• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Gold & Silver

RichterB

Master Trainer
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Sep 7, 2007
    So, is it just my luck or has anyone elses Gold or Silver versions just erase for no reason? I own the U.S. version of Silver which erased for an unknown reason and wont save any new games and the Japanese version of Gold which also erased for an unknown reason. Is this a flaw in the cartridges or is it just my luck? I was pretty mad since their my fav. versions of the whole series :(

Rioku_Zanketa

...::Ultimate Warrior::...
    Years
    yea..my silver was erased by itself for no reason at all as well..but then again...I think it was because I haven't played it in a while....when was the last time you played yours?..

RichterB

Master Trainer
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Sep 7, 2007
    oops, my b i didnt see the other thread, but yeah i actually played it alot last july and it was working fine, then one day i just turned it on and said new game without a continue, my heart dropped because a few days earlier i completed my pokedex :\

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    RichterB said:
    So, is it just my luck or has anyone elses Gold or Silver versions just erase for no reason?
    Wow dude...same exact thing happened to me. I fired up my Silver to find no File there at all. Probably because I haven't played in about 2-3 years...but I'm still upset because I had like 10 lv 91 Articunos...and a lv 80+ Umbreon I hand trained which took me forever..to get it to evolve at the right time. :disappoin

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I haven't played mine in a couple of years and fired it up yesterday... I still had my save file.

RichterB

Master Trainer
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Sep 7, 2007
    Ninja Monkey said:
    I haven't played mine in a couple of years and fired it up yesterday... I still had my save file.

lol then your very lucky but dont jynx yourself XD! i was thinking about buying a used one cause i seen a few around but im afraid either its just going to die on me again or their already dead and ppl traded them in anyway. why do my fav games out of the whole series have to be the ones with the problems?! :[

Exokriz

Delete.
    Years
    I wonder if there is a way to fix this problem....

(No wonder people havent been answering my thread, they've all been answering yours =P)

Green Bulbasaur

Grass Lover
    Years
    After you play a Pokemon game for a certain amount of hours, you're internal battery dies. It seems as if yours died also. There's no way to get it fixed either, I think, so you're just gonna have to go buy yourself a new copy. =/

Exokriz

Delete.
    Years
    Green Bulbasaur said:
    After you play a Pokemon game for a certain amount of hours, you're internal battery dies. It seems as if yours died also. There's no way to get it fixed either, I think, so you're just gonna have to go buy yourself a new copy. =/

.......what are you talking about? Game Cartridges don't have batteries.....

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2006
    yeh i agree with green bulbasaur the most likely answer is your internal battery has died, you can send it to nintendo and they will replace the battery for free, but you must pay for shipping etc. or the connectors in your cartridge or game boy could be dirty and you could fix it with a cleaning kit, or if they are very dirty you could send it to nintendo and they could clean it for you.

Aust77

Grass Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2011
    Does Nintendo still clean and fix cartridges??Same thing happened with my gold version.Sadly,I had Raikou,Umbreon,Espeon,Feraligatr and many other good Pokemon.Also my brother has had Red version about 6-7 years and it still works and i've had gold only 2-3 years.....I hope this won't happen to the blue version i'm getting next Thursday.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    Exokriz said:
    .......what are you talking about? Game Cartridges don't have batteries.....
    Yes they do. The internal battery is what holds all your savegame data. If that dies, then so do your savegames.

Tikal Kid

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 5, 2010
    Ninja Monkey said:
    Yes they do. The internal battery is what holds all your savegame data. If that dies, then so do your savegames.

I think the save's saved as a seperate file on the cartredge, I'm pretty sure on that, the battery in G/S just keeps the clock running like a PC's battery does, but yah, my gold erased once randomly, I had like 3 level 100's, a lugia, typhlosion... and... something else... it was like 4 years ago so I don't remember exactly, but I started up a new game after and it's been going fine sence.

Pokemon Master 4ever

Kazuma kicks ***,like crazy...
    Years
    I usually leave my games in the car,on my dresser or even in the DEN,most time my saved game is ereased.I look in the part that goes into the GB and see crums or dust and blow it out.
    Hint:Don't leave the game cartiges in your pants or shorts you may not even remember it was there until it gets washed and the saved file is gone for good.

I had a level 100 Typhosion,Meganium,Feraligatr,Lugia,Ho-Oh,Entei,Raikou,Suicune.

RichterB

Master Trainer
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Sep 7, 2007
    well good news, my friend was searching through his games the other day and found his silver and knowing that mine died he just gave me his! :shocked: i fired it up and found that yes indeed the save feature still works :D

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    Hmm I wonder if I sped up the death the Internal battery, from the number of times I abruptly turned off the game while saving while using the cloning trick...

I abused that cheat alot..must've done it about 100 times.

You think that might've contributed to the death of my internal battery?

RichterB

Master Trainer
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Sep 7, 2007
    yeah maybe, at this point im guessing its a problem with only the GSC versions because mine and everyone elses RBY still work fine and thier even older cartridges. i hope this problem wasnt continued though with RSE and even future games :nervous:

Years
    The internal battery keeps the time of the game. So when the battery dies, the game is unable to keep time, thus it says that there is no time set and that the file is corrupted. Sadly, my Gold version of six years died... I'm sure my brother's Silver version is to follow and I'm replaying my Crystal just to get as much fun from it while it lasts. Sad, because I believe that the Gold/Silver/Crystal generation was the pinnacle of Pokemon gaming.

Back