• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Good Computer for gameing?

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    While there is some really good advice I'd disagree with quite a few statements.

Processors
    [... snip...]

While generally solid advice, for a (pure) gaming device priorities do shift somewhat. Games generally make poor use of more than 2-3 cores. But the OP seems to have heavy budget constraints, and while I am a big fan of Intel's CPUs I think there is much better value for the money with AMD when you are talking about the $50-$150 range.

Some options for budget builds:
    Intel G2020 - $67.99 a cheap decent low end CPU that will easily handle most mainstream games.
    AMD FX-4100 - $99.99 a cheap powerhouse QuadCore, that should handle mostly any game you will throw at it in the near future.

Graphics Card
    [... snip...]

Yes integrated graphics are definite no-no. But, as with Intel, NVIDIA really starts to shine in the high-end sector. There are few NVIDIA cards that can compete with the raw power/price of AMD cards at lower price points. I do agree though that it is probably better to spend a little more money to in order to future-proof the PC.

Suggestion
    RadeonHD 7850 - 189.99$ it might seem to be slightly above budget, but it is a great card that will run games for many years to come.

But as Serence Grace mentioned it will be much easier to make specific suggestions once you post a few numbers like your preferred price range and an absolute maximum you are willing to spend.

Generally speaking $450-$500 could net you a quite decent gaming PC with some later upgrade options. $700-$1000 will get you a pretty decent PC that you will probably last you quite a few years and a lot of room for later improvement/upgrades.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    AMD A10-6800K is quite a decent processor and GPU integrated for $150. It's a quad-core at 4.1GHz and is able to play Starcraft 2 at least at 30FPS at 1080p resolutions on medium settings, and no external video card required. You can get a good graphics card later down the road.

8GB of RAM is really all you need, even for high end gaming. More memory does not necessarily mean faster computer. Having more RAM just allows more applications/programs to be open at the same time without slowdowns. You still need enough for your operating system, and 8GB gives plenty of headroom.
    Faster speeds of RAM doesn't increase your frames per second in games all that much if you have a stand-alone graphics card (maybe 1-3% difference between DDR3 1333MHz and DDR3 2133MHz for example). If you go for the processor like the one I mentioned above though, it's beneficial. Faster memory in this case means it can handle more graphics at once.

Stay away from "green" hard drives. ALWAYS make sure the hard drive you're getting is a solid 7200RPM at least. Green hard drives, or NAS hard drives run at either 5900RPM, or a variable of 5400-7200RPM; even those variable ones are pretty slow in comparison. As far as size goes... that's completely up to you. The norm is 1TB (terabyte... or roughly 1000 gigabytes), and even then that might be more than enough.

One final point, and this is about manufactured (pre-made) computers. It can be a little difficult to find a decent pre-made budget gaming PC . If you have any friends at all that are computer savvy, ask for their assistance in building your PC. Next, for you, I'll have some price ranges I know of off the top of my head.

- AMD A10-6800K - $150
    - Decent motherboard for the processor- ~$80-$100 (ASRock is a decent budget motherboard manufacturer, but AFAIK they can only be found in online stores, otherwise ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI are good)
    - DDR3 8GB 1333 RAM - $50-$60
    - 500-600W Power Supply - $50-$70 (Antec, Corsair, Thermaltake are good. Coolermaster and Enermax are decent budget power supply manufacturers. The higher wattage you go, the more room you have for higher end graphics cards).
    - 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive - Roughly $60-$90. Choose whichever brand has the best deal, results vary for everyone as far as brand preference so no one is better than the other.
    - Windows 7 Home 64-bit OEM - $100. Even if you buy a pre-built system, it's always... ALWAYS a good idea to have an operating system disc on hand if they don't provide you with one (and I don't mean a recovery disc!!). Also there's no good reason to get a 32-bit OS anymore. It's obsolete, and everything runs on 64-bit now.
    - OEM 24x CD/DVD drive - $15-$30 - Just buy whichever brand has the best deal.
    - Computer case tower - Corsair 200R, or Coolermaster 430 Elite, about $45-$70. I'd just look at those yourself and decide.

With all that, at the highest price range I gave, it's $670 (before tax). Good luck!

Back