• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Government?

zlip

______
Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    Is there a goverment(s) in the Pokemon World? I know there are village/town elders (partriarchs, leaders, etc) But is there an actual government? Who paying/setting up/keeping eye on the police and nursing jobs? Team Rocket is constantly complaining they have no food money so people do buy things with some form of money, but how is nurse Joys and officer Jennys gettinhg paid?

I really don't think there is becaue when all the disasters happened (Ground/Kyorge, Zorurak Attack, Tema Rocket/Togepi lunching a rocket into space) no one stepped in or even seemed worried about these issues.

DID you know?!? CN cut the first ten minutes of Zorak Master of Illusions! Thus making plot holes on how zuroa escaped and how ahs and co learned about the barccari tornement!

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    ... I'll ignore that obvious bit of spam at the end to have the will to reply...

Since Pokemon is aimed at children, there really isn't any need to create any system of government. What 10 year old is going to care about politics and government? But if it were up to me, I'd think the whole Pokemon world is communist. Just look at everything that is funded without one penny from trainers' pockets and tell me I'm wrong.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well, there was that mayor of trovitopolis in the orange island episode: "The Mystery Menace"

He wasn't very nice to that poor bulbasaur.

I guess thats the closest i've noticed.

Years
  • TV Tropes kinda addresses the matter this way:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SkeletonGovernment

I was going to address it myself, but I'm glad someone else is beating me to it.

Although, we do occasionally see mayors, C.E.O.s and bureaucrats. The closest would be Officer Jenny, and as nice as she is... she and her organization aren't good at their jobs. Explains why the Rockets are still in power for so long.

Galactic is shut down, as, well, Cyrus won and discarded his agents, for the most part. And we won't talk the mess that is of Aqua/Magma.

Guest123_x1

While I believed that cities and nations were governed in the same method as in the real world, I always thought that individual Leagues (such as Indigo, Orange, Johto, Hoenn, etc.) were special districts covering a specific, defined region, governed by a Board of Directors (similar to a Board of Directors of a corporation, a city council, or a public school district's Board of Education), with its members chosen by the league's resident voters. The Leagues are partially funded (their most essential/day to day operations) by property taxes, with other funding coming from user fees, including trainer sign-up fees, trainer defeat fees (losing a battle costs you half your money in the games), and some other services and functions.
    An individual League's Board of Directors typically consists of a President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and several Trustees. (the member levels may vary by league but the President and Trustees are required for all Leagues.)

Last edited:

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • Well we have seen clear distinctions between proletariats and the bourgeoisie in the show so I don't think it's a pure Marxist regime.

The fact that there are essential public services like the police-force, Hospitals and even Pokemon centres means there must be some kind of government in place although the only time where we've encountered any sort of politician was the episode in the Orange Island with the Mayor's Bulbasaur.

Anyway I suspect the system of government is reflective of the system in place in Japan. A parlimentary system of government with a head of state (Emperor) with local matters dealt with by local councillors/Mayors and small villages looked after by a village elder.

I'm sure there's government in the Pokemon world. But why would they need to emphasize it in the anime? I don't see a need for it.

Well duh. Of course they won't discuss in detail the exact workings of the political structure. It'll bore everyone to death.

I think this thread is meant to speculate about what type of government could work in the show - you know as part of debating about elements in the show.

Last edited:

Camara

Forgettable Trainer
    Years
  • In theory all regions except Unova are regions of Japan, and there was no need until now to show government people apart from mayors, etc. Maybe we don't see government investigations because the jenny department has those jurisdictions. And we see a lot of Jennys.

BrainChord

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    Never thought of it... But I do agree
    Its a perfect world with random uprisings :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2013
    I would assume that the government is parliamentary democracy modeled after the Japanese government. And interestingly enough there has to have at least at some point been some sort of military or paramilitary organization around given the fact that LT Surge's character is around.

Back