• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gotta Catch 'em all?

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    Not exactly, first off all, their slogan "Gotta catch 'em all" was abandoned a LONG time ago.
    (Well not really, I believe they still use it in Pokemon Chronicles, but thats a different story)

Also, catching every Pokemon to received the National Dex would be too hard for some people, due to some reasons
    - Trade for Dialga/Palkia
    - Trade for other starters
    - Trade for version exclusives
    - Manaphy

Hell no, receiving the Nation Dex isn't supposed to be hard, in fact, in all the games that featured a Nation Dex, it is quite easy to get, you're kinda saying it's supposed to be a big challenge.
    I agree on the first three points, but would like to point out that Manaphy is not, in fact, part of the Sinnoh dex.

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
    Perry! said:
    I read something about this and it was becuase Ash had only caught like 8.9% of the pokemon and this wasen't good for pokemon so the line "Gotta Catch 'Em All" was dropped from products and episodes from 2003.

Hope that helps with the question

Actually, the original Japanese slogan was "Let's get Pokemon", which doesn't really state that you should "catch all" of them. I think the real answer is... blame 4Kids for translating the slogan to a completely different meaning.

I agree on the first three points, but would like to point out that Manaphy is not, in fact, part of the Sinnoh dex.

It is. If you have Manaphy, switch your Pokedex back to Sinnoh and go to the end,Manaphy will be there. (#151)

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
    Perhaps I should clarify, then: it is not part of the Sinnoh dex required for obtaining the National dex.

Still, he said Sinnoh Dex, since Manaphy is in the Sinnoh Dex, then I would assume that he means the whole thing, including Manaphy.

And just a few minutes ago, I thought a few things over about this

Now you have to see them all.

What does the National Dex have to do with the slogan? The Sinnoh Dex doesn't really have "em all", so that didn't really make sense.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    That is true..

The slogan seems to stay true to the games, but Anime-wise it was only really meant for the first couple of seasons.
    This was back when Ash was a noob trainer, and told the world he would 'catch 'em all'. Yet the idea seems to have been
    killed off by the writers, since he only catches like... 8 Pokemon, out of every 150 of them. >>;

Still, IMO the slogan still works for the games, as most people prefer to 'catch em all' anyhoo.
    Unless you trade half of them... if thats the case, they pick the thing back up, but change it to 'Gotta Trade 'em all'
    ..haha. Kay, that was bad.

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
    The creaters or pokemon didnt think anyone can catch them all

When chuck norris Got all 151 pokemon they had to make more pokemon. Then when chuck norris got the second set of newer pokemon. They changed the slogan to "see em all"

Nobody can. It's pretty much impossible. :)

Years
    Gary caught them all at one point. But having too many Pokemon is a bad idea. However Ash & Dawn need to catch a few more if they stand ant chance of winning at the Sonnoh championship, & The Grand Festival.

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
    Gary caught them all at one point. But having too many Pokemon is a bad idea. However Ash & Dawn need to catch a few more if they stand ant chance of winning at the Sonnoh championship, & The Grand Festival.
    Gary did? o_O

The only person in Pokemon that had caught them all that I know of is only Crystal, who is in the manga.

Back