• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Goodbye...

Years
    Remember sometimes where you said goodbye to someone, and it was your last?

About 4 years ago when I was 13, I had a best friend named Eric. We hanged out with each other, like do things together, I learned a lot of things with him and we where really happy.

So one day we go to school, he decides to skip school. I told him don't, but he said don't worry about it it'll be like I was never gone and said goodbye as I did too.

Next thing I know, find out that he was hit by a drunk driver. Paramedics came, tried to help him in the hospital for 5 hours, but he still died. And I couldn't do anything about it...

(This isn't the first time something has happened to me as bad as this, except this it happened to someone else.)

What about you?

Years
    A week before christmas 00', my Great Grandma went out to play bridge with her buddies one Saturday evening, i said goodbye obviously, and she had a Brain Bleed Stroke (Aneurysm) and was dead the next day.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Not anyone close to me. While they have gone through plenty of hardship, the ones closest to me are still alive, at least, and for that I am happy.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    Nope no one close to me has died that I really was old enough to remember.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    When I was 9 my other close friend died in the hospital after being hit by a car. When I was 13 my very close friend got shot and killed while walking home from school. (Drunk Driving) My cousin when he was 21 died because of cancer. Tomorrow is my 13 yr old's friend death day....

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    I can't help but think that this thread was inspired somewhat by xkcd.
    Spoiler:

As for me, I lost my grandfather a few years back.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Such a happy topic.

My grandpa died of cancer back in May, that was the equivalent of most people losing their dad, so it's the first incident that came to mind. Although, I don't get the memory of being able to say goodbye to him, because when he fell asleep the night before he passed, we had no idea that it would be that soon.

But I've been through a number of deaths in my life, so that xkcd comic isn't too far off from my train of thought at times. xD;

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I've had all my grandparents die but only one I've ever been close to. But I ever did emotional about their deaths, it's... just something I can't bring myself to do.

I changed schools about 2/3 of the way through 10th grade and bid farewell to my friends there. Ditto when I graduated and moved on to college. Of course, then came Facebook and most of us are reconnected again... though I haven't seen any of my HS friends in person save one since 2003...

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    This thread makes me sad. ):

When I finished 2nd grade (4 years ago), dad moved our family closer to grandma because... he was planning to break up with mom and... yes. Not only I lost him from my daily life, but my friend group at the other school. I couldn't even say "Bye Guys !". It was the last day of school and all, and my dad was in a huge rush.

I still remember it now and then, and I had several nightmares off it. I just want to tell my dad he acted wrong. L_L

My uncle died this summer while I was in Croatia. He was in the hospital because of a broken hand... and he had lost any want to still live. So he didn't eat, drink and died in a weakened state. That was my first family death loss.

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    Yea, I had something like that. My grandfather recently died due to a heart attack. He was very old, like 98. And my mom's sister died 1 year ago in my house; she had cancer. So, yea I experienced a lot of goodbyes.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    I lost my uncle because some freaking stupid, worthless, jerkfaced psyco happened to be drunk and stabbed my uncle in his back and he died... this was on 2nd November 2008. I found out, I was devastated. Then next thing, his funeral was on the 8th November, a day before I turned 14... the day of the funeral... I was in tears almost every minute. I stopped crying a few times, then cried some more. Then when everyone gathered around the house I practically fell on the floor in tears. >_> Then when we went up to see him in his coffin I.. I couldn't bare to look at him. And nether could my little brother. I couldn't stop crying for him, I lay in my bedroom crying over how someone so pleasant, someone so sweet could just... get killed like that. The guy who done it to him is still in jail, and i hope he rots there for the rest of his pathetic, worthless life. -.-

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
    There are such sad stories on this thread :(

Anywho, I have not had to experience any close friend/family deaths. I suppose I am one of the lucky ones...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I've had several deaths in my life (one being close to Erik's, except that he was simply a band member). The most recent one was the death of my Great-Grandmother. She was in such good health, but suddenly she had gotten cancer and died this summer.

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    My dad died when I was 14. Was a really weird day, it doesn't really hit you for awhile and when it does it feels like somebody flipped your chest inside out. I tend not to dwell on it too much. Me and my dad were never really super close, because he was sickly through most of my life.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    I lost my grandmother (or to be more accurate, my dad lost his mother; it affected him a lot more than it affected me) to lung cancer earlier this year, in June. We all flew to Australia and said our goodbyes, I distinctly remember just wanting to say goodbye and go because it was just heartbreaking.

Now that I think about it, I think that was a good decision to make. I didn't want my final memory of her to be her hooked up to life support, whispering goodbye and all the like. So I kissed her and thought about all the good memories, seemed like the best thing to do at the time. And it was. It was more of a remembrance than a goodbye, I guess. Remembering all that she was great for.

emotions~

MCGames

Passing by every region.
    Years
    I missed school on a Thursday and we had the Friday off, next thing I know is on the Sunday I find out one of my close friends was hit by a car and died while he was at a holiday house or something similar. I never said goodbye to him as we left school on the Wednesday.

Back