• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grammar Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2008
    Advice and Advise

I didn't see a correction here for the misuse of advice and advise, so I decided to do it myself.

To make things clearer for those who don't understand, 'advice' is people give advice to other people.

E.g.

The advice Joe had given Darren really helped.

Now, I have seen a lot of this:

The advise Joe had given Darren really helped.

Come on, which looks better? If you picked the last one, this article you're reading is really going to help you in life.

Ok, what about this?

I was going to advise him not to steal the cookies, but I didn't.

Or,

I was going to advice him not to steal the cookies, but I didn't.

Which one looks right? The first one, it's more or less whatever sounds proper really.

So, advice is when someone has given it to them, and is normally the one used most often, whilest advise is normally a person speaking directly to another.

"I would advise you to do your homework when you get it," Mark's teacher told him.

"The advice she gave you, Mark, was pretty good advice."

Really, it isn't that hard.

PM me if I missed anything.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Er...no. Remember [S-HIGHLIGHT]you're is just a shorter way to right you are.[/S-HIGHLIGHT] Remember to defrag you are machine on a regular basis makes no sense!
    You're wrong. "You're" is just a shorter way to write "you are." D:

Honest mistake, no worries. Though maybe you should have a "lesson" on that right/write/rite?

Also, I highly reccomend something on to/too/two. ^.~

~Psychic

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Spelling mistake on my part - my apologies. You're supposed to look at the word in bold. XP

Also, while I see the to/too/two mistake being made quite often, would have/could have/should have isn't something I'd think needs to be discussed really, but meh, your call. :P

~Psychic

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
    Years
  • Also, while I see the to/too/two mistake being made quite often, would have/could have/should have isn't something I'd think needs to be discussed really, but meh, your call. :P

Something that perhaps should be discussed regarding "would have/could have/should have" is the mistake folks sometimes make of writing them as "would of/could of/should of". I've seen that one fairly often.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Something that perhaps should be discussed regarding "would have/could have/should have" is the mistake folks sometimes make of writing them as "would of/could of/should of". I've seen that one fairly often.

While you're at it, might as well include when to use would/could/should. I'd like to see the person that can accomplish all of this.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Or I could close this thread and make it so that only I can post in it. Cut the spammy messages, you two. This is your last warning, since you both should know better. I wanted this thread to remain open so people could ask questions in it, not fight over who gets to do what posts. And yes, keep it up and I will do that.

And yes, I could also suggest that you proof-read your advice posts before posting them. Grammar advice posts should not be containing any spelling mistakes. It is nice that you want to help, but this is not a matter of "Do as I say, not as I do." If you're giving out grammar advice and yet have spelling mistakes, then no one should bother listening to you, to be harshly honest.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • By "get it while it's easy," do you mean reviews, H-T?

You kinda just stopped reading my fic...do you like it still? Did I kill it for you somewhere? You're probably busy, but I'm just letting you know that it's still there.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Watch yourself, txteclipse. Even that last message was offtopic.

After careful thinking and discussion with my best buddy (in the world), I'm closing this topic to prevent further spam. Any questions or any topic that anyone wishes to add should be sent to me via PM.

Sorry y'all, but I have a plan for this topic. And I'm just closing it to protect my brain child.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back