• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gotta see 'em all?

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Do you think Gamefreak will stick with their D/P/P ways and allow us to see all the Pokemon for the Nat Dex instead of catching them all? I hope they do, and I hope that it's similar to D/P/P in that if you do everything you're supposed to do, you should have seen all the Pokemon after the Champion battle.

Gusxx1

Name/FC: Gus / 4082 1523 9868
    Years
    Well i would prefer it to be that way. As i never liked having to manually CATCH all of them before that. It was pretty dumb. But that is the only thing i want to be like d/p.

Evil Sonic

Fufufu, All according to plan.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2023
    I like seeing them it's easier than catching all 100+ in that current Pokédex, becuase once you get the National Dex you can do the extra things in the games.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I prefer catching them all over seeing them all for the challenge, but for the remake I'm hoping it will convert to the way we had it in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum to rather see them all. It'll give the game more of a benefit, as you know they'll need to put in extra trainers to the game, they'll need to change the variety of the Pokémon people had from before in order for us to see them, and it means a better chance at training as you won't always be battling the same common types of Pokémon over and over again.

In addition, having to see them all will give us gamers an easier chance for getting the National Dex as well. As long as they don't make it like FRLG where you had to have a certain amount of Pokémon to get specific items, I'll be fine because that was just too hectic, especially if you wanted the EXP. Share in the game to make training a little bit lighter on us.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Yeah, hopefully we will only have to see the 251 Pokémon. I never liked the catch 'em all state. But meh, I don't actually mind, I just want to get my hands on that game :P

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Catching them is part of the challenge, but it isn't always best for everyone, because not all has the patience to catch them all before obtaining the National Dex. I think that is why they made it change in DPPt, and hopefully it'll stay the same in HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Ayselipera

I would much rather want to see them all than
    to catch them all. Its annoying trying to track
    down pokemon to catch them. And leveling up
    pokemon that your never going to use in your
    team is just time consuming.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Plus, having to take time to breed, train and evolve, and then trade for exclusives takes up time, while simply getting the chance to see them allows you to move on continuously without falling back on the game. It'll keep players hooked rather than being turned off by something they may not be interested in doing.

Years
    I'd rather see them all. It would make many people happy if they kept that. (including me. XD) For those of you who want to catch 'em all, you still could. Your Pokedex will be better, because it will actually have the entries. I vote see 'em all!

Chris The Nerd

OMG a Cowterpie!!!
    Years
    I think that Game Freak and/or Nintendo is trying to cater to their 5-10 year old playing the game by holding their hand through the whole game. I doubt that they will turn back to the old way of doing things, though. I just hope that they have different difficulty levels, in the easy level, you only need to see the pokémon to get their 'Dex info, but in the higher levels, you have to Catch them.

on the boxes for Gold and Silver, underneath the title, it said "Gotta Catch 'Em All"

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Making the game required to haveing you see them would be better off, as it turns catching them all into an optional choice for peolpe, over a forceful motion.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Seeing em' all to complete the dex is what I prefer from the two.
    It's too tiring to catch them all.
    Besides, it's more realistic if you just have to "see" them - since that is how it is in the anime.

Years
    Well, to actually complete the National Dex, you still have to catch 'em all. But it's okay if it was see them all to get the National Dex. If it was catch 'em all, that would mean you have to catch both Ho-Oh and Lugia before getting the National dex. You would have to wait until Pewter city to get the other wing to get the National dex.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Catch 'em all if we don't need other games to do so... but we all know that won't happen. So I'd rather have see 'em all. :P

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    "Seeing 'em all" provides great motivation for hunting down all the regions trainers. I recall someone in my old school who couldn't defeat the seventh gym leader(s) in Ruby becuase he refused to battle around two thirds of the games trainers*. Though since one of the wing items is always in Kanto, it would be quite some time after the champion before the National Dex is obtained, due our legendary duo friends. Unless Gamefreak decide to do what they did with Dialga and Palkia in Platinum. Have Ho-oh and Lugia fly across the sky to "see" them, maybe?

*This is only an estimate, its not to be taken as fact.

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
    I say see, mostly because, as far as I know, the Johto dex had the most Pokemon in that any other dex, with 251.

Back