• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Give me them Pokemon Nicknames.

Years
  • Some of the ones in my current party and youtube LP's

Bulbasaur - Abeline
    Zubat - Troll
    Vaporeon - Neptune
    Poliwrath - Azul
    Persain - Savannah
    Clefairy - Starlight
    Golem - Granite
    Pikachu - Tesla
    Alakazam - Magic Man
    Beedrill - YellowJack(et)
    Butterfree - Beauty
    Machamp - King
    Charizard - Ozymandias
    Nidorino - Tiny
    Charmander - Napalm
    Nidoqueen - Blues
    Growlithe - Loyal
    Jirachi - Andromeda
    Hitmonchan - Comet
    Pidgeotto - Cptn. Beaky

Just a few

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    0++0

Guess what Pokemon we have called this way. It is pronounced [ˈɔto] like Otto - no, this is no Samurott.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    Ah, this should be a fun post. I refuse to go without naming any of my Pokemon since gen 3 or so. I'll list off all the noteworthy ones here.

I named a lot of my Pokemon after Lady Gaga songs for whatever reason.

Mantine - "LoveGame"
    Ninetales - "Venus"
    another Mantine - "The Fame"
    Lanturn (4th Gen) - "Fame Monster" (The literal 'Fame Monster' was a giant anglerfish, so that one was kinda clever)
    Lanturn (6th Gen) - "G.U.Y."
    Tentacruel - "Bad Romance"
    Delcatty - "Summerboy"
    Banette - "BornThisWay"
    Sylveon - "ARTPOP"
    Sandslash - "Brown Eyes"

I also named my starter Delphox "Jo Calderone" due to his androgynous nature.

Then I started this theme of naming my Pokemon after rappers, which stemmed from a Typhlosion I named "Lil' Flip" on my Gold when I was 8.

Typhlosion - "Lil' Flip"
    Togekiss - "50 Cent"
    Meowstic - "Hopsin"
    Primeape - "O.D.B."
    Charizard - "Z-Ro"
    Gogoat - "Gunplay Goat"
    Clawitzer - "BushwickBill"
    Kyurem-W - "Ice Cube"
    Xerneas - "Xzibit"

The rest are just references to random things such as game or show characters and such, or completely original ideas:

Espeon - "Indigo"
    Sandslash - "Diggz" (came from a naming poll my friend held on YouTube in 2009)
    Weavile - "Fontaine" (after the BioShock antagonist)
    Venomoth - "Box Chevy" (after TPP's ATV and a Rick Ross song)
    Banette - "Raziel" (from Legacy of Kain)
    Noivern - "Turel" (from Legacy of Kain)
    Flareon - Sarge (from RvB)
    Mewtwo - "Lean Cat"
    Gastrodon - "Gas Pedal"
    Arcanine - "Yamcha"
    Excadrill - "Bottles" (from Banjo-Kazooie)
    Houndoom - "DeathScythe"
    Noctowl - "Kaepora"

That's all I can remember for now. Hope you liked some of them.

Melty~

Deku Princess(?)
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I once named a Wynaut "Coz I. Sedso" (Why not? 'Cause I said so!).

I also named a Nosepass "Pikkanoze" (pick a nose) because of its huge nose.

On a more serious note, I named my male Ninetales "Naruto".

Years
  • When it comes to nicknaming my Pokemon, it's usually entirely random and on the spot. I've done a few themed runs, but other than that, it's whatever I think of when the nickname screen comes on, haha. Most recently, I nicknamed my Fennekin Portia, and my Skrelp, Carlos. I do like to create personas with my nicknames; it brings them to life a little more.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I nicknamed my Ninetales after my friend, cos Vulpix just happens to be her favourite Pokemon. :p If not after someone, then I name my Ninetails either Ran Yakumo (after the Touhou character), or Kyuubi. That last one's rather obvious.

While these aren't limited to actual Pokemon games, I nicknamed my Rotom Wash Forme "Mr. Sparkle". I just thought the Simpsons reference would make people smile a bit.

I decided to nickname my Diggersby in a competitive battling sim "THO?", because of that silly shofu video. :/

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • I'll just give the names of my current Y Nuzlocke team for now.

Narcepces The Crobat
    Drudge the Goodra
    Qween the Slowking
    Quiller the Pidgeot
    Ysgronn the Yveltal
    Syclemor the Trevenant

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • -I've named my Aegislash Aidith (because SHE aids me in battle).
    -My Blastoise was named Poseidon.
    -I once named my Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres FREEZE, SPARK, AND BURN.
    -I named my Alomomola ⋆Alomomola⋆ (The reason behind the stars is because my Alomomola was shiny).
    -I've named Manaphy AQUA MAN and Phione AQUA BOY
    -Venusaur was Leaf Green
    -My Alakazam is Psy-mon (I think I should've nicknamed in Psi-mon)
    -My Samurott is named Oshii (I have no idea why)
    -Arcanine is RK9
    -My Infernape is Goukazaru
    -Ho-Oh is Oh-Ho
    -Lugia is XD001 (even though it's not from XD: Gale of Darkness)
    -Groudon is named RUBY
    -For some odd reason, I have a Latios named LATIAS
    -Dialga and Palkia are Diamond and Pearl
    -Vileplume is Oddium (since Oddish's scientific name is Oddium Wanderus)
    -Charizard is Feuer
    -Fearow is AIRE
    -Hypno is DEMRA (An anagram of Dream, and I wanted it to seem like a female name)
    -Lapras is also Poseidon
    -Dragonite is DRAGO
    -Dugtrio is JA JE JI (Short for Janine, Jennifer, and Jill)
    -Hitmonlee is LEE (Does this one even need an explanation?)
    -Every Zigzagoon I use have always been and always will be nicknamed HM SLAVE

That's all I have right now, even though I have given way more nicknames

Last edited:
    Years
  • All my Pokemon tend to be nicknamed after fandom characters, even if they don't necessarily match the Pokemon I name them after; they're given names I like a lot. (for example, Alice is my favorite female name, and I gave it to my Delphox because Fennekin's one of my favorite starters); or they're named after RP characters, be them mine or a friend's. In addition, I may name Pokemon after either irl or online friends; usually those Pokemon are one of their faves. I sometimes give the legendary trios related nicknames, too--for instance, the members of the Guardian Trio were named Rumia (Uxie), Cirno (Azelf), and Mystia (Mesprit), a.k.a. three of the nineballs in Touhou. Oh, and I usually name at least one HM Slave "Slave". Creative, amirite? 8D

Some examples of nicknamed Pokemon:

My Y Team:
    Alice (Delphox) - Nicknamed that because I like the name.
    Forte (Aegislash) - Forte is a knight in Rune Factory 4 who uses a long sword.
    Freyr (Aurorus) - I like the name XD
    Alexander (Sylveon) - Named after a friend's RP character.
    Rogue (Malamar) - Sort of named after Rogue Cheney from Fairy Tail, but also because I like the name and it fits it.
    Bridget (Dragalge) - Named after one of my RP characters.

Years
  • Some of the ones I've used are:

Sceptile - Gex (after Gex 64 on Nintendo)
    Ninetales - Firefox
    Vaporeon - Fisherfox
    Umbreon - Padfoot (cause of Harry Potter lol)
    Swellow - Woody
    Manectric - Anubis
    Venomoth - Venom
    Fearow - Spock
    Haunter - Giggles
    Moltres - Fawkes
    Xerneas - Prince
    Leafeon - Lil Leaf
    Metapod - Mightypod (I'm pretty proud of that one lol) xD
    Tyrantrum - Tyrant
    Charizard - Smokey (after the dragon in Diddy Kong Racing)
    Seaking - King Koi
    Nidoqueen - Big Mama
    Gastrodon - Slugworth
    Kadabra - Psy (cause it's psychic but also cause I'm a K-Pop fan lol)
    Rhyhorn - Ryback (after the wrestler)
    Dewgong - Aurora
    Scyther - Scythes
    Magmar - Shackles
    Gyarados - Hydra
    Honchkrow - Mobster
    Clefable - Yuxie
    Raikou - Khan
    Kricketune - Beethoven
    Chatot - Warbler
    Ducklett - Louie (after Disney's Huey, Dewey and Louie lol)
    Dedenne - Chubbs
    Malamar - Ursula
    Druddigon - Dudley
    Heliolisk - Salem
    Furfrou - Frou Frou

I'll leave it there lol, as you can see there's not always rhyme or reason to my nicknaming lol xD

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
  • Three stories on names.
    1. the rule of p
    When I can't think of a name, I come up with any name that starts with the same letter of the Pokémon (that's why my Pansage is named Peter). Anyway, I needed a good name for Pansear. He already had Pan in his name, and he's a fire-type, so I named him Panfry.
    2. Very tired
    I couldn't think of anything to name a Snorlax. I thought, "Snorlax like to sleep," so I started typing zs into the game. Then I thought, "that's stupid," and tried to get rid of it. But, I accidentally presses enter, and I have a Snorlax named Zzzzzzz.
    3. Retro games
    I named my Froakie Frogger cause, you know, it's a frog. Then, when I got my Charmander, I decided to go with a theme of retro video games, and I named it Galaxian. Now I have a Charizard named Galaxian and it. is. freaking. amazing!

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • Before I start the game I'll usually decide if they're gonna be named after an overarching theme. Most of the time they aren't though and I'll just give em names that sound nice/fit the species *shrug* Here's some from a few challenge runs I did:

Black2 - Dead Presidents/British Prime Minster theme

Lucario (Theodore)
    Cradily (Churchill)
    Golurk (Lincoln)
    Skarmory (Reagan)

Platinum

Nate the Torterra - based off Turtwig's Japanese name Naetle. Nate's a cool name. Nate's are cool people

Famfrit the Vaporeon - FF12's Water Esper. His finishing move involves pouring a huge vase of water on you and causing a tidal wave. I imagine spamming Choice Specs surf felt the same

Kimberly the Frosslass - Someone I know haha

Luquier the Crobat - Based off the leader of a Cardfight Vanguard Clan called the Pale Moon Circus. Not only do you have the vague reference to vampires there, but acrobats tend to be agile and swift like 130 base speed swift!

Heart Gold

Silas the Gengar - "gee lets put in good gothic names into google and see what comes up...hey Silas sounds alright lets go with that"

Ezio the Scyther - Assasin's Creed II's main hero who uses a fair few swords and blades to chop people's heads off

Janna the Furret - a cute sheep thought I couldn't beat Red with a furret so I set out to prove her wrong ;) She has beaten more gym leaders by herself than the rest of the above mons combined!

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
    Years
  • I name my Pokémon quite frequently. Most of the times I just use the word that comes up quickly, like Robin the Talonflame and Denne the Jolteon (some YouTuber used a Jolteon named Den, by the way - I found that out later).

On Earthburst the Golem, I played around with some impressive words. I wanted it to be in the same style as Seabubble the Blastoise, which I thought of earlier.

On the moment, I am looking for a Latin-based name for my Shiny Umbreon. What I have now is "Regina Noctis" (Queen of the Night), but that is too long and I doubt if it's actually a good idea to do Latin and not just something spontaneous.

Years
  • I rarely nicknamed but here's what I have so far:

Flygon: Laila (named after retired pro boxer Laila Ali. For those unaware, she the daughter of Muhammad Ali)

Espeon: Kitana (named after Mortal Kombat character Kitana)

Dragonite: Priscilla (named due to gender)

Glaceon: Lily (named due to gender)

Garchomp: Champ (named due to IVs and modeled after Muhammad Ali)

Blakizen: Sensei & Scarlet (a.k.a. The Blaziken Twins. Named due to IVs and moveset.)

Umbreon: Lil' Lady (named due to her ability to tank hits.)

Jaegir

Yes
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2015
    I name my Pokemon after musicians, bands, and songs. If I can't think of anything else I name them after elements.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I name my Pokemon based on random words I invent that may be based on whatever happens to be going on through my mind, something that is actually related to the Pokemon in a meaningful way, random actual names that I really like, or random characters from video games. (who may or may not have their names also warped 'cause I don't like ripping stuff off)

Some notable ones of memory:

• Arkra the Braixen - Arkra is a word that means basically "anything having to do with Arylett" and also is what I visualize as a releasing of my full potential. I gave the name to a Braixen because it is my favorite Pokemon and the one I represent myself as.
    • Nixebreis the Ho-Oh - This is a mixture of many words, one of which is "Breis" that is the Air element in my own personal story.
    • Giannol the Lugia
    • Aunna the Volcarona - Aunna is a sun goddess in the mythology of my world.
    • Neska the Swoobat - Neska means "feeling" in my world's language.
    • Rinne the Serperior - Rinne is a variation of "Rinoa." I have a small theme of naming my starters partially after Final Fantasy characters.
    • Yun the Infernape - Based on Yuna of FFX.
    • Vuovien the Reshiram - The dragon/Guardian of the element of Nothing in my story. It is a white dragon, appropriate for Reshiram.
    • Warska the Lapras
    • Vesta the Fletchling
    • Blitzbol the Wailord - Based on Blitzball from FFX (a sport played underwater), except in Spanish maybe.
    • Joshua the Sceptile - Named after one of my sister's ex-boyfriends. (Who was her boyfriend at the time)
    • Naxalge the Zoroark - Naxalge would be my nobody if I were in Kingdom Hearts. Often, I use the name for a dark alterego of myself in general. As I think of myself as a fox, a dark fox is appropriate to bare the name.
    • Novale the Arcanine - Due to the fact that he was caught in a Dusk Ball. "Nos" is something that means "darkness" in that aforementioned language. And "vale" is just a word for blade or warrior.
    • Vale the Lucario
    • Quirni the Arcanine

As you can see, I also really like the letter "a." If I make up a name from the top of my head, chances are it will have "a" in it. And maybe "e" as well.

Another thing to note is that I am VERY obsessive about nicknames. I will not train a Pokemon unless it has a nickname because it feels so awkward to just call something by its species name. (It'd be like if you called me "Human" all the time) So if you traded me something without a nickname, I'll breed it and nickname that instead. It's a shame you can't nickname traded Pokemon. I really would love it if you could.

Last edited:

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I nickname pokemon if I can think of something amusing; for instance, I nicknamed my Mawile "Mawile Cyrus" in my copy of X.

The classic "Oh crap he/she/it" never fails to make me laugh.

lozzop

Monkey slut!
    Years
  • I've come up with some pretty cool nicknames, it's one of my favourite things about the game for me, it makes it more personal. In fact one of the reasons I'm excited for the Hoenn remakes is simply because I'm desperate to nickname a mudkip Jelly, wouldn't it just be such a good name? Some of my favourites are a jumpluff I named 'Bouffee' (french for puff) and also I named my first pokemon (infernape) Sylvester, which I thought was pretty cute :D

Cosmic Fury

[color=red][I][css-div="font-size: 12px; font-vari
    Years
  • I try to nickname my own favorite Pokemon as much as I possibly can. Mostly, I try to come up with something symbolic for them. Here are a few examples:

Battlestar the Latios -- I named one of these that I caught after a forum friend of mine. Not only that, but I felt the name was truly deserved, mainly because of the way I use this guy.

Royal Pain the Latios -- my first legendary. This guy took me three weeks to catch. OH MY GOD...

Migraine the Whimsicott -- Truly self-explanatory. I always envisioned this thing as the perfect troll, and I got my wish more than once.

There are plenty of others that I'll edit in later, if I find the time. Overall though, I love nicknaming my Pokemon -- it gives them a certain feel that they'd not possess otherwise.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Uuhm I'll give you some of my X&Y team's names off of memory.

Tea the Greninja ♀ - This lil lady stayed a Froakie my entire journey until we challenged the Elite Four. By the time we were facing the third of the Elite Four, she was a Greninja. Something just told me to evolve her for some reason. (Kinda wish I had kept her a Froakie though. So cute.)

Crème the Helioptile ♀ - She was unevolved my entire journey to the very end, and still remains an adorable Heliobby to this day. My proudest moment with Crème was when she faced off with her own evolution during the battle with Clemont. Completely wiped the floor with him like the boss she is. Who says evolved Pokemon are better? ;]

Gummybear the Goodra ♂ - I.. honestly have no idea why I named him that. Probably because Goodra's all big and looks really squishy? XD;
    Had him since he was a tiny Goomy. ;v;

Chamomile the Meowstic ♀ - Caught her as an Espurr. She became quite the insane powerhouse later in the game.

I know I had a male Meowstic that I caught nearly right after I caught the female but I can't remember his name, honestly. He was amazingly powerful too.

Those are the only team members I had throughout the whole game. Never got a sixth. <v<;

Back