• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GokuRikaku's Gallery: An amateur's attempt to draw.

GokuRikaku

Sup?
    Years
    Hello there. If you are looking for the world's greatest art, you're in the wrong place. My drawings isn't special. Its decent at the least. Its still improving, but it may not get out of the "amateur zone".

At best I would expect people saying that its good...ish, or they will hate it with passion and want it to burn it in hell. Most, if not all of my drawings is sketches... if you could call it that.

Spoiler:

If you're done looking at my silly drawings of puppets, or you skip it, then I guess you could look at my Pokemon fan art. Could be better than what I'm trying to do with the puppets.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    You've got some adorable concepts here and you have quite a cute style! I'm a Touhoumon fan so it's nice to see more fanart for it. ^_^

But anyway, it's critique time! I hope some of these pointers can help you out for next time. :3

I think your art is very cute but one big issue for me is that they look very similar (putting anatomy issues aside). When I opened the first spoiler tag to see your image and then moved onto the second one, I had to do a double take because I thought I reopened the first one again on accident. You should practice angles and unique poses if you can - it'll help a lot, especially since your current pictures are all in a similar frontal view pose. I understand angles are hard though, but all you need to get better is some time and motivation!

Another reason for them being similar are the eyes and hair. I'll skip talking about the eyes since it seems like you're aiming for that eyestyle for a cuter look, maybe? As for the hair, all of your Puppetmon have a similar style of a few streaks of hair on each side and are about the same length. If you didn't intend for them to have similar-looking hair, try to change it around a bit! Maybe give one wavy hair, another hair without bangs, and so on. If they all have similar hairstyles, try to change how you present them - maybe give one character thinner but more streaks of hair/bangs or make their bangs sway to one side entirely (just throwing out ideas). Hair can be a bit tough but it's a very important part of a picture!

Oh, I also notice you seem to make many short strokes when you sketch. For example, for one streak of the hair, you seem to make a short stroke, stop before the streak of hair comes to an end, and then go with another stroke from there (hope this makes sense). It would look much better if you did one clean stroke going from the top of the hair streak to the bottom. It comes out looking slightly messy if you end your strokes sooner than you should; this stroke issue doesn't just apply to hair but everything in your images! Because of this, some of your strokes come out looking somewhat "disconnected" in certain places.

I do especially like how you gave the grass Puppetmon a visible innocent personality by making her have her hand to her mouth like that and the second stage holding her hands together, though. It gives us a feel for how the general bio of that Puppetmon would be like, which is great. ^_^ Much better than having a simple frontal view pose that doesn't tell us much about the character!

Keep at it! :D

GokuRikaku

Sup?
    Years
    But anyway, it's critique time! I hope some of these pointers can help you out for next time. :3

I think your art is very cute but one big issue for me is that they look very similar (putting anatomy issues aside). When I opened the first spoiler tag to see your image and then moved onto the second one, I had to do a double take because I thought I reopened the first one again on accident. You should practice angles and unique poses if you can - it'll help a lot, especially since your current pictures are all in a similar frontal view pose. I understand angles are hard though, but all you need to get better is some time and motivation!
    Yes, I see what you're saying. After reviewing theses guys, I feel like redrawing them and maybe some redesigning so they can be more unique looking.

I'll skip talking about the eyes since it seems like you're aiming for that eyestyle for a cuter look, maybe?
    Yes, thats the idea. Simple and cute. Can't get any more simpler than an line.

As for the hair, all of your Puppetmon have a similar style of a few streaks of hair on each side and are about the same length. If you didn't intend for them to have similar-looking hair, try to change it around a bit! Maybe give one wavy hair, another hair without bangs, and so on. If they all have similar hairstyles, try to change how you present them - maybe give one character thinner but more streaks of hair/bangs or make their bangs sway to one side entirely (just throwing out ideas). Hair can be a bit tough but it's a very important part of a picture!
    Yes, I like that idea. Thinking of what kind of hair styles to give sometimes gives me brain farts, but I will be sure to not make them all too similar to each other unless they are in one familiy.

Oh, I also notice you seem to make many short strokes when you sketch. For example, for one streak of the hair, you seem to make a short stroke, stop before the streak of hair comes to an end, and then go with another stroke from there (hope this makes sense).
    I think I can make sense out of that.

It would look much better if you did one clean stroke going from the top of the hair streak to the bottom. It comes out looking slightly messy if you end your strokes sooner than you should; this stroke issue doesn't just apply to hair but everything in your images! Because of this, some of your strokes come out looking somewhat "disconnected" in certain places.
    I guess I'm more of an amateur than I thought. I should do that. I think I remember seeing a guide about anime hair but it seems I didn't take any notes from that. I should review it.

Keep at it! :D
    Thankyou. I didn't think someone will post something like this that helps me.

Don't refer to yourself as an amateur, we all start somewhere. ^_^ Guides are great for anyone of any skill level, so it's definitely a good idea to look at those! This is a pretty nice guide on hair, if you're interested.

I still have a lot of problems drawing hair and mess up angles pretty frequently, so I can understand why it's difficult >: But I hope to see more art from you soon!

GokuRikaku

Sup?
    Years
    Don't refer to yourself as an amateur, we all start somewhere. ^_^ Guides are great for anyone of any skill level, so it's definitely a good idea to look at those! This is a pretty nice guide on hair, if you're interested.

I still have a lot of problems drawing hair and mess up angles pretty frequently, so I can understand why it's difficult >: But I hope to see more art from you soon!

Thankyou. I'll try to get better drawing hair. Practice makes perfect.

Anyways, I guess I should update to spark more comments. Adding the Puppetdex we have:

Spoiler:

Katz, Nyayen, and Meowzie
    They're cats. Lossely base on the Maneki Neko and somewhat on Meowth. The charm they hold is the source of their power. If damaged, it will lose its ability to use magic. Unless I make more cat puppets, these might be the only one who has Pay Day and Assist. They are Normal-type.

Spoiler:

Canary, Harpy, and Garuda
    Its kinda obvious that these guys are base on Harpies if you didn't look at the middle one's name. They're the Puppetmon's version of Pidgey. It was alittle awkward to draw the wings because I never drew any wings before. Might be the reason why the wings looks very sharp. They mostly appear at the day time and they are Normal/Flying-type.

Spoiler:

Tengu, Ninjagu, and Shinobigu
    Not sure how I like the names I gave them...
    Anyways, I was going for a crow/tengu hybird kindof deal. But it ended up sorta nothing like a Tengu but ninjas with black wings. I guess the only tengu like thing about these guys is the large fan that Shinobigu has on its back. Base on the fan that the Tengu seem to have that can be used to grow/shrink a person's nose... and/or to create powerful gusts of winds. So expect wind base moves from it. They mostly come out at night, and they are Dark/Flying-type.

As of next Puppetmons I'm think of is bees and a bat/vampire. And I have no idea what names I'm going to give them.

Back