• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gliscor, I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish...

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
Years
  • 235.png

But Smeargle is one of the best Baton Passers of all time! Of all time!

Opening Notes: Okay, now that we've gotten that out of the way, how is everyone doing this evening? Good, I hope. Well, let me make this very clear before I go indepth with this team. I do not like Baton Pass. It is a attack that can easily screw you over at the wrong time, or it can be the savior that you need in an emergency. So far, Baton Pass has been the latter for me.​

Team Creation Process: Well, I was browsing various forums on competitive battling when I came across a post that caught my interest. The post read "Dual Screen Azelf is on the rise concerning usage". I found that interesting since throughout my entire time on Shoddy, which is quite a bit if I do say so myself, I had never once seen a Dual Screen Azelf. So, I decided that the next team I made would feature it as a Lead. Now I've got one Pokemon decided.​

Current Team:
    482.png

Team Creation Process: Now, since I'm using Dual Screens, it would behoove me to use a Pokemon that can set up easily, but still be a bit unpredictable. I decided to use a Baton Passer in this slot, so I started running down the list of Pokemon that could use Baton Pass, crossing out the Pokemon that wouldn't work on my type of team. I was looking for both Bulk and Speed, so that alone eliminated a large bit of the list. I eventually narrowed it down to either Zapdos or Gliscor. Zapdos lost for the fact that it can, at the very most, pass only Speed. It has the potential to pass Special Attack boosts with the aid of Charge Beam, but Charge Beam is such a weak move by itself, so I decided to go with Gliscor for its ability to pass Attack and Speed, Bulk, and typing.​

Current Team:
    482.png
    472.png

Team Creation Process: Okay, not that I've got a Passer, I need a reciprient for those boosts. Now, what could put both Attack and Speed boosts to good use, and have amazing coverage? The answer was simple: Lucario. Lucario has great attacking status from both side of the spectrum, and its only real weakness is its lack of Speed, unless you decide to give him a Choice Scarf. So, Lucario was the newest addition to the team.​

Current Team:
    482.png
    472.png
    448.png

Team Creation Process: Now I've got a slight problem. Gliscor is weak to Ice attacks, while Lucario is weak to Fire, two of the main types of attack in the OverUsed tier. I need a Pokemon that can resist both types, have plenty of Bulk, and, hopefully, put any Attack or Speed passes to good use. Scrolling down the list of OverUsed Pokemon, I happened to see Snorlax, which has gone down in usage lately. With its ability, Thick Fat, and its massive HP and Special Defense stats, its like a wrecking machine. Give him a Swords Dance and the only thing killing him is his terrible Speed, which is somewhat remedied by Rock Polish.​

Current Team:
    482.png
    472.png
    448.png
    143.png

Team Creation Process: Another problem just arrived. I have a weakness to Fighting type attacks. Now normally, Gliscor would be able to take Fighting attacks like a pro, but Gliscor is only supposed to show up once or twice during the match, set up, and pass. No more, no less. Now I need a Pokemon to absorb Fighting attacks, so the obvious choice would have to be a Ghost type. This would cause a weakness confliction with both Azelf and the chosen Ghost, but Azelf usually doesn't live that long anyway, so it's not a problem. What was a problem, and still is, is choosing the Ghost type to use. I had to major choices, both of which are good: Choice Scarf Gengar or Choice Scarf Rotom-H. Now Gengar has a higher base Speed and Special Attack at its disposal, but it really lacks HP, which can hurt it with the constant switching it will have to do. Rotom-H has pretty decent base HP stat, and its Special Attack is nothing to scoff at. The only thing is its Speed, which isn't the greatest in the world. I chose to go with Rotom-H for the bulk that it carries, but if anyone can give me a decent reason as to why I should switch to a Choice Scarf Gengar instead, I might be swayed.​

Current Team:
    482.png
    472.png
    448.png
    143.png
    479.png

Team Creation Process: Okay, now I've got practically all bases covered, except for one. I want more chances to send Gliscor in incase I wasn't able to set up early in the match. He easily comes in on Ground attacks that could kill Lucario, no questions asked. But I wanted there to be at least one other Pokemon that could work well off of Gliscor's typing. Eventually, I found it in Gyarados. Gyarados loves to recieve Speed or Attack boosts from Gliscor, and Gliscor can absorb any Electric based attacks sent Gyarados' way. And with that, I found the last memeber of my team.​

Current Team:
    482.png
    472.png
    448.png
    143.png
    479.png
    130.png

Team Creation Process: Well, I got a reply that gave me a great bit of advice that I had forgot to mention. Their advice was to use Metagross over Lucario. While I was a bit apprehensive at using Metagross, seeing as its not as versatile as Lucario, I tried it out and it has worked perfectly so far. I've also tried out Hariyama and both have worked well off of one another, so I'll be removing Lucario and Snorlax from the list of Pokemon. Also, Rotom-H and Gyarados will be changing slightly.​

Current Team:
    482.png
    472.png
    297.png
    376.png
    479.png
    130.png

Team Creation Process: Once again, the team has changed, this one prompted by the reply I got from locopoke. He mentioned that Hariyama wasn't doing much for the team, and I have to agree with him. I had placed Hariyama on the team to cover for Gliscor's weakness to Ice type attacks. However, Metagross easily absorbs those same Ice attacks, and he can hit back even harder, with or without a Swords Dance. Locopoke suggested replacing it with a Cresselia, which could set up Dual Screens in replacement of Azelf. Rotom was also removed, but not for a Offensive Suicune like locopoke recommended. Rather, a Gengar. My reasons will go more indepth during the analysis.​

Current Team:
    482.png
    472.png
    376.png
    488.png
    130.png
    94.png

Indepth Analysis

Team At A Glance
    |
    482_azelf_2_m.png
    |
    472_gliscor_1_m.png
    |
    376_metagross_2_m.png
    |
    488_cresselia_1_f.png
    |
    130_gyarados_1_m.png
    |
    94_gengar_1_m.png
    |
    red.png
    482.png
    red.png

Azelf (U) @ Light Clay
    Type: Psychic
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Naive
    EV's: 6 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe​

~ Psychic ~
    ~ Taunt ~
    ~ Stealth Rock ~
    ~ Explosion ~​

Originally, a Dual Screen Azelf had this slot as the Lead Pokemon. However, after a reply from locopoke, I realized that I was depending on Azelf to do way too much for the team. I was expecting it to be able to set up Stealth Rock, Dual Screens, and maybe use Explosion if I had the opportunity. I managed to pull off all four moves about 70% of the time during a battle, but the other 30% was a coin flip. I'd have to analyze the Lead against me, decided whether it was Physical or Special based, activate one of the Screens to help defend me, then either set up Stealth Rock or set up the other Screen. Usually, the opponent would go for Stealth Rock, letting me set up all three. I changed to a normal Lead Azelf to help alleviate the pressure I constantly put on it. I might change it to a TrickZelf in the future. Tests are currently pending.​

23.png
    472.png
    23.png

Gliscor (M) @ Lum Berry
    Type: Ground/Flying
    Ability: Hyper Cutter
    Nature: Timid
    EV's: 252 HP | 196 SpD | 60 Spe
    ~ Swords Dance ~
    ~ Rock Polish ~
    ~ Taunt ~
    ~ Baton Pass ~​

Gliscor is the main star of the team, passing stats around as quickly as possible. The main idea behind this set is to come in on something that will most likely can't do any real harm to me, and as they switch out, use Rock Polish. With Rock Polish, I outspeed a Choice Scarf Jirachi, and shut down its Trick with Taunt, forcing it to switch out and giving myself another boost. Swords Dance is to give my main Physical Attackers the boost they really need. After a Rock Polish and Swords Dance, Gyarados becomes an unstoppable menace to my opponents team.​

0.png
    376.png
    0.png

Metagross (U) @ Muscle Band
    Type: Steel/Psychic
    Ability: Clear Body
    Nature: Adamant
    EV's: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
    ~ Meteor Mash ~
    ~ Thunderpunch ~
    ~ Zen Headbutt ~
    ~ Earthquake ~​

Right off the bat, I'd like to thank Joshe for suggesting this set to me. It's worked even better than Lucario, running thorugh Pokemon with its massive attack score. Out of the 20 matches I've played with Metagross, it ended the game at the very least seven times. The other few were a combination between Gyarados and Hariyama. Earthquake is a move that needs no explanation in OverUsed. Meteor Mash is one of the most standard attacks on a Metagross set, and it comes with the small chance of upping the attack stat by +1, which is always nice. Zen Headbutt is secondary STAB, and it allows me to break through Pokemon that wall Metagross all day long like the Rotom formes. I might be changing the item from Muscle Band to Life Orb seeing as by the time Metagross hits the field, it should be primed to sweep. It isn't effected by Toxic Spikes, takes resisted damage from Stealth Rocks, and and Pokemon that can set up Spikes is slower than Gliscor, so they're taunted.​

janine.png
    488.png
    janine.png

Cresselia (F) @ Light Clay
    Type: Psychic
    Nature: Bold
    EV's: 252 HP | 60 Def | 152 Spe | 44 SpD
    ~ Light Screen ~
    ~ Reflect ~
    ~ Ice Beam ~
    ~ Lunar Dance ~​

Dual Screen Cresselia. This slot used to be occupied by a Hariyama with Thick Fat. After realizing that Hariyama didn't really do anything during the time I tested it, I decided to use the Cresselia locopoke recommended to me. Ice Beam is used so I'm not complete Taunt bait, but I might switch it out for Thunder Wave, seeing as Gliscor could really benefit from the extra turns it could get to set up its boosts. Lunar Dance is used in case Gliscor was weakened after passing off its boosts. Lunar Dance brings it right back in, and their counter to Gliscor (Priority users) are probably all dead or weakened by now, letting me finish up the sweep with the two other sweepers that should be alive.​

clair.png
    130.png
    clair.png

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
    Type: Water/Flying
    Ability: Intimidate
    Nature: Adamant
    EV's: 60 HP | 252 Atk | 196 Spe
    ~ Dragon Dance/Bounce/Stone Edge ~
    ~ Ice Fang ~
    ~ Earthquake ~
    ~ Waterfall ~​

This Pokemon has caused so many ragequits that it's not even funny anymore. Pass a Swords Dance and Rock Polish to this guy and the opponent completely freaks out, losing, at the very least, two Pokemon. Dragon Dance may be removed for Bounce or Stone Edge, seeing as Gliscor is doing most of the boosting itself, so I see no reason to use Dragon Dance other than a fail-safe. Ice Fang hits Latias (one of the main counters) and all Dragons for massive damage. Earthquake and Waterfall have near perfect coverage, excluding Shedinja, which would be taken care of by Bounce if I decide to add it. Adamant may be change to Jolly and Life Orb may be changed to Leftovers. Took a bit out of Speed EV's and dumped them into HP, giving Gyarados a bit more bulk. I haven't changed the item seeing as Gyarados should not be out on the field long. It should be either running through the entire team, or getting ready to die. Those are its two jobs.​

morty.png
    094.png
    morty.png

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
    Type: Ghost/Poison
    Nature: Timid
    EV's: 6 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
    ~ Hidden Power (Fire) ~
    ~ Shadow Ball ~
    ~ Focus Blast ~
    ~ Substitute ~
    Rotom-H used to occupy this slot as a counter to Scizor. Then I realized that I don't really need a counter to Scizor on this team, seeing as nothing is hit for a large amount of damage from Bullet Punch, Superpower can be dodged with Gengar, Pursuit doesn't help much seeing as I rarely, if ever switch, and U-Turn is just racking up Stealth Rock damage. I wanted a fast sweeper, but I wanted it to also have some kind of defense. Gengar is sort of a "Las Stand" Pokemon, only coming in when I've exhausted practically all other Pokemon, sets up a Substitute, and just cleans house.

Offensive Threat List
    NOTE: While I am going over the threat list, you may notice that I constantly mention that I can kill a Pokemon with a speed boost. Now while some of you might say that it is unlikely that I will always have a boost, it has happened. I always manage, at the very least, one speed boost to pass on to other Pokemon. You'll also notice that I frequently mention KO's on Pokemon that would not be KO'd by the attacks I mention. Please remember to take Swords Dance into the damage equation. I know that it sounds unlikely that I will get both, but it happens, frequently (read: always). Don't forget to take Reflect and Light Screen into your calculations aswell.
    482.gif
    Azelf: Since most Azelf's I've encountered are of the Lead variety, I can usually counter them with Taunt. From there, I set up Stealth Rock. After that, they'll hit me with either Fire Blast or Psychic. I use Explode and send out something like Cresselia or Metagross, something they can only do real damage to by using Explosion. Then, on the Explosion, switch to Gengar, dodging damage, and stopping Stealth Rocks from being set up.
    286.gif
    Breloom: Shut down Spore, Leech Seed, and Substitute with Gliscor's Taunt. I doubt that they'll stay in to use Focus Punch, so that gives me a free Rock Polish. From there, I can Baton Pass or, if I can counter the switch in or live long enough, I can go for a second boost. Metagross outspeeds after a Rock Polish and kills it with Zen Headbutt. Gyarados decimates it with Ice Fang, Gengar with Hidden Power (Fire), and Azelf ( if it's still alive) with Psychic.
    051.gif
    Dugtrio: Five out of my six Pokemon either Levitate or have the Flying type. I never send in Metagross until it has a speed boost, so I would outspeed and kill.
    466.gif
    Electivire: Gliscor frightens it away the first time, until the realize that I lack Earthquake. If that doesn't work, I can kill it with Metagross' Earthquake.
    395.gif
    Emploeon: Empoleon has practically no moves to threaten Gyarados, allowing me to Earthquake it. The same can be said with Metagross. With the right prediction, I can kill it with Gengar's Focus Blast.
    330.gif
    Flygon: Gyarados OHKOs it with Ice Fang, Metagross OHKOs it after a Swords Dance boost with Meteor Mash. Cresselia does massive damage with Ice Beam.
    094.gif
    Gengar: OHKOd by Zen Headbutt by Metagross, Waterfall from Gyarados, and can be outsped by Gengar after a pass.
    472.gif
    Gliscor: Metagross with Meteor Mash, Gyarados with Ice Fang, Cresselia with Ice Beam, and at worst cases, can use Gliscor to Taunt and wear down with Gengar.
    130.gif
    Gyarados: Metagross with Thunderpunch, Gengar scares it off.
    485.gif
    Heatran: Metagross with Earthquake, Gyarados with Earthquake, Gengar with Focus Blast.
    214.gif
    Heracross: Stealth Rock. Zen Headbutt from Metagross. Gliscor usually scares it off.
    392.gif
    Infernape: Taunt leaves them with no Nasty Plot, Metagross OHKO with Earthquake/Zen Headbutt, Gyarados OHKO with Waterfall or Earthquake. Gotta look out for the ones with Thunderpunch though for Gyarados.
    385.gif
    Jirachi: Taunt shuts down Substitute and Calm Mind, without Thunderpunch, Jirachi can't put a dent in Gyarados, giving me a free Dragon Dance. Can be a problem with Iron Head flinching though.
    230.gif
    Kingdra: Taunt shuts down Dragon Dance. Metagross can KO with Zen Headbutt after a boost.
    380.gif
    Latias: Gyarados and Ice Fang, Gliscor shuts down Recover and Trick with Taunt, Metagross OHKO with Meteor Mash after a boost.
    448.gif
    Lucario: Metagross kills with Earthquake, Gyarados kills with Earthquake, Gliscor stops Agility and Swords Dance with Taunt, Gengar and Shadow Ball.
    068.gif
    Machamp: Dodge DynamicPunch with Gengar, shut down RestTalk with Gliscor, Metagross OHKO with Zen Headbutt after a boost.
    462.gif
    Magnezone: Outsped and killed by Metagross after a boost.
    473.gif
    Mamoswine: Outspeed it with Gyarados or Metagross and kill with Meteor Mash/Earthquake. Gengar also kills with HP Fire/Focus Blast.
    376.gif
    Metagross: Outspeed and kill with Metagross and Gyarados.
    291.gif
    Ninjask: Shut down with Taunt.
    474.gif
    Porygon Z: Outsped and killed. If Gengar has a Substitute up, can kill with Focus Blast.
    464.gif
    Rhyperior: Shut down Roar and Swords Dance attempts with Taunt, outspeed with Metagross and kill with Meteor Mash.
    407.gif
    Roserade: Ice Fang from Gyarados, Zen Headbutt from Metagross, HP Fire from Gengar, Ice Beam from Cresselia.
    479.gif
    Rotom (And All Its Formes): All OHKOd by Zen Headbutt after Stealth Rock damage and Swords Dance.
    373.gif
    Salamence: Outspeed, OHKO with Meteor Mash. (I believe) OHKO Ice Fang from Gyarados.
    212.gif
    Scizor: Substitute on the switch in, OHKO with Hidden Power Fire from Gengar. Even if they were to live, that would mean that they probably used Bullet Punch, meaning I can switch out. If they used Pursuit, I outspeed and kill regardless.
    143.gif
    Snorlax: Taunt to prevent RestTalk/Curse, and either Dragon Dance up on Snorlax or pass boosts to Metagross and KO with Meteor Mash.
    121.gif
    Starmie: Thunderpunch from Metagross kills it.
    245.gif
    Suicune: Taunt to prevent RestTalk, set up on with with Gyarados or kill with Metagross.
    468.gif
    Togekiss: Outspeed and kill with either Thunderpunch, or Ice Fang.
    248.gif
    Tyranitar: Meteor Mash from Metagross, Focus Blast from Gengar.
    461.gif
    Weavile: Ouspeed and hit with Meteor Mash, Focus Blast, or cause to flee with Gyarados.
    469.gif
    Yanmega: Thunderpunch (Metagross), Ice Fang (Gyarados), Hidden Power Fire (Gengar), Ice Beam (Cresselia).
    145.gif
    Zapdos: OHKO with Zen Headbutt after Swords Dance pass, Ice Fang also.

Closing Notes: There you have it: Team "Pass and Slash". Please don't tell me that when Gliscor goes down, my team practically falls apart. For one, no it doesn't. My team can function without Gliscor, just not on the same level. And two, Gliscor isn't supposed to go down without passing some major boosts. If Gliscor dies AFTER he pasts the boosts, chances are my opponent's team is already down quite a few members.​

Last edited:

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    Your team is completely weak to Gengar, lost alone Gyarados Scarftran in combo with Stealth Rock destroys your team.

Back