• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Going For Choke!" Episode Discussion

Years
    Here is where you can discuss part two of the Final Kanto Contest Ribbon two parter and the grudge match of all Contests: Jessie vs. May in the dire strait "Going For Choke!".

My review to come forthwith.

Years
    Harley sure knows how to nurse a grudge, Wonder how long he can keep it up?

Jessie is getting better at contest battling, especially with Pokemon that she never used before. I would like to see her actually win a few. It would make a nice change from her getting creamed all the time.

With May & Max leaving after this season, it would be great if she won the Grand Festival before leaving.

All in all, I enjoyed the episode. The writing has improved a bit & I love the animation.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    (Blast, I wasn't first this time!)

I actually figured that this was going to take only a little while, then end...or at least end with Jessie freaking out and "going TR" again. Yet, we get a battle between May's little Squirtle and Je...I mean, Harley's trained Banette (that knew THUNDER!) ending with a new factor--overtime...into May's win. Banette's use of Frustration was actually clever of Jessie (how'd she know about the attack? ...Come to think of it, Why did Harley teach it to Banette in the first place!??), just as how most of her attack choices actually rather impressed me--we actually got to see her do well in a battle.

So there we go. Another win, another Ribbon for May (and yet ANOTHER Contestshipping hint--perhaps they're making it canon? Hmm...*shippers squeal*). Now we go to the Battle Pyramid, "evil" Ash, and then the Grand Festival.

Not so remarkable...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2009
    ^.^ I really did enjoy this episode. I agree that they are getting better.

I thought Jessie was going to win, and that would of been something new. v.v too bad she didn't. But that's okay! Then Harley wouldn't have anything to be angry about ^.~

May and Drew are so cute together! hehe X3
    They are making more obvious that they like each other, which is like a first for Pokemon. They usually don't play up relationships too much. They had the Ash and Misty thing, ^^ but, that never really continued...

So it was a good episode in all, pretty intense :P

8/10!

Years
    This episode disappointed me. Jessie did better than May, and she was using someone else's pokemon. Didn't her first attack nearly knock out squirtle? After that, a couple of other attacks would have easily beaten it, especially that Frustration. But, of course, May being a main character and all, miraculously manages to defeat a much stronger pokemon after nearly losing. I wanted her to lose. It would have been a good episode if Jessie would've won, but its pokemon, so the "bad guys" always lose. How sad.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I really liked this episode. I loved all the little Contestshipping hints, very cute. I'm glad Jessie actually almost won for once. I mean, shes been in like all of the contests, and shes never tied May before, I thought that was awesome. Other then that... I liked all the appeals, and the battles. Definatley an episode worth keeping.

SugarKitty23

No.1 Drew/Shuu Fan!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2008
    I was a little apprehensive about this episode at first, because I hated the way PUSA handed the Spontaneous Combusken episode, but I thought they did it great!
    Well...nothing beats the Japanese version (even if you are not fluent in japanese), but I think they did it as good as they could, considering the new voices have a big impact and make the episodes differentiate from the ones prior to PUSA.
    I liked the ending. script for anyone that wants to see it:

May *turns and sees Drew*: huh? Drew I didn't know you were here
    Ash: We got into a really tough spot, but thanks to Drew everything turned out just-
    *May runs past them*
    Max *sounds ammused*: I don't think she heard ya Ash
    *May walks in front of Drew*
    Drew: So, Grand Festival time is finally here, huh
    May: I knew you'd already gotten your five ribbons Drew
    Drew: Indigo Plateu it is...seeya (he said it so quickly it was as though it was one word)
    May: huh....*whispers* Drew...
    May*smiles*: Drew! I'm winning ya know!
    *Drew doesn't look back, but puts his hand up in response*

That was my fave bit hehe

Back