• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Good Host I can Use HTML On?

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
Years
  • I'm learning HTML and I'd like to know a good host to make a site with HTML. Please and Thank you.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • If you need a host just for learning HTML you could even go for FreeWebs in HTML mode.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    If you need a host just for learning HTML you could even go for FreeWebs in HTML mode.

That. ^

Freewebs is a bit different now days, so the the address isn't as tacky. Instead of 'www.SITENAME.freewebs.com' it's just 'www.SITENAME.webs.com'. Plus, when you use the HTML building mode, you can make it look anyway that you want.. I've been to a lot of Freewebs sites, and didn't even realize that they were at first.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    You can make an HTML file and upload it to freewebs. So you have www.Freewebs.com/USERNAME/FILENAME.html. Create an HTML file by putting in your code into notepad and saving as ANY NAME.html

Then, you can go to https://www.Dot.Tk , which will make it so you can get a .tk domain name. So that'd make it DOMAINNAME.tk. All of this is free, of course.

This'll give you the most freedom, and take NAME.HTML on your computer, and change it to NAME.tk on the internet.

That. ^

Freewebs is a bit different now days, so the the address isn't as tacky. Instead of 'www.SITENAME.freewebs.com' it's just 'www.SITENAME.webs.com'. Plus, when you use the HTML building mode, you can make it look anyway that you want.. I've been to a lot of Freewebs sites, and didn't even realize that they were at first.

It still works as 'www.freewebs.com/SITENAME', too. EDIT: and unless you're looking at HTML files hosted by Freewebs, there's templates you have to follow. There's more templates nowadays, though.

Last edited:

Tyler

PHP Scripter
    Years
  • Try this: https://netfirms.com/mac

2 Free Domains
    250 GB DISK SPACE AND 2000 GB BANDWIDTH
    for $30

I've used them before and they have great service. Why not spend some dollars instead of going free? You'll get better service and a host to trust.

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
  • Do a google search on Free Hosts, you'll find a ton of them.

But anyways, to your actual question - you can use HTML on any host. It's the building blocks of the internet!

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
  • Try this: https://netfirms.com/mac

2 Free Domains
    250 GB DISK SPACE AND 2000 GB BANDWIDTH
    for $30

I've used them before and they have great service. Why not spend some dollars instead of going free? You'll get better service and a host to trust.
    This is the epitome of bad hosting. Its too costly for what it offers, and why would you suggest something like that to someone who just wants to use something while learning HTML.

Use Freewebs, then there is Geocities but that has too many ads, then there is tripod (cant remember crrectly) There are other hostings that you can find easilly. You really don't need a host while learning HTML now.

Tyler

PHP Scripter
    Years
  • $30 a year is to costly for that? I don't think so. They are the best web hosting I've ever had.

I can't believe people are telling him to use Freewebs after everyone tells all the other sites to get off of Freewebs. That's just sad...

If you just want to practice just run a localhost. xampp.

Mumei

Pokédork
    Years
  • If you just want to practice just run a localhost. xampp.

Since when is xampp for HTML? This person is talking about learning HTML, not PHP.

You don't need hosting or any sort of program such as xampp for practicing HTML, if you actually want a full blown website, I can recommend 110mb.com and byethost.com - personally tested the latter and it's pretty good, but the former is highly recommended. Both are free. And you can use HTML on ANY host. It would be almost literally impossible to have a host that didn't let you use HTML.

You can think about paid hosting if you get serious, but until then stick with free hosting.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    I think the question of whether a host supports HTML is rather silly. Unless you're on a place like Webspawner, the joy and advantages of HTML are available to every other web host, free or paid.

Since when is xampp for HTML? This person is talking about learning HTML, not PHP.

That's not what LAMPP is supposed to be. It was not built exclusively for PHP programmers or Perl programmers. It was built as a general web server suite. XAMPP is an implementation of LAMPP (with extra functionality) packaged as a test server for those who are not ready to fully deploy on a web host and are developing (developing is not limited to programming languages, again.)

However, XAMPP is not meant to be used for production purposes at all. If you want to host on your own computer (which also makes little sense) and you run on Windows, then use apache2triad.

You can think about paid hosting if you get serious, but until then stick with free hosting.

Until "you get serious?" Right. I forgot that you were the one that decided to receive so much traffic on your website that you've outgrown free hosting.

This is the epitome of bad hosting. Its too costly for what it offers, and why would you suggest something like that to someone who just wants to use something while learning HTML.

Protip: Cheap is not always a good idea; you should be worried about the reliability and integrity of the web host before forking your money over.

That hosting package is fine. 250 GB bandwidth is enough to go around for any common user. Should you have a huge resource-intensive site that needs more than 250GB bandwidth, then shared hosting is not for you. Most of the time, those "good hosting packages" you see around the Internet follow a little concept called over-selling.

It's a cheap marketing technique that convinces customers in need of inexpensive solutions to their web hosting woes to sign-up. When the host promises over-the-top resources (which are 95% of the time non-existent, depending on how the resource limits) for an insane, low price, you should consider how their resource policy goes, otherwise you'll end up getting kicked out for consuming too much resources (i.e. CPU, Bandwidth) despite them promising you something like Unlimited Bandwidth.

1TB of bandwidth for $5 sounds too good to be true, and if it's some random company that still doesn't have that smell of trust amongst other customers, you shouldn't fall for these.

Use Freewebs, then there is Geocities but that has too many ads, then there is tripod (cant remember crrectly) There are other hostings that you can find easilly. You really don't need a host while learning HTML now.

Geocities, Tripod and Freewebs are both sub par. Consider using something else. 110mb, Awardspace and Parahosting are good candidates for free web hosting (granted Parahosting still offers free web hosting.)

Mumei

Pokédork
    Years
  • Until "you get serious?" Right. I forgot that you were the one that decided to receive so much traffic on your website that you've outgrown free hosting.

Not what I meant at all. I'm saying "serious" in terms of "if you decide you're really dedicated to keeping and expanding your site and thus you hope to get more traffic and want to be able to support it or need the extra resources to host more pages". Since when does "getting serious" mean "receiving more traffic"?

Ah yes, I forgot. You're the one who thinks website worth is measured in hits. Newsflash: it's not.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    Not what I meant at all. I'm saying "serious" in terms of "if you decide you're really dedicated to keeping and expanding your site and thus you hope to get more traffic and want to be able to support it or need the extra resources to host more pages". Since when does "getting serious" mean "receiving more traffic"

You've missed the entire point. You expand your horizons based on your needs, not on what you hope for. According to your logic, people buy hosting only just because they're serious; that's ridiculous. My statement clarified that people outgrow free hosting eventually, and resource consumption becomes too much for a free provider to handle.

If you're allocated x amount of bandwidth and after a while, your bandwidth and/or CPU consumption on average is double than what you expected it to be, and you see that no other service offers solutions that accommodate to your needs for free, then you've outgrown free hosting.

Ah yes, I forgot. You're the one who thinks website worth is measured in hits. Newsflash: it's not.

I never mentioned anything about a websites worth. Where are you basing off all of these assumptions off of? Where do you see me mentioning worth, merit or anything implying that your sites value is based upon how much traffic you receive? It's as if you just skimmed through my entire statement, ignoring everything, and when you saw "hits", you immediately thought I was talking ignorance. Bravo; I love your work.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    You don't need hosting or any sort of program such as xampp for practicing HTML, if you actually want a full blown website, I can recommend 110mb.com and byethost.com - personally tested the latter and it's pretty good, but the former is highly recommended.
    I would recommend against byethost. When I used it I thought it was great, until I learned that they would redirect anybody whose user agent wasn't on their whitelist to a hideous ad‐laden 404 page.

Other than that, pretty much any host that allows plain uploading of files is good for learning HTML (but don't start a real site on that host!). For plain HTML, you don't even need a web host—you can just use your own computer.

I used to use AtSpace. They allow FTP, but have a limit on filesizes (something like 400KiB, which is rather small).

Right now I use AlwaysData, which has among other things SSH access. No downsides so far, although everything is in French, but I will be moving to a friend's (paid) hosting soon. If you have a site you care about, free hosting is never a good long‐term solution.

Faltzer is right that unlimited hosting plans never are. In a similar example, Comcast used to terminate subscribers to their unlimited plan for using too much bandwidth—but they would never say how much is too much, because they were advertising unlimited bandwidth!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    I would recommend against byethost. When I used it I thought it was great, until I learned that they would redirect anybody whose user agent wasn't on their whitelist to a hideous ad‐laden 404 page.

It's a security measure that many web hosts take, but not to the same lengths that byethost does. Some browsers have exploits which could allow the attacker to send arbitrary HTTP headers or cause a DDoS.

However, that's really not the only reason to avoid Byethost. Of course, there are, obviously, better solutions out there if one looks (and does not use "top 10 free web hosts lists.) Either way, free hosting is ambiguous, because there is no universal formula to determine whether what they are offering is fair, because they don't owe anything to you.

Mumei

Pokédork
    Years
  • I never mentioned anything about a websites worth. Where are you basing off all of these assumptions off of? Where do you see me mentioning worth, merit or anything implying that your sites value is based upon how much traffic you receive? It's as if you just skimmed through my entire statement, ignoring everything, and when you saw "hits", you immediately thought I was talking ignorance. Bravo; I love your work.

Just because I mentioned it on this topic doesn't mean it's from this topic. Or even this board ;)

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    Just because I mentioned it on this topic doesn't mean it's from this topic. Or even this board ;)

You're silly. That doesn't change anything, aside from it being irrelevant and never being explicitly stated at all in TCoD. If you're going to use this topic to vent out about your closed-mindedness as a "webmaster" based on statements you misread, say it now. I can finally stop acknowledging your existence.

Back