed with which symptoms appear depends largely on the amount of toxin-containing food that is eaten.

Staphylococcal food poisoning. This type of food poisoning is associated with abdominal cramps, fever, vomiting and diarrhea. It appears about 6 hours after eating food contaminated with an enterotoxin formed by the staph bacteria. Dairy products, pastries and fish are common foods harboring this organism.

Treatment of Food Poisoning
    The most common treatment for simple food poisoning is simply supportive care at home with clear liquids to stay hydrated, and after vomiting or diarrhea subside, the gradual return to eating beginning with a bland diet (such as rice, bread, potatoes and milk).

The doctor should be consultedalled if the person has nausea, vomiting or diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days, a fever, dizziness or unconsciousness, or if the symptoms are occurring after recent travel to foreign countries, or if people who ate the same thing are also ill. A visit to the hospital should be made if the person experiences vomiting blood, a swollen abdomen, problems breathing, swollen joints, yellow eyes or skin, or sharp abdominal pain that lasts more than 15 minutes.

Questions To Ask Your Doctor About Food Poisoning
    What are the usual symptoms of food poisoning?

Which symptoms are the most serious?

What kind of food poising is it?

What treatment do you recommend

Will a serum be needed?

What precautions do you recommend to prevent further attacks of food poisoning?

.Because most cases of acute gastroenteritis are self-limited, specific treatment is not necessary. Some studies have quantified that only 10% of cases require antibiotic therapy.

* The main objective is adequate rehydration and electrolyte supplementation. This can be achieved with either an oral rehydration solution (ORS) or intravenous solutions (eg, isotonic sodium chloride solution, lactated Ringer solution). Strict personal hygiene should be practiced during the illness.
    o Oral rehydration is achieved by administering clear liquids and sodium-containing and glucose-containing solutions. A simple ORS may be composed of 1 level teaspoon of salt and 4 heaping teaspoons of sugar added to 1 liter of water.
    o The use of ORS has reduced the mortality rate associated with cholera from higher than 50% to less than 1%.
    o ORS also is indicated in other dehydrating diarrheal diseases.
    o ORS promotes cotransport of glucose, sodium, and water across the gut epithelium, a mechanism unaffected in cholera.
    o The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends a solution containing 3.5 g of sodium chloride, 2.5 g of sodium bicarbonate, 1.5 g of potassium chloride, and 20 g of glucose per liter of water.
    * Intravenous solutions are indicated in patients who are severely dehydrated or who have intractable vomiting.
    * Absorbents (eg, Kaopectate, aluminum hydroxide) help patients have more control over the timing of defecation. However, they do not alter the course of the disease or reduce fluid loss.
    o An interval of at least 1-2 hours should elapse when using other medications with absorbents.
    o Antisecretory agents, such as bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol), may be useful. The dose is 30 mL every 30 minutes, not to exceed 8-10 doses.
    o Antiperistaltics (opiate derivatives) should not be used in patients with fever, systemic toxicity, or bloody diarrhea or in patients whose condition either shows no improvement or deteriorates.
    o Diphenoxylate with atropine (Lomotil) is available in tablets (2.5 mg of diphenoxylate) and liquid (2.5 mg of diphenoxylate/5 mL). The initial dose for adults is 2 tablets 4 times a day (ie, 20 mg/d). The dose is tapered as diarrhea improves.
    o Loperamide (Imodium) is available over the counter as 2-mg capsules and as a liquid (1 mg/5 mL). It increases the intestinal absorption of electrolytes and water and decreases intestinal motility and secretion. The dose in adults is 4 mg initially, followed by 2 mg after each diarrhea stool, not to exceed 16 mg in a 24-hour period.
    * If symptoms persist beyond 3-4 days, the specific etiology should be determined by performing stool cultures.
    * If symptoms persist and the pathogen is isolated, specific treatment should be initiated.
    * Empiric treatment should be initiated in patients with suspected traveler's diarrhea or dysenteric or systemic symptoms. Treatment with an agent that covers Shigella and Campylobacter organisms is reasonable in patients with diarrhea (>4 stools/d) for more than 3 days and with fever, abdominal pain, vomiting, headache, or myalgias. A 5-day course of a fluoroquinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin 500 mg PO bid, norfloxacin 400 mg PO bid) is the first-line therapy.
    * TMP/SMX (Bactrim DS 1 tab qd) is an alternative therapy, but resistant organisms are common in the tropics. Infection with either V cholerae or V parahaemolyticus can be treated either with a fluoroquinolone or with doxycycline (100 mg PO bid).
    * In the absence of dysentery, do not administer antibiotics until a microbiologic diagnosis is confirmed and E coli O157:H7 is ruled out.

Diet

During episodes of acute diarrhea, patients often develop an acquired disaccharidase deficiency due to washout of the brush-border enzymes. For this reason, avoiding milk, dairy products, and other lactose-containing foods is advisable.
    Medication

The goals of pharmacotherapy are to reduce morbidity and to prevent complications.
    Rehydration solutions

The main objective is adequate rehydration and electrolyte supplementation. This can be achieved with ORS or intravenous solutions (eg, isotonic sodium chloride solution, lactated Ringer solution).

Lactated Ringer solution with NS

Both fluids are essentially isotonic and have equivalent volume-restorative properties. While some differences exist between metabolic changes observed with administration of large quantities of either fluid, for practical purposes and in most situations, differences are clinically irrelevant. No demonstrable difference exists in hemodynamic effect, morbidity, or mortality between resuscitation using either NS or LR.

Food Poisoning
    Basics

Food poisoning is a gastrointestinal illness that results from ingesting food-borne microorganisms, their toxins, parasites, or chemicals. Every year, one in five Americans will suffer a bout of food poisoning—usually after eating something contaminated with bacteria such as an undercooked hamburger or a potato salad that has been sitting out all day at a picnic. Commonly referred to as "the stomach flu" or "the 24-hour bug," food poisoning typically strikes within hours or days of eating the offending food. It usually starts with a wave of nausea followed by vomiting and/or diarrhea. In healthy adults, most cases are mild—albeit unpleasant—and run their course within a day or two. But in children, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems, food poisoning can be dangerous. Although it is rare, food poisoning such as botulism can be fatal.
    Causes

Food poisoning is usually caused by any one of a number of bacteria. Viruses, parasites, and chemicals are other causes [Table 1]. Many types of bacteria that live in the intestines of humans and animals can cause illness when they get into the food that we eat. Meat and poultry are sometimes contaminated during slaughter. Organisms also may be transferred to food by anyone who has not washed their hands after coming into contact with human or animal feces.

Some bacterial organisms make toxins that damage intestinal cells and cause a loss of fluid that contains vital proteins, water, and electrolytes. Viruses and parasites can also attack the intestinal lining and wreak havoc when they enter your digestive system. Intestinal parasites like Giardia and Cryptosporidium are usually picked up by drinking contaminated water. Chemical toxins may be man-made (drugs—pharmaceutical or illegal) or occur naturally in plants or fish.
    Table 1. Common Bacteria That Cause Food Poisoning
    Bacteria Comments
    Campylobacter These bacteria are very common in poultry. It is believed that half of all raw chicken is contaminated with it. Other sources of infection include unpasteurized milk and contaminated water.
    Clostridium botulinum This bacterium is common in soil, and can lead to a deadly illness called botulism. Food-borne botulism is rare because the organism needs specific conditions in order to produce toxins; namely a temperature above 38° Fahrenheit and a lack of oxygen. Poorly canned vegetables and fruits are a potential source for this type of food poisoning, but modern canning methods have almost done away with the problem. Honey can be a source of infant botulism.
    E. coli These bacteria are the most common cause of traveler's diarrhea. Drinking water—even ice cubes floating in a drink—or eating peeled fruit while in a foreign country can lead to infection. Undercooked ground beef and unpasteurized milk are other havens for E. coli. There have been several recent nationwide E. coli outbreaks in which the culprit was a vegetable, rather than meat or water. An outbreak in 2006 affected more than 150 people and resulted in 3 deaths. Public health officials eventually traced the outbreak to raw spinach, but the ultimate source of contamination remains unknown. .
    Listeria monocytogenes This bacterium is usually picked up from soft cheeses, undercooked meats, and foods prepared in delicatessens.
    Salmonella These bacteria are commonly found in raw or undercooked meat, poultry, and raw eggs.
    Shigella These bacteria thrive in food that is left out for long periods.
    Staphylococcus These bacteria are usually picked up from mayonnaise-based salads (tuna salad, potato salad, egg salad) and cream-filled desserts.
    Vibrio Normal marine bacteria. Usually acquired by eating raw mollusks.

auses

Food poisoning can affect one person or it can occur as an outbreak in a group of people who all ate the same contaminated food.

Food poisoning tends to occur at picnics, school cafeterias, and large social functions. In these cases, food may be left out of the refrigerator too long or food preparation techniques may not be clean. Food poisoning often occurs from eating undercooked meats, dairy products, or food containing mayonnaise (like coleslaw or potato salad) that have sat out of the refrigerator too long.

Food poisoning can be caused by:

* Bacillus cereus
    * Botulism
    * Campylobacter
    * Cholera
    * E. coli enteritis
    * Fish poisoning
    * Listeria
    * Mushroom poisoning
    * Staphylococcus aureus
    * Salmonella
    * Shigella
    * Yersinia

Botulism is a very serious form of food poisoning that can be fatal. It can come from improper home canning.

Infants and elderly people have the greatest risk for food poisoning. You are also at higher risk if:

* You have a serious medical condition, such as kidney disease or diabetes
    * You have a weakened immune system
    * You travel outside of the U.S. to areas where there is more exposure to organisms that cause food poisoning

Pregnant and breastfeeding women have to be especially careful to avoid food poisoning.
    Symptoms

The symptoms from the most common types of food poisoning generally start within 2 - 6 hours of eating the food. That time may be longer (even a number of days) or shorter, depending on the cause of the food poisoning.

Possible symptoms include:

* Abdominal cramps
    * Diarrhea (may be bloody)
    * Fever and chills
    * Headache
    * Nausea and vomiting
    * Weakness (may be serious and lead to respiratory arrest, as in the case of botulism)

Exams and Tests

Your health care provider will examine you for signs of food poisoning, such as tenderness in the abdomen and dehydration. Your provider will also ask about foods you have eaten recently.

Tests to find the cause may be done on your:

* Blood
    * Leftover food
    * Stool
    * Vomit

Even if you have food poisoning, however, these tests may not be able to prove it.

In rare but possibly serious cases, your health care provider may order one or more of the following procedures:

* A thin, tube-like tool placed in the anus to look for the source of bleeding or infection (sigmoidoscopy)
    * A test to measure electric impulses in the muscles (electromyography) to check for botulism
    * A test of fluid from the spine (lumbar puncture) if you have signs of a nervous system disorder

Treatment

You will usually recover from the most common types of food poisoning within a couple of days. The goal is to make you feel better and avoid dehydration.

* Don't eat solid foods until the diarrhea has passed, and avoid dairy products, which can worsen diarrhea (due to a temporary state of lactose intolerance).
    * Drink any fluid (except milk or caffeinated beverages) to replace fluids lost by diarrhea and vomiting.
    * Give children an electrolyte sold in drugstores.

If you have diarrhea and are unable to drink fluids (for example, due to nausea or vomiting), you may need medical attention and intravenous fluids. This is especially true for young children.

If you take diuretics, you need to manage diarrhea carefully. Talk to your health care provider -- you may need to stop taking the diuretic while you have the diarrhea. NEVER stop or change medications without talking to your health care provider and getting specific instructions.

For the most common causes of food poisoning, your doctor would NOT prescribe antibiotics.

If you have eaten toxins from mushrooms or shellfish, you will need medical attention right away. The emergency room doctor will take steps to empty out your stomach and remove the toxin.
    Outlook (Prognosis)

Most people fully recover from the most common types of food poisoning within 12 - 48 hours. Serious complications can arise, however, from certain types of food poisoning.
    Possible Complications

Dehydration is the most common complication. This can occur from any of the causes of food poisoning.

Less common but much more serious complications include:

* Arthritis (Yersinia and Salmonella)
    * Bleeding disorders (E. coli and others)
    * Death (from mushrooms, certain fish poisonings, or botulism)
    * Kidney problems (Shigella, E. coli)
    * Nervous system disorders (Botulism, Campylobacter)
    * Pericarditis (Salmonella)
    * Respiratory distress, including the need for support on a breathing machine (botulism)

GOOGLE IS YOUR BFF :3

Last edited:

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • Are you SURE it's food poisoning? It could just be a stomach bug or something didn't agree with you.

Sorry I can't be more of a help. Only stomach bugs, not food poisoning...

Bay

Years
  • Are you SURE it's food poisoning? It could just be a stomach bug or something didn't agree with you.

Sorry I can't be more of a help. Only stomach bugs, not food poisoning...
    You mean upset stomach? Hm, if the original poster meant "stomach not removing it" as in she didn't throw up, most likely it could be just an upset stomach. If that's the case, then a simple upset stomach medicine should do it.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • You mean upset stomach? Hm, if the original poster meant "stomach not removing it" as in she didn't throw up, most likely it could be just an upset stomach. If that's the case, then a simple upset stomach medicine should do it.

Pepto-Bismol should do the trick.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back