• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gone.

Cid

Years
  • What if a close friend suddenly disappears?
    Have you ever experienced a time when a person you cherish disappears, leaves or dies so suddenly that you fail to realize it soon enough?
    If so, how would you react?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    If a close friend of mine suddenly disappears I actually look for them through asking people and going to their house, if possible. I cherish my friends and I don't want them to go away!

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • That's actually happened to me once. I had a best friend, my only best friend at the time, who suddenly disappeared. I was worried sick for her until I asked her cousin where she went. Turns out she got married and left to North Dakota...hm.

Although if it were to happen again, being quite lazy and not very motivated, I just research and ask around. I wouldn't go as far as to travel to find them...I mean, if it wasn't something serious, then I'm fine.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • I would say this has happened to me but opposite. I actually just chose to disappear from my friends after high school.
    My friends seemed kind of upset about it if I were to bump into them or receive a text message, so I imagine that's how it feels?

Honestly it probably wouldn't bother me though, I try not to waste my energy on something as trivial as creating close relationships with others, besides my family.

Years
  • I don't think this has ever happened to me before. I would try and re-establish contact with the person but I would probably just give up and not bother after a while. I dunno.

Years
  • This is very common. But think about it, the way you feel for them as your closest friend, your 'best' friend, do they actually feel the same way for you? You will share your food with them even if you don't have enough for yourself but would they do they same for you?
    Like she said ↓
    That's actually happened to me once. I had a best friend, my only best friend at the time, who suddenly disappeared. I was worried sick for her until I asked her cousin where she went. Turns out she got married and left to North Dakota...hm.
    Will a true best friend do that? No. They will inform and invite you to the joyful occasion of being married.
    If they do disappear I wouldn't really care much unless of course if he/she has been there for me in the time of need and I know something is not right. Then I will try to find out what happened until my patience run out.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What if a close friend suddenly disappears?: I'd feel sad over his leaving, then get over it quickly.
    Have you ever experienced a time when a person you cherish disappears, leaves or dies so suddenly that you fail to realize it soon enough?: No, I haven't experienced anyone leave suddenly without saying goodbye.
    If so, how would you react?: If that happened, then I'd feel sad over that, then get over it in a few days.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • I've never had this happen in real life, though I had an online friend who did it once. She and I were best friends, and after five years we finally started drifting a bit, but it was barely anything to stop being friends over. She just got more into the video game fandoms, and roleplaying on different sites, and did her own thing. I did my own thing, but we still leveled a lot, talked every day, etc.

Then one day she just never came on MSN, or anything ever again. She made a new MSN, deleted me on facebook, and all of the other sites she had me added on. I asked a few friends, and they said she'd done the same with them, but at least still had them on facebook. She just ignored them. We guessed that she got tired of us one day, and moved on. -w- This is why online friends are risky to me, and something somewhat similar happen to me IRL come to think of it. Friendships in general, I'm never sure how strong they are.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • This has happened to me a few times. I was so upset - the reason being that even though you swear you'll keep contact, you eventually grow apart and even if you don't - even if you remain the best of friends - it's never the same as it was, because the whole paradigm shifts. It's not so much about losing the person for me, it's about losing the whole experience of the way things are.

So yeah, I never react well lol. Don't know what you've got til it's gone etc.

Ayselipera

The cycle seems to be, I meet someone, they obsess over me, I really come to trust them and value them, they meet someone else and leave, we never speak again for the longest time, I somehow encounter them again and they tell me how terrible everything has been since we drifted and how much they miss me and how no one will ever be like me, they make no effort to actually do anything about it, we never speak again, but I will hear through other people all the nice things they say about me.

It used to really hurt, but I think I have grown to expect it in nearly every relationship I make with anyone now. It's not to say it doesn't bother me anymore I just don't think about it.

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
    Years
  • Oh boy :/ I had a friend in eighth grade who just disappeared one Monday and then never came back. We both helped out in the Attendance Office and the attendance lady always asked me where she was. I never knew. I tried asking around, but everyone gave me different stories. "Oh she went to the Philippines", "Oh she moved to Canada", etc. This was years ago when Facebook was just starting to get super popular, but people still used Myspace. I checked her Myspace and sure enough, it was inactive.

I still don't know what the heck happened to her because she never told me she was going to leave...

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I've had this happen to me once in real life, and I don't mean losing a friendship and not talking. My best friend in intermediate school (grades 3-5), who lived across the street, moved without a word. I went to his house one day, knocked on the door, and nobody answered. I looked through the mail slot and nothing was there. I went around to the back, looked in the sliding door, and nothing was there. There's really nothing you can do about it when something like that happens, especially if you have no other means of communicating with them (though, in this day and age, that isn't likely for most friendships - with what social networking, cellphones, etc). Obviously you aren't going to like it if a close friend suddenly disappears...

Back