• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Google Chrome OS

Will you be using Google Chrome OS when it is released?

• Yes, definately!

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Possibly....

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No, I don't think so.

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters

Melash

Back for now.
    Years
    As some of you may know, Google Chrome OS will be released in 2010 as a new operating system. This OS will be free, open source, and be included on many new netbooks. So here's my question: Will you be downloading it or buying a computer with it pre-installed? Please vote and discuss here!

Last edited:

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    Google's releasing an OS? I'll have to look into that. It's probably a variation of Linux with a Google Chrome look to it.

_Dean_

smoke if you got it
    Years
    • Age 32
    • USA
    • Seen Sep 22, 2016
    I think it will be a good OS for small time users that only own a laptop because they wanted a facebook/myspace/twitter etc.

According to Wikipedia,
    Google Chrome OS is a project by Google Inc. to develop a lightweight computer operating system devoted to using the World Wide Web.

That sounds pretty cool to me. Some computers are so expensive because some vista versions cost up to $500. O___O" If its small time and made for just running the internet and its applications it should be "cheaper".

The downside here, as you can probably imagine, is that focusing on internet usage alone takes away from the principal of "computing" many things at once. I don't know what kind of coding Chrome will be written it, but I doubt it will be able to run half the applications made for Windows XP and up. :<

All in all, though, I would use this OS if I had one of those 13" ACERs. Super cheap laptop with a nice little OS that runs what I need it to.

@BenRK: The OS Kernal is monolithic, like Linux.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Well, sounds like fun. I may download it just to have a look. My heart's still set on 7, though.

Years
    I believe it's out in alpha form, so you could try that in a VM or non-production machine.

I'm happy, it should give a lot of popularity and awareness to linux. Also, it will no doubt have a large userbase.

Zet

Years
    I believe it's out in alpha form, so you could try that in a VM or non-production machine.

I'm happy, it should give a lot of popularity and awareness to linux. Also, it will no doubt have a large userbase.

I doubt it would increase awareness, a majority of people are stupid and will think that Google "made" their own OS

Years

I doubt it would increase awareness, a majority of people are stupid and will think that Google "made" their own OS
    You know what? I think that's entirely valid. I know a lot of friends that preach Chrome, yet have absolutely no idea what Chromium is, when I began to talk about it, they came to the conclusion they must have copied Google. *facepalm*

A while ago, I added the "Zune" theme to my XP installation. At school, people asked if I had Vista. Then I added a dock, so obviously, I had a Mac.... with an HP label and a Windows sticker...

People are stupid.

Regardless, I'm sure there will be a few people who become more aware of linux, but it's impossible to predict how publicly Google will mention they're running Linux. When it comes to installing 3rd party programs, then users will probably find out, when they are pointed to the Linux version.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    I'll gladly put in in a virtual machine to mess around and see how it works, but like i've said before on this matter, google would have to be releasing quite the operating system to get me to switch over full time.

Years
    I'll try it, but there's no way I'd consider running it full time. Unless I get a netbook between now and then, and I also want less than Karmic/Lucid's 30/20 sec boot time, then I would dual boot it.

Considering we're seeing the release of all of these CULV-based ultraportables that can run Windows 7 just fine, I don't honestly see ChromeOS doing too well.

Aberbecam

Banned
    Years
    Well since Google Chrome OS is one of the newest operating system i think it will be good. But, I doubt peoples will buy it. Maybe some peoples will but nothing can beat Windows XP or 7. Its the best,But i guess i can try Google Chrome out when it comes out.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I think I'll reserve my judgment until more details come to light. Google is crazy good at making useful things, so I highly doubt that it's going to fail completely.

Amu

remember who the real enemy is
    Years
    I used Google Chrome, the original one, and it was okay. Don't think I'll be using OS though.​

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    ...But, I doubt peoples will buy it....

No one will buy it as Google wont sell it. I can't think of a single thing Google provides to the general public that is sold. Maybe sold on some hardware, but in that case, you're buying the hardware, rather then the software.

Google will release it for free, though you may find it pre-installed on some netbooks or something in the near future.

Years
    You mean Google Chrome as of the Web Browser? I didn't like that web browser very much it is very simple and it is little bit slow.

*facepalm* Chrome isn't my favourite, but it's by no means slow. After suggesting they're selling it, it seems that someone needs to do some research.

I think netbooks as we know them are dead, anyway.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I personally won't be getting it, but all I want is for the actual Chrome browser to be released for Mac OS X... :/

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    AFAIK, it's not called "Google Chrome OS," either. Chrome is the web browser, and the OS isn't based off the web browser.

Back