• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Golden Sun: Best GBA RPG?

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
  • I played both GS and GS: the lost age and it was pretty much the best gaming experience i've ever had on my gameboy (aside from pokemon =P) Anyone else agree?

Persona

Banned
    Years
  • I personally thought Riviera: The Promised Land and the remake of Final Fantasy VI were the two best RPGs for the handheld. But, Golden Sun is still up there as one of the best series I've played on the GBA. :D

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    I second what Seifer said also even tough it's not an RPG, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and both Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones are pretty dam good and i still play them regulary :3 AND LET US NOT FORGET BOKTAI THE SUN IS IN YOUR HANDS XD...

Back on thread, yeah GS is a pretty good RPG for only a handheld and i vote OK if they do a remake for it on another system such as the Wii (which would totally kickass) or any other new system (can you image GS with top notch modern graphics? *drools*)

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • I also loved both Fire Emblems....they're right up there as well, although i'd call them more of a strategy RPG then the traditional "Final Fantasy" RPG, which is what Golden Sun is most like.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • In terms of game balance? Golden Sun is definitely the best I've seen. Thus far, it's the only one which Smarties hasn't found a way to break the heck out of, and that's already saying something. I also like the class change/summon system (and how using your biggest source of damage turns your characters wimpy and vulnerable for a few turns), and the overworld graphics with the little emoticons did amuse.

Storyline...eh, it's decent enough. Not anything devastatingly original, but at least they put some effort into giving the characters personality.

Really, my only main gripes would be: one, the monsters are about the most boring thing ever. There's just a very limited amount of sprites with a bunch of recolors to them, and in both games the big bad end boss was a ginormous dragon. D= Plus, the sprites look very grainy and pixelly most of the time. Also, the attack names were highly repetitive and often incited WTFs as well. (I mean...what's with those 'blessing' things all hurting you? x.O) Also, there's a bit of aimlessness to it (terrible if you forget where that last non-repeatable piece of dialogue wanted you to go D=) and traversing that huge world map while constantly being harassed by freakin' sea monsters is seriously annoying. >.<

Overall, they're both good games, though, and some of the very rare kind that doesn't get ridiculously easy by the end of it. Good? Certainly. Best? I'll have to pass on that one because my knowledge on the subject isn't wide enough. =O

Last edited:

Wulf

Am I kawaii know? Uguu~
    Years
  • I don't agree. I played it, and I liked it, but I've been playing MOTHER 3 lately, and it has to be my favorite GBA game out there for me. It's a shame NoA won't release here.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • I loved Golden Sun..like a lot. The storyline was just peachy for me, but if we're pointing out a few flaws in it I'd have to agree with Alter on some things. I hate it when game companies think it'll be cool and/or fun to create monsters that look exactly like the previous monster with a different color and new attack. On top of that, yeah, the final bosses were dragons, but they were awesome dragons. O_o

And I did enjoy all the different bosses the games had to offer. What was best of all was all the little details you could transfer over from GS1 to The Lost Age like weapons, character data, mini-scenes...though my biggest beef with the game: not much was explained about a lot of the characters past that should have been (or if not, they could have at least came out with a 3rd game to complete the series >:O

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Swordcraft Story was the best GBA RPG. Period :D

Didn't you mean Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2? Yep it's AWESOME just to say it in one word and don't fill the thread with things about how cool the game is XD

Back