• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Good Japanese RPGs?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    So I'm kind of new at gaming and I'm looking for games similar to Final Fantasy. I'm planning to get Catherine, Disgaea 4, Tales of Grace F, and Resonance of Fate. But, I was wondering if there were any other ones you would recommend. Also, a little description of them wouldn't hurt either, haha. Thanks!

I apologize if we aren't allowed to post these kinds of threads, I read in the rules and I didn't see anything against it.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    My absolute favorite is Tales of Vesperia, though I think a lot of people would say they like Tales of Symphonia, or Tales of the Abyss better.

Oh, Skies of Arcadia and Legend of Legaia too, if you're okay with slightly older games.

Last edited:

Zet

Years
    Persona 3 and 4 are great games, that I(and many others) still love. And I'm bad at describing so maybe someone else can do that for me :X

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
    My second favorite would be Final Fantasy 6. It gets kinda grindy near the end, but what JRPG doesn't?

Last edited:

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
    Actually, my real favorite is Chrono Trigger. You start out at a festival in a modern-day setting, but things happen and you end up getting thrown into the middle ages. You rescue a girl that ends up in the portal with you and travel to several time periods over the course of the game and try to stop the apocalypse. It's also hilarious, and has over a dozen endings.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    Catherine isnt a RPG It's a Puzzle game. No RPG like things in this game.

Also, Kingdom Hearts Series.
    There is also Tales of Graces F, Abyss (Ps2, or 3DS), ToV(the PS3 one tho, is in Japan only; Xbox is basically a cut version of Tov).
    Chrono Trigger
    Persona 3, and 4.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
    Persona 3 &4
    Disgaea
    Phantom Brave
    Eternal Sonata
    Radiata Stories
    Final Fantasy 7,10, 13
    Star Ocean

Those are the ones I like, probably more.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
    Years
    I'm going to just expand on those Persona 3 & 4 claims and just say every "Shin Megami Tensei" game released for the PS2 and DS. From (PS2) Nocturne to Avatar Tuner to Devil Summoner, and (DS) Devil Survivor to Strange Journey and Devil Survivor 2.

LordDarkrai

Gamer
    Years
    Chrono Trigger
    Persona 3
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy IV
    Tales of Symphonia
    Kingdom Hearts
    Dot Hack series

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
    Years
    Hm.. maybe Golden Sun?
    1 and 2 for the GBA are really good games, but I don't like Dark Down for the DS >.>

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I also forgot to put that the games should only be for the PS3. D:

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    for PS3 I really enjoyed the White Knight Chronicles, WKC 2 also comes with WKC 1 included so its a very good buy. Demon souls and Dark souls is another great game.

Disgeae I found very good but it takes a very long time to get into it and things take ages to complete if going for trophys.

Years
    Radiant Historia (Nintendo DS), from what I've heard, is fantastic. However, because it had a very limited print run, I would say wait on the reprint. Current used prices can reach upwards of $100 US, and probably aren't much better in other regions. As for details on the game, I don't know much, as I haven't had the opportunity of purchasing it.

Another great one is Lost Odyseey (Xbox 360). In the game, you travel throughout the land as Kaim, an immortal man looking to retrieve his lost memories (I'm not going to post anymore, as it would give away too much). Lost Odyssey is basically what Final Fantasy XIII would have been if Hironobu Sakaguchi was still at Square Enix. It even has over 30 short stories written by a renowned Japanese writer in the game, and all of them are excellent.

Xenoblade (Wii) is another fantastic game by the creator of the Xenosaga series. In the game, you play as Shulk, who discovers he can wield the legendary Monado. With the Monado, Shulk tries to essentially save the wold. The game features massive environments, and many sidequests. In all, you can expect over 100 hours of content if you do sidequests. The game is available in PAL regions and in Japan, and is to be released in the US later this quarter.

Nevermind about those, then. As for PS3 only, I could suggest Hyperdimension Neptunia. The game takes place in the world of Gamindustri, and you play as Neptune, a goddess that who was removed from her position. As Neptune, you travel throughout the land of Gamindustri to save it from monsters. The game, in reality, is based off of console wars. It's also very text-heavy, and pretty Japan-centric in its delivery. It also has a sequel coming out later this month.

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Nier
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Demon's Souls
    3D Dot Game Heroes

These are all cool games. I've heard good things about Atelier Totori/Rorona, Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2, Resonance of Fate, White Knight Chronicles 2, and Final Fantasy XIII-2. I wholly suggest skipping Hyperdimension Neptunia and Star Ocean 4, they're pretty underwhelming.

If we're going to include PS1/PS2 backwards compatible games, then I could make a much bigger list.

Persona 3 and 4 are great games, that I(and many others) still love. And I'm bad at describing so maybe someone else can do that for me :X

Bizarre demon pokemon dungeon crawling waifu simulator.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Regarding the Atelier games, Totori has much improved gameplay over Rorona, but I'm not sure how much of Totori's storyline requires that you've played Rorona first to understand completely. Totori is a sequel and brings back many characters from Rorona, but its story may or may not stand on its own.

Both the latest Atelier games look incredible, though, and aren't "save the world" type games like other RPG's... which can be a good or a bad thing depending on your tastes.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    Damn, I was going to recommend Lost Odyssey if you had a 360. It's practically a Final Fantasy game by a different name - even made by the creator of FF. And it's superb in almost every way.

On PS3, your options are kind of limited. Catherine isn't an RPG at all, and Disgaea 4 is a strategy RPG - not much like Final Fantasy. Eternal Sonata is a fairly decent game - it's gorgeous and the battle system is fun, but the plot is wtf-ish and it has some other flaws. I still think it's one of the better JRPGs this gen though. And the PS3 version has extra content over the 360.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Regarding the Atelier games, Totori has much improved gameplay over Rorona, but I'm not sure how much of Totori's storyline requires that you've played Rorona first to understand completely. Totori is a sequel and brings back many characters from Rorona, but its story may or may not stand on its own.

Both the latest Atelier games look incredible, though, and aren't "save the world" type games like other RPG's... which can be a good or a bad thing depending on your tastes.

I don't think Rorona and Totori's story lines are that intertwined. I've been playing Totori without Rorona and it's pretty easy to understand.

Nobody has mention Ar Tonelico yet? Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel is out on the PS3 and has some pretty graphics. Though, the stripping mechanics in battle are... interesting.

Back