• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Global Variables...?

Jay-Kunn

Lawfully Evil
Years
  • Be warned, this will be the first of MANY questions I will ask.

But, what is the point of the Global Variables? Like... what are their functions?

1 = won, 2 = lost, 3 = run, 4 = caught.

Say if I wanted to fight a Mewtwo, much like the Wiki's example. What would the variables mean for the Mewtwo.

Please don't try to bash me, also. I'm merely asking a question, albeit a (possibly) simple one.

Seth Pegasus

Creator of Pokemon: The Conspiracy.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2021
    I believe Global Variables are like common events. They are active through the entire game so you don't have to do it yourself for every event. For example, you enter a battle, you lose and black out, then a Global Variable which already exists in the game scripts is switched ON. This Global Variable will take you to the pokemon center where you last healed your Pokemon, the Pokemon are healed, the Global Variable is switched OFF.

Another example,
    You enter a gym where there are 5 trainers and the gym leader. You battle 2 of those trainers. You then battle the gym leader and defeat him/her. A Global Variable is switched ON when you get your badge. This variable will "deactivate" the 3 remaining trainers in the gym that you didn't battle so they don't battle you anymore.

I hope this helps you.

Also, you can visit this page on the Essentials wiki for more information on these events. https://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Events

Jay-Kunn

Lawfully Evil
    Years
  • I believe Global Variables are like common events. They are active through the entire game so you don't have to do it yourself for every event. For example, you enter a battle, you lose and black out, then a Global Variable which already exists in the game scripts is switched ON. This Global Variable will take you to the pokemon center where you last healed your Pokemon, the Pokemon are healed, the Global Variable is switched OFF.

Another example,
    You enter a gym where there are 5 trainers and the gym leader. You battle 2 of those trainers. You then battle the gym leader and defeat him/her. A Global Variable is switched ON when you get your badge. This variable will "deactivate" the 3 remaining trainers in the gym that you didn't battle so they don't battle you anymore.

I hope this helps you.

Also, you can visit this page on the Essentials wiki for more information on these events. https://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Events

Thank you very much.

However, I still need to know about Mewtwo's example.

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2012
    I believe Global Variables are like common events. They are active through the entire game so you don't have to do it yourself for every event. For example, you enter a battle, you lose and black out, then a Global Variable which already exists in the game scripts is switched ON. This Global Variable will take you to the pokemon center where you last healed your Pokemon, the Pokemon are healed, the Global Variable is switched OFF.

Another example,

I hope this helps you.

Although, can't you just do that switches? You could create a switch and add another page on the trainers. Then when you defeat the gym leader this switch turns on and the trainer's switch to their second page which doesn't have a battle event in it.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    The point of 1=won etc. is for re-battles and fleeing and things like that...

For example, if you battle Mewtwo Level 100, but you only have Level 40's, you're going to get smashed... So, the variable you use, will be set to either 1-4, so... You could use another page with say condition $game_variable[x]=2 and therefore, Mewtwo can still be in the exact same position, but say something like:

"I beat you once, for a re-battle you've got to find me"

Then you could make Mewtwo a roamer.

I'll give an example of all of them... They will require condition branches.

$game_variables[x]=1, He can say a message after beating him saying:
    "That was a great battle, I would like to join your team."

$game_variables[x]=3, He could say something like:
    "Why did you run from me?!"
    "Now you will have to find me."
    Then make him a roamer.

$game_variables[x]=4, You would most probably just use a selfswitch"A"==true here

Hope this helps

EDIT: Yes, you would probably use switches to do what has been said, I wouldn't use variables unless you need a few decisions to be made.

Back