• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gotta catch 'em all? Still?

Gotta catch 'em all?

• Sure! If I haven't caught it, I try to catch it. The more, the better.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • No - I only catch Pokémon I need to catch. I'm happy just to see the rest.

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen today
    So I'm wondering around Giant Chasm in Black the other day and I'm seeing a load of Pokémon that I haven't captured yet, and I'm just chucking balls at them without thinking about it.

But as I was battling a Metagross, it suddenly occurred to me that the Pokémon games haven't required you to catch every single one since Diamond and Pearl, and that the 'Gotta catch 'em all' motto was in fact dropped years before that. Your main Pokédex count (the one that pops up when you save) has for a long time registered the amount that you've seen and not the ones you've caught.

So that lead me to wonder - am I old-fashioned? ^^' I know that my goal doesn't include the completion of the Pokédex, and it never really has been, yet I still try to catch as many Pokémon as possible and then they just sit in the box for the rest of eternity. Added to this is the fact that all you have to do now is see them all now instead of catch them, is this all pointless? Is this old practice of catching every Pokémon just a bit dated?

PS - It won't stop me catching them. ^^ I'm just curious to see if now, since the games don't require it it any way, you guys still chuck the balls at every one you haven't caught yet.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    Nah, you're not old fashioned.
    At this point, it's an optional thing and many people are still doing it.

I'm content with completing it as much as I can.
    627 seen/627 caught.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • No, you're not old fashioned. I still catch all the Pokemon I see as well.
    At last check, I caught about 399 of the 649 Pokemon. I've got a lot of work to do.....

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I haven't bothered to "catch 'em all" since my old Yellow version where I maxed out at 150/151 (I was missing Venomoth but my game got glitched and erased while I was training my Venonat to evolve). Nowadays, I only catch what I need for the story and anything I wanna play with on wifi. :P

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Haha, when I used to play Emerald, before I knew much, I only caught ones that looked cool. Only one time out of many did I attempt to complete the Pokédex (which I now know is impossible).

But no, I still try to catch them all. And complete the Regional Pokédex at least once - I managed it on HeartGold, including Celebi and Mew, and I also did it on Black, including Victini. Only Diamond and Platinum left...

I'd never complete a National Pokédex, it's too much hard work.

But no, you're definitely not old-fashioned. I didn't even play the old games, but now I always attempt to capture anything I don't already have (unless I'm running low on Poké Balls and want one specific pokémon).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I haven't bothered to catch 'em all. I just catch the species I can catch in-game and transfer over some starters.

Years
  • B/W made it very hard to complete national pokédex because most of them isn't find in Unova and the rest, you need to have Wi-Fi or two DS for. I've completed mine in Platinum, most Pokémon are found in game either in wild, swarms or pokéradar. I also had Emerald so I could migrate some Gen III pokémon from there.

It's a slow process, but if you're bored, why not. I'm not gonna catch 'em all in Black, only all in the Unova pokédex (well, as far as we can for now). =)

But I gotta say, I think there should be a reward, quite big, for catching them all, if the Pokémon NPC's are trying to make you do it. Maybe an event Pokémon, such as Zorua and Zoroark, or a good item.

Back