• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Graphics or Gameplay?

Graphics ot Gameplay?

• The Graphics!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • This is a very common question about not only 'other' games, but Pokemon (and this is what specific on within this thread). I've never really cared about the graphics quality and appearance, I think what matters most is how good the gameplay is and the effort the programmers and creators put into it. I'm just saying, what about you guys? I'm just plain curious about this. Also I asked my school friends this and they said it was the gameplay, but one said the the graphics were more important (weird, but meh). Anyway, I'd like to hear your opinions on this thread!

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I tend to favor Gameplay over Graphics mostly becuase if you can't play the game, then it automatically gets an F in fun (A bit ironic once you think about it.).
    Not to mention that graphics tends to enchance the gameplay ever so slightly, in my opinion; so it isnt really that important compared to, say, gameplay.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Gameplay over graphics anytime. A game can be good if it has a good gameplay, but bad graphics. But a game is never good if it has bad gameplay, even if it has good graphics...

Xaviar

I left my brain in its jar
    Years
  • The gameplay is what I like the best. I frequently revisit my old Super Nintendo to play Super Mario All Stars and the Donkey Kong games because they're still entertaining.

Years
  • Gameplay is vital for its popularity obviously, though I have to say the graphics do need to have some appeal to go with the gameplay. To put this in an example, imagine a game that possesses the greatest gameplay out of all games, but it's about a red square in an environment of yellow cubes defeating monsters with extremely high AI, but they're blue triangles. Random but hopefully people get what I'm trying to say.

Honestly, I actually liked the graphics in the game and still do, even with the colour limitations they have fantastic visual appeal. Crystal is one of my favourite games of all time, shame I don't play it anymore. x_x

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I vote for gameplay, because older pokemons seem to be better than the newer games...

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Because of the nature of games, I'd say gameplay is usually more important. However, that doesn't mean that the importance of graphics should be downplayed. I'm not referring to technical quality, though. I'm referring to aesthetic. Because of the very similar aesthetics, I consider the new Pokemon games to be almost graphically identical to the original ones.

I can think of a few games that are exceptions to the "gameplay is more important than graphics" rule, but that's only because they were groundbreaking in establishing a certain visual style. Myst comes to mind easily, it was an awesome game to explore because of the extensive care that was put forth in the graphical department.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    Gameplay is very important, but I don't like how they ruin some sprites, but I don't think that's graphics, it's just design. And I don't like it when the graphic slows the game down when it isn't good graphics at all (especially in PM Colloseum; prepare some coffee before going into one of those Pokemon battles). I rather have the graphics of the old games just to have theire speed and the way they're easy to use and you don't have to push a button more than once for something to happen. I almost fell asleep when playing a battle in Ruby. I promise you, if you play FF6 and Pokemon DP the battle in FF6 will be over just after the intro of the Pokemon battle (if they are 1-hit KO battles).

Gameplay is most important (especially if you play text-based adventures :D )

Yourself

Taking a break from PC
    Years
  • Well, it depends on the type of game mostly. For example, if we were talking about a new Pokemon game, I'd defiantly have to go with graphics. Pokemon gameplay seems to only differ by a bit game to game, so and improvment of graphics would be nice there. However, if we were talking about a game more intense than Pokemon, then it'd probably we more like gameplay than graphics.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    aleways like improvements in graphics, but gameplay is maybe more important, also the length of the game is also important.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2008
    I loved the colors in R/B/Y/G/S/C. And the game play. To be clear, though, I did not like the graphics, just the colors. :]

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
    Years
  • I loved the colors in R/B/Y/G/S/C. And the game play. To be clear, though, I did not like the graphics, just the colors. :]

I like pretty colors too.

For me personally, a game needs to have better graphics and better gameplay then the first games in the series, and since because the graphics are getting better and better, people need to keep up with the times.

Back