• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grandma, you make the best cookies in the deep blue sea.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
  • Do you guys have any grandparents still alive? If so, how many? Do they live near you?

I have three grandparents still alive - the only one I'm missing is my maternal grandfather, who died a few years before I was born. My paternal grandpa is 79, my paternal grandma is 78, and my maternal grandma is 84. All four of my grandparents hail from Lebanon. My paternal grandparents live in Auburn, Sydney, while my maternal grandmother lives in Newcastle. They all speak English (albeit with very thick Lebanese accents), although my maternal grandma is starting to forget hers. I generally speak Arabic with my maternal grandma, but I use both Arabic and English with my paternal grandparents.

Right now, all three of them are doing pretty well. My paternal grandma is still very healthy. My grandfather is starting to slow down a bit due to age, but he's still doing good too. I get along well with them. My maternal grandma is very traditional, frequently prays and attends the mosque, and wears a headscarf. She also looks very stereotypically Lebanese, with dark skin and curly hair (ironically, some of her cousins' kids and grandkids are blond and blue-eyed). My paternal grandparents are less traditional than she is, and my paternal grandma doesn't wear a headscarf. My paternal grandpa is very light and he was a redhead when he was younger. My paternal grandma is pale too, but her hair's light brown.

My maternal grandparents were second cousins - their mothers were first cousins. Like I've said before, a lot of Middle Eastern people marry their cousins. As far as I know, my paternal grandparents aren't blood relatives. My maternal grandpa, a native of Tebnine, fought for Lebanon in the First Arab-Israeli war.

My paternal grandparents celebrated their 60th anniversary earlier this year.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

As far as I'm aware, both sets of my grandparents are still alive. I've never met my father's parents, so I couldn't say for certain, although I would imagine he would have heard from his sister and mentioned it if either one of them had died...despite the fact that he hasn't seen or spoken to her in over thirty years.

My mother's parents live about four hours away, but I see them throughout the year, and I'll usually spend a week with them during the summer as a holiday of sorts. Ours is quite a small family, and whilst we're pretty scattered, we see one another fairly often.

shhimsleepin

DreamEater
    Years
  • Both of my maternal grandparents are still alive. My maternal grandmother is 72 and my grandfather 74. Both are really in good shape my grandfather is a judge and my grandmother is retired. My grandfather just wears loafers and smokes cigars all the time.

*EDIT* - I have never met my paternal grandparents nor do I plan to at anytime.

Years
  • Just both my grandmothers, as far as I know. My maternal grandfather died way back around July 2001 or so, and my paternal grandfather...died just last November. I was visiting my own parents when I got the news about that; that was definitely a bummer for such a trip. :(

I hadn't seen either of them for some time before they died. Either lived too far away to make regular trips to see them (and they didn't travel themselves), or I had been busy at the time and couldn't make any trips without cutting into school work. .-.

As for my grandmothers, well. Both of them are several hours away at the least even by plane, so I still don't get to see them that often...

Sirfetch’d

My maternal grandparents divorced before I was born and remarried so I ended up having a few stepgrandparents(is that what they are called?) Only my maternal granddad and grandmother are still alive. My granddad lives really far away and I only see him once a year at christmas. However, my grandmother who just turned 70 only lives 2 hours away and I see her about two times a month. I will be going with her to a football game this weekend then taking a trip with her to Tennessee to see some family. I also have a great-grandmother alive still but I haven't seen her in about 2 years due to how far away she lives. Planning on seeing her later in the year though.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I have only one living grandparent, and that's my grandmother... my mom's mom. She's actually her foster mother because my mom was adopted. She lives in Maine though. I do have a godfather who's like a grandfather to me as well. My grampie though, who I still feel most closest to is in heaven. ^^ He was my mom's foster dad.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Just my mom's mom as well, whom I've never met. I never had much of a relationship with any of my grandparents - maternal grandpa died when I was 1, paternal grandpa died when my dad was 3, and my paternal grandma had a stroke that rendered her unable to speak or do anything before I was born, so even though I was like 10 when she died I never really talked to her or anything.

My mom speaks really highly of her dad (very different from the way she talks about her mom), which is rare since my mom does not usually say a lot of good things about others. :P He sounded like a great person, I wish I knew him.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to my grandparents, only my maternal grandma and my paternal grandma are still alive. My maternal granddad died nearly twenty years ago and my paternal grandpa died earlier this year. My maternal grandma lives in Klamath Falls, Oregon. As for my paternal grandma, she lives in either Fort Mill or Rock Hill, South Carolina.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    All of mine are dead. My maternal grandmother died when my mother was about 12-13 actually, and both my grandfathers died when I was really little. My paternal grandmother was the one who lived the longest, she died.....5 years ago I think? I don't really remember.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Both of my grandparents on my mom's side passed away before I met them. Grandpa, before I was born, and grandma, 6 months or so after I was born.

On my dad's side, however, both of them are still around! They live in the middle of Florida, about two hours from where I grew up. Now I'm about 900+ miles away from them haha |D

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • My paternal grandmother makes the best meat sauce and sugar cookies! My maternal grandmother, however, despite good health, makes me want to gag with her awful cooking (she thinks its good too lol).

All four are alive for me, although the grandmother that can cook really well is recovering from a stroke. They are all pretty healthy for the most part, which is great.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    All of my grandparents are dead. I never met my maternal grandfather, since he died about a year before I was born. My paternal grandmother died when I was about 8 and my paternal grandfather died around 2009. My maternal grandmother lived the longest and is the one I remember the most, and she died two--almost three--years ago.

Bay

Years
  • On my mom's side, my maternal grandma is still alive while my maternal grandfather passed away several years before I was born. As for my dad's side, I never met my parental grandparents as they're overseas. When I was visiting Oregon last year, though, a friend of my dad told him his mother (my grandmother) passed away recently.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Both of my grandmothers are still alive. One of my grandfathers passed away a few years ago, and the other one died when I was pretty young.

Years
  • All of my grandparents are dead now. I never met my grandpa on my mother or stepfather's side because they were already dead before I was born. My dad's father I have some vague memory of before he died when I was a child... But to be honest, I don't really know what kind of person he was. It was always a little hard to hear what he was saying.

I can say a lot about my grandmothers, however. Especially with their cooking, haha! Grandma on my mother's side made the best spaghetti and schnitzel. I admired her the most. She could speak three languages (German, English, Spanish) and could draw and sing. Perhaps she is the one whom I inherited my artistic and musical sensibilities from. She's the only grandparent of mine that was born in another country. She was born in Austria, and lived in England as a young adult until she met her husband and finally settled in the USA.

My stepfather's mother was also pretty cool. She had some interesting original recipes, like brownies that had zucchini in them. Back in the early to mid 1900s, she and my stepfather's family lived in rural conditions where they did lots of manual labor on a farm.

My grandma on my father's side made the best tamales. She was born in the same area of Texas as me... at least... I think. I should ask my father more about them, since I know the least about his parents. His mother and father were people of faith, with grandpa being a pastor. That's all I know, really... Man, I feel bad. I didn't visit them as much as my other grandparents...

Years
  • All of my grandparents are dead, my grandmother died before I was born, my grandfather back in like 2008, my other grandmother in 2010 and my other grandfather in 2011.
    I only ever met two though (the two on my father's side) and the lived close all my life, like a couple hours drive. So I saw them a lot. Suffice to say I always thought they'd always be there, but I guess that wasn't the case.
    I miss my grandfather the most, we were close.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • Both my grandmothers are still alive. My maternal grandmother lives around my area, whereas my paternal one lives in a small town about 2 hours from where I live. As for my grandfathers, I have been without them for quite a number of years now. My maternal grandfather passed away when I was very young, and I never really knew my paternal grandfather, but I somehow recollect that he passed away some years ago.

Years
  • Only 3 is alive. Still strong, thank God. :D
    Both my paternal grandparents are alive, I don't know their age though :D
    And on the maternal side: my grandma.

Back