• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Gold or Silver?

Which do you prefer?

• Pokémon Gold Version

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Pokémon Silver Version

Votes: 46 63.0%

• Total voters

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
    So what do you guys think is better, Pokémon Gold or Pokémon Silver?

I personally prefer Gold because that was my first Pokémon game, but Silver's not a bad choice at all.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    'Can't particularly choose one, I can't find any differences to both games, except for my journey of course. It was easier on Silver. :P

Years
    I always preferred Gold, it might have just been the colour though. There isn't much difference between the two, apart from version exclusives I guess.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2012
    Gold has better exclusive's, I've always thought (Primeape, Arcanine, Gligar, Ursaring) but Silver has that Lugia, which is just awesome. Tough choice but I voted for Silver, not saying I prefer it alot over Gold.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
    I prefered Silver, and it was the one that I had actually owned.

As said previously, there are only a few minor differences between the two games, but over all, I preferred the unique Pokemon of Silver rather than Gold.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    Silver, for the sole reason that it had Phanpy. I then got HeartGold because they swapped exclusives.
    Phanpy is one of favourite pokemon
    Gold or Silver?

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    Without hesitation, Silver. Because it is the game that really make me loving Pokémon. I spend hours and hours on it, while I was just 7.
    I got my first and last Pokémon at level 100 in this version, an Espeon. I've never been so far in a Pokémon game, I never played a Pokémon game with such delight.
    And, aside from this memories story that links me to this game, I prefer its Pokémon design than in the Gold version.
    Moreover, the Silver colour make me dreaming, as well as Lugia, the emblem of this version.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Well they're pretty much exactly the same game so the idea of choosing between them is a little strange lol, but I would choose Gold Version. It's for sentimental reasons only - I got Gold first, and I got it for my tenth (or eleventh, I can't remember if it came out in 2000 or 2001 in Australia) and I played it religiously. It was such an amazing game and I can still remember how I felt playing it.

I also find it strange that so many people always seem to choose the opposite version to whatever I choose. I remember everybody I knew was playing Silver while I was playing Gold and I thought that was strange... and then the same thing happened in Gen 3. I had Sapphire and everybody else had Ruby. It's just odd... I don't know what it is...

Tyewatson

Poke Scholar
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    I have always preferred Silver over gold. I got that game first as a kid and I have so many memories with it. Yeah sure gold is not much different then silver however the colour of the cartridge and Lugia made the game awesome for me.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    and then the same thing happened in Gen 3. I had Sapphire and everybody else had Ruby.
    Not in my case or for many of my friends then. =p

Silver for me, for that was the one I got. Went with it because I prefered Lugia, really - didn't know much about version exclusives. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Silver... since IIRC (and if SS is any indication) Meowth was in it and not in Gold. Plus I always get the game opposite the one my brother buys, and he picked up Gold first. And, also IIRC some of the Pokemon sprites (like Rattata) were less attractive in Gold.

Pixel!

Smallest graphical unit
    Years
    I'm with Gold,because I like its exclusives better. Also I like the idea of Gold better than Silver,as I do with Blue over Red for example ...

Last edited:

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I had Gold when I was little, and for a while I liked Silver better, but then my taste kind of changes and I started liking Gold more again. I like it because it reminds me of the sun, oriental, and I like Ho-Oh's design just a tiny bit better than Lugia's. I love them both though.

Back